Any compelling reason to keep Steam version as opposed to disc?

Hi,

I previously had both FSX versions installed and that was a pain when it came to installing scenery. I recently reinstalled my OS and only Steam FSX. Previously, when I compared Steam and disc I could see no appreciable difference after editing the "TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=" entry in the Display section of FSX.cfg in the disc version to match that of Steam (actually I set it higher in both versions). I also used a batch file with the disc version to run it at high priority which seemed to make the disc version run a bit smoother than Steam but that was pretty subjective.

Now I'm really irritated by the time it takes for the Steam version to load and unless there's a good reason to keep it I'm going back to the disc version only. Anything else I should consider?

Jim F.

IMHO: Only if your discs don't work. But then I've never worried about Steam in the first place. I'm sure there may be an advantage, but the only one I've read about is having FSX without discs.

I'm sure my opinion will probably elicit a lot of angry responses. But hey, we all have a Belly button! ;) Bring the responses on! We all, or at lest I, can learn from them! :cool:

BTW: I bought P3D and tried for a short while to duplicate my scenery there & Fsx. I finally decided I prefer FSX and almost never touch P3D. Only when I read in some manner it is an improvement. So far it hasn't been worth my effort.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I bought the Steam version when it was on sale for 5 bucks 16 months ago , still haven't downloaded it, If it ain't broke don't fix it. I'm waiting for DTG to release their new sim at the end of the year before I buy anymore FS stuff. P3D was a waste of time and money in my opinion.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

And Rupert:many of the reports of defective discs are due to a conflict with the way data is encoded on the FSX discs and installed disc editing software such as Nero. By going into Safe mode the conflict is eliminated and there is no problem reading the data. I've copied the contents of both FSX discs to a common folder on a hard drive and the contents of the Acceleration disc to another and install from there. Very fast.

And Double J: I watched a video of the developer of Flight School and it will be based on the FSX graphics engine. I'm not sure about their other offering but when I heard this I gave up on DTG and am in the process of installing Flight, with it's superior graphics capability, and learning how to use Flight Toolkit to enhance it's scope. The need for pristine FSX files are the main reason I'm considering installing Gold.

Jim F.

Good job getting all those building in the shot. Nice to see a blimp. Looked liek a go-around was in order though, ah, small detail.:)

Are you still on Win7?

If 10, then that may be an argument forSteam. I expect that WIn10 may cause trouble for the disk version at some point. (they have no obligation to keep supporting it). Then again, in the last two days I saw two people here say that on win 10 suddenly steam no longer starts after updates!! So it's hard to be sure.

Also concider this. You know fsx in and out. (no need to be modest). So, if at some point in the future you decide to go back to steam you can easily transfer planes and gauges, scenery and traffic over. Only payware global scenery would need reinstalling. And small stuff like FSUIPC.

rying Box out again for a while you won't lose much if it's not a success.

I've stuck with the fsx disk edition this whole time. Life is complicated enough already. I've also stuck with Win7-64. I like that fsx box edition is tried and tested and is nice and malliable.

These arguments always remind me of watching the highlander series in German. "Es kann nur einen geben!!".

Just too funny those translations.;)

Another thought. Some addon developers may at some point decide to produce only installers for Steam. Won't happen fast I think, as many still use the box edition. but, that is getting less.

You'd not think they would ask you to use Steam to use their product. But then agiain...

I'm thinking about for example PMDG while writing this.

I first heard about the 737 being fantastic 3 years ago, when I was still flting online a lot. Many there used it and loved it. But I saw the price put on the blinders. Didn't want to get too tempted.

Recently when the 777 came out I looked again, and the 737 (NGX now) price seemed more reasonable. I concidered it again. But then I saw that for many of their planes you are really expected to buy a lot more then just a plane. You 'need' Activesky, paid FSUIPC, and Navdata subscriptions as well. If not more.

I wouldn't be surprised if at some point they said Steam was a requirement.

I still see no reason for me to move to fsx Steam edition.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey,

I have a hardware system that should fly with 64bit. Whoever puts out a dependable 64 bit Flight Simulator, I'm all over it! However I will wait months or years for the newbies to debug it for me. I never buy a first year model of an automobile either. I let someone else pay in time and annoyances for the new build problems and absorb the recalls to debug it.

Yes, I know my 32 bit scenery will be obsolete with 64 bit programs. But then again, so is my Apple 2E with what I'm using now. My 2E and my Lisa served me well in their time. FSX and that related scenery has served me well for many years in their time. I can move on.

Go for the 64 bit newbies! When you get it solid, if I'm still interested, I'll join in! But I'm not up for yet another 32 bit rehash of FSX. Been there, smelled that.;)

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I installed FSX Gold 8 years ago from disks and its run smooth as silk ever since as I installed it on 4 different PC's over the years under WinXP, Win7 and Win 8.1.

Dovetail Games (who market FSX:SE on Steam) say in their publicity that they've "made a few changes which may improve performance for some users", but as my ancient disks work fine it's not worthwhile me switching to FSX:SE on the offchance that performance may or may not be improved.

Only if pitbulls chew up my disks will I switch to Steam..:)

worked nicely. (win7pro 3.7ghz 12g) Biggest drawback to me was that a few minor things (switches, gauges, etc...) on my current payware fleet wouldn't work properly. Discovered one problem on a milviz switch eventually traced to a simconnect file. Manged to fix it, but...too many bugs. I want to fly, not write code. That, and the thought of replacing everything in my payware inventory with a steam version, put the brakes on pretty hard.

I've had SE since the day it came out. $5.00 was just too good a price to pass by. I haven't had an OOM yet.

If it takes a while to load, it may be the number of sceneries, or aircraft you have. It takes longer the more of them you have installed, whatever version of MSFS you have. AI traffic, especially ground traffic, and 3D Clouds also slow things up somewhat.

Maybe something in all my rambling will give you an idea...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Well, I deleted it with the knowledge that I can always re-install it.

And Pat, it didn't seem that FSX took too long to load. It was the time it took for the Steam updates and advertising that was irritating me. In fact I deleted Steam from my Desktop while I was at it. Despite having a couple of dozen or so games in the Library the only thing I installed was FSX after re-installing my OS about 6 months ago.

Jim F.

• 2 years later...
Please see my post about FSX Disc Versus FSX Steam. Some of your comments here mirror or expand my thoughts about Steam. Hate the thought of having to learn new FS down the road. Heard but not confirmed XPlane11 is 64 bit. I have the trial version. Once I uninstall steam, which I am seriously considering, I may put it on D. But, you are limited to 15 minutes of flight with the Cessna, come guys, make the demo worthwhile to even try, give me everything for 10-20 days, and if I don't put in a registered "purchased Code" disable the whole thing or auto uninstall. Flying the Cessna is like bathing with your sock on.

Archived