My first flightGear shots.

il88pp

Loving Ubuntu, Loving FlightGear!

Just installed Ubuntu. On an old 80Gb IDE HDD in an enclosure. Super simple. (disconnected Win Drives first, installed Ubuntu on the external, then connected internal drives again. I choose with the bios boot selection what os to boot.)

Then installed FlightGear. even simpler. Typed FlightGear in the search box, a button Ïnstall FLightGear showed, clicked on it, and within 10 mins everything was installed and working.

Some joystick issues still to work out. Over sensitive and inverted hat switch axis, but thatÅ› it.

Also only the basic scenery is installed with just several airports. KSFO is in there though.

Here are a few shots from KSFO.

Not all the same quality, I only discovered the graphics settings menu halfway through the flight.

Not the best graphics, but lots of fun. So far I tried the Cessna and the B777. Cessna is a bit sparse, but b777 is very nice in the vc.

Enjoy!

il88pp

----

fgfs-screen-001.jpg

-----

fgfs-screen-002.jpg

---

fgfs-screen-003.jpg

----

fgfs-screen-004.jpg

----

fgfs-screen-005.jpg

----

fgfs-screen-006.jpg

-----

fgfs-screen-007.jpg

-----

fgfs-screen-010.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks a million for that, Dominic.

I folowed that page, link at the bottom, and tried to install the new cessna.

That took me a while. But got it visible in the launcher eventually.

ThatÅ› where the realproblem started. Selecting the aircraft gave alls orts of massages about missing .xml's

I found the main .xml, and commented out all sections that called those .xml's. That made the model show.

But the game still wouldn load. Got a log with a couple of missing .wav's. Copied other .wav's, from the main /usr folder, but still got several errors. Eventually I got it so far that the dark cockpit loaded. No outside view. (Used the 'magic'loading option in Advanced.)

After that I gave up for a bit and came back with a fresh view. First do some google searching of your own. Only then did I find out the 2016 version should have that plane already... (recognised the outside model by now.)

Checked--- I was on the 3.0 version!!

Uninstalled it (this is just a trial of Ubuntu for me anyway, will install again on larger disk later.)

and eventually figured out how to install the 2016 version.

(got it from a PPA).

Now running the 2016 version.

(Have not been able to find other aircraft, only the Cessna so far. Seems like in this version I got these need to be installed manually.)

Lots of fun. That aircraft sure looks better.

Joystick control is still very erratic. No dead zone, and way too sensitive. But I found the autopilot, and that makes it possible to go exploring.

Here's two shots from the new version.

Thanks again for the tip. I missed '2016' first time I read it, should have read more closely that would have saved me hours...:)

(Then again, I just learned a lot!!)

il88pp

--

fgfs-screen-023.jpg

--

fgfs-screen-024.jpg

--

fgfs-screen-025.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

Archived