Missions don't Allow 2D Main Panel to display but all other 2D panels work.

ahahlberg

I recently decided to update from my trusty FSX to the Steam Edition because of the opportunity for improvements and support that getting onto the Steam platform would mean and that a lot of people were enthusiastically endorsing.

I expected, because of my Triple Monitor situation, that I would have to redo from original FSX edition a number of previous customizations to 2D panels, mostly consisting of inserting window size and position attributes into each panel to get them to scale properly. I did about half my aircraft inventory using free flight mode to test the changes which all came out pretty well in Free Flight.

But then I tried to run some missions, Resort Supply using the Baron and Africa Relief using the DC-3 specifically

What happens is this:

1. Start FSX:SE or FSX

2. Select Free Flight and choose any of the aircraft whose panels had been corrected - perfect - no wait mouse cursor, solid 25 FPS at 6000x1080!

3. Select a Mission - only tested with Africa Relief and Resort Supply so far.

4. 2D Main Panel doesn't display - but all other 2D panels can be selected via SHIFT-N commands (2,3,4,5.....) and display correctly - but SHIFT-1 only toggles between a 1/2 screen vertically and a full screen vertically with no instrument panel showing.

5. End Mission and select Free Flight with same or different aircraft - 2D Main Panel no longer appears but all the rest do - just as with the Mission.

6. Exit FSX:SE or FSX

7. Start FSX:SE or FSX

8. Select Free Flight and choose aircraft - 2d Main Panel appears as normal

In summary then: If I do Free Flight everything works correctly but if I run a mission then all 2D Main Panels disappear and cannot be restored without shutting down FSX and restarting FSX.

I suspect it has something to do with the mission mode using that cueing window - whose scaling parameters I haven't been able to find yet - or some change made by the mission to the overall screen coordinate system. But so far, I'm getting nowhere.

Does anyone have any hints or areas I should focus on either in the .FLT files of the FSX.cfg file?

Welcome aboard! I don't run multiple monitors or have experience with them but looking into the Missions.FLT files I did run into this:

[Window.1]

Order=0

Active=True

Undocked=False

Maximized=True

ScreenUniCoords=0, 0, 8192, 2800

UndocCoords=0, 0, 0, 0

CurrentCamera={C95EAB58-9E4A-4E2A-A34C-D8D9D948F078}

Maybe these settings in the [window] or [panel] areas are keeping the 2D panels from showing as you want them to.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Archived