Freeware planes that rock! -1 of 2-

Wanted to share with all, and inspired by Jan's excellent posts. These are some very flyable and downright lovely freeware planes that I regularly fly on my sim despite having heaps of payware aircraft in my hangar. I think this speaks volumes for the all-round quality of these models.

Auster 2.jpg

Auster

Auster.jpg

Auster

Avia 51.jpg

Avia 51

Buffalo.jpg

DHC-5 Buffalo

C46 Commando.jpg

C-46 Commando

Dornier 28 2.jpg

Dornier 28 Floats

Dornier Do28.jpg

Dornier 28 Floats

Draken.jpg

Saab Draken

Falcon 50.jpg

Flacon 50

He51.jpg

Heinkel 51

Asus P8Z77-V Premium Mobo w\32GB MSATA Caching SSD On-Board | i7-3770K CPU | 16GB DDR3 1600 | FSX Gold on 1TB boot SSD | P3Dv4 on 512MB SSD | 1TB+2TB WD HDDs | 2 Asus GTX660 2GB Ti Cu cards w\SLI | Win7 Pro 64 | REX Full Catalogue | ORBX FTX Full Catalogue | Saitek Flight Control Pro w\Dual Throttle Quadrants+Pedals | 24"+2x19" HP Monitors | 1000W PSU

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Won't let me attach more than 12 so I had to split into two parts.

Mariner 2.jpg

PBM Mariner

Mariner.jpg

PBM Mariner

PC-6H Turbo Porter 2.jpg

Pilatus Turbo Porter

PC-6H Turbo Porter.jpg

Pilatus Turbo Porter

Puss Moth.jpg

de Havilland Puss Moth

Rapide 2.jpg

de Havilland Dragon Rapide

Rapide.jpg

de Havilland Dragon Rapide

Seeker 2.jpg

Seeker

Seeker.jpg

Seeker

Twin Pioneer.jpg

Scottish Aviation Twin Pioneer

No energy (admitting I'm too lazy while trying to sound sophisticated!) to post links to download but they are mostly from the file libraries of Flightsim.com but I will try to post later or upon requests (if any). My two cents' worth of contribution. Hope you like.

Asus P8Z77-V Premium Mobo w\32GB MSATA Caching SSD On-Board | i7-3770K CPU | 16GB DDR3 1600 | FSX Gold on 1TB boot SSD | P3Dv4 on 512MB SSD | 1TB+2TB WD HDDs | 2 Asus GTX660 2GB Ti Cu cards w\SLI | Win7 Pro 64 | REX Full Catalogue | ORBX FTX Full Catalogue | Saitek Flight Control Pro w\Dual Throttle Quadrants+Pedals | 24"+2x19" HP Monitors | 1000W PSU

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Great post, Khalid, I don't know why it has not been done before. My sim of choice is FS9. I've never even considered FSX, so the aircraft that I will add to your list are all FS9 planes. This is just a quick selection from my active hangar; I have in excess of 250 planes from which I could choose, and that would take some time and organization. But, from among those that I regularly fly, these are among my favorites. In each case you will notice that the airplanes are painted in the livery of my choice, mostly by me, and all have 2D panels that duplicate, to the extent possible, the planes original. OK, here we go...

6-3-8ShupAC.jpg

First on my list are the Aero Commanders of Milt Shupe. As a matter of fact, any and all of Milt's planes are wonderful flyers, well detailed, and a joy to have.

3-3-8Shup_Lockheed.jpg

This is another Shupe aircraft that has long been missing from availability. It is a wonderful representation of a by-gone era. Now some personal favorites and some odd-ball selections...

5-3-8Cessna185.jpg

This C185 belongs in every hangar. This aircraft is a classic! My own paint, obviously.

8-3-8Cessna404.jpg

This is the Cessna 404 Titan of Mike Stone. No matter the controversy that seemed to surround Mike, he gave us wonderful, no frills, models that flew beautifully. This is one, but I have several, and you can't go wrong with any one of them!

7-3-8AirNE.jpg

Another of my nostalgic favorites. I had many hours as a passenger on this aircraft and in this livery. It is an AI plane made to fly. Like Mike Stones planes, it is no frills (the doors don't open, etc., but it flys well). Here it is at MVY just cleared to the active.

4-3-8Baron55.jpg

This is another favorite! It is a Beechcraft Baron B55 (there are none, freeware or payware, for FS9). This is an older, well modeled AI plane made flyable. The paint is mine, and if you could see inside, you would see one of my better panels. When you can't find what you want already made, check what there might be in the AI fleet (there are tons); some of these models are excellent, and who cares if the doors don't open. Do we enjoy this sim because doors open and close, or because an airplane is fun to fly?

Last, but not least, another favorits. This is not an FS9 plane either; it is either from FS2000, or FS2002, can't remember. However, it is a plane that I flew as a student pilot back in Marathon, Florida, back in the day, as they say. It has been made to fly in FS9 and does so extreemly well. I've painted it up to replicate the Cherokee 140 I actually flew...

1-3-8Cherokee 140.jpg

And as you can see, this one sports one of my home made panels...

2-3-8Cherokee 140.jpg

If this thread continues to grow, as I believe it will, I will dig into my reserve Hangar for more of my favorite freeware airplanes. I have many, many of them. Freeware aircraft, sceneries, and gauges are the very backbone of FS9 and FSX. Without the freeware developers constantly seeding these sims, they would have perished years ago. I applaud these selfless people, I thank them, and I thoroughly enjoy their work. There are no payware planes in any of my hangars!

Great looking planes, both of you guys.

Klee, you said, "the controversy that seemed to surround Mike" (Stone). What controversy? I guess I didn't get the memo on that one. As you said his A/C are great flyers and he is/was prolific. If I wanted a freeware plane and it was from Mike Stone I could be assured it would be a good one.

Bill Mattson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Airspeed, altitude and ideas, bad to run out of all three at the same time

Klee, you said, "the controversy that seemed to surround Mike" (Stone). What controversy? I guess I didn't get the memo on that one. As you said his A/C are great flyers and he is/was prolific. If I wanted a freeware plane and it was from Mike Stone I could be assured it would be a good one.

I never knew it, either!

http://combatace.com/topic/5097-mike-stone-controversy/

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Hey, Zippy and Bill, I really don't know all the ins and outs of the Stone hub-bub, but apparently there were many complaints about his planes. They were too plain, they were not sufficiently detailed, their panels were rudementary, you know the stuff. The long and short of it was that after a while Mike got sick of it and turned his back on the flight sim arena and never looked back. It's to bad, because he gave us several excellent flying machines. I never cared for his panels, but I didn't complain, rather I learned how to creat panels, studied the real airplane, and then developed a panel for Mikes airplane. Recently, I started flying for a Vertual Airline. They made me Eastern Regional Manager and I immediately set about setting up (within the umbrella of the VA) a commuter/charter airline in the southern section of New England. I used the basic routes of Cape Air and started off with a Cape Air 402C (they don't make that airplane for FS9 either), but when I learned that the 404 Titan had a better useful load, I switched. That aircraft needed a new panel, and I gave it one. Granted, I do take some license. There are enough years since these planes were manufactured to assume some updating along the way, but I try to keep them close to how the actual planes really looked. Mike gave us a treasure of flying models; I have most, and I fly them regularly.

Thank you Bill for the compliment.

Klee: thank you for building on this thread, and thank you for your kind words. I love the repaints and the panel (wow) you made for your aircraft. I also have a crush on the Electra - Hudson - Lodestar line of aircraft, and I even bought a payware one for my simming utopia. I am going through the motions of learning to repaint (or so I wish to think). I am sure you're more read than I am in here so what you say about Mike Stone's controversy must have roots, but I tend to agree with Bill and Zippy's proposition that whatever unfair criticism was thrown does not discount one bit off the heft and class of Stone's work. As they say, and notwithstanding how good the product is, you'll get the odd troll here and there; there'll always be one! His work is much more than a gift horse, and its mouth is flawless, well no frills, agreed. In fact the Scottish Aviation Twin Pioneer that I have listed was built on Mike Stone's base model:

Pionner On Short Final PIK.jpg

as well as dozens others in my inventory too. I too keep FS9 running although the eye candy allure of FSX has its charms.

Thank you Gene for the lovely Tracker, and it looks that we both use the same AI Ships and AI Ship Traffic for FSX by Henrik Nielsen, which is an awesome series of freeware addons. Can't imagine my sim without it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I didn't mean to demean Mike Stone's work, or his conrtibutions in any way, to the contrary, I think he was a giant in the arena during the time he was a participant. He was, however, driven from it by those who would criticize almost anything. To bad, we were the loosers! I have reworked several of his planes and may even post another here shortly, but first, we have a trip to the doctors office in the offing,

I didn't mean to demean Mike Stone's work, or his conrtibutions in any way, to the contrary, I think he was a giant in the arena during the time he was a participant. He was, however, driven from it by those who would criticize almost anything. To bad, we were the loosers! I have reworked several of his planes and may even post another here shortly, but first, we have a trip to the doctors office in the offing,

You didn't, Klee! To the contrary you were, like the rest of us, lamenting the loss of his milestone contributions. Hope all goes well with the doctors.

Oi' there, someone has a soft spot for the DC-4 :P :confused: guess who?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mr. Stone earns a statue, he gave us a LOT of great stuff! :cool::cool::cool:

(click on the pic to enlarge)

Don't forget the DC's!! Like this DC-4:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]187784[/ATTACH]

Low red light makes that baby shine against darker background! Awesome Jan!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Some more freeware I love:

Arado.jpg

Arado 196

B-47.jpg

The sexy B-47 over Edwards

Badger.jpg

The Tupolev Tu-16 Badger

C46.jpg

The C-46 Commando

Douglas Destroyer.jpg

Douglas B-66 Destroyer

Dragon Rapide.jpg

My fave, the de Havilland DH-89 Dragon Rapide

Mriage F1EQ.jpg

Mirage F1EQ

Peacemaker.jpg

Convair B-36 Peacemaker (the auto-correct suggests that I should rename this into Conair!!!!)

Valiant.jpg

Vickers Valiant (by Mike Stone)

Victor.jpg

Handley Page Victor

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A soft spot for the DC-4? Who?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]187801[/ATTACH]

ROFL Jan! Shall we start a competition, spot the DC-4 lover?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Some more freeware I love:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]187791[/ATTACH]

Arado 196

[ATTACH=CONFIG]187792[/ATTACH]

The sexy B-47 over Edwards

[ATTACH=CONFIG]187793[/ATTACH]

The Tupolev Tu-16 Badger

[ATTACH=CONFIG]187794[/ATTACH]

The C-46 Commando

[ATTACH=CONFIG]187795[/ATTACH]

Douglas B-66 Destroyer

[ATTACH=CONFIG]187796[/ATTACH]

My fave, the de Havilland DH-89 Dragon Rapide

[ATTACH=CONFIG]187797[/ATTACH]

Mirage F1EQ

[ATTACH=CONFIG]187798[/ATTACH]

Convair B-36 Peacemaker (the auto-correct suggests that I should rename this into Conair!!!!)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]187799[/ATTACH]

Vickers Valiant (by Mike Stone)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]187800[/ATTACH]

Handley Page Victor

Where is the B-47 and the Tu-16 available? :cool:

System specs: AMD FTX 6300 six core processor 3.5 GHz, Video card Nvidia Geforce GTX 750 Ti 2 GB on board,

Windows 8.1 64 bit and 1 TB on hard drive.

Where is the B-47 and the Tu-16 available?

They are ex-Alphasim which were made available -if my memory does not betray me- as freeware on some web site that belongs to Alphasim. I know that the Tu-16 is also on Flightsim.com under FSX Tu-16 Badger Update

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?do=copyright&fid=180733

and link for the Stratojet too:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?do=copyright&fid=184873

Hope that helps, Gene.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Jennifer, Right?:rolleyes:;) Those sunglasses hide a lot!

Aniston or Lopez? be more specific please :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Aniston or Lopez? be more specific please :P

Just referring to the guy in the pink sunglasses who you keep substituting E for A in his name that we pronounce like this emoji.

mqKyqYQRcfPGgEH-V-6zfUQ.jpg Sorry, can't get that "Dutch growl" going!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Where is the B-47 and the Tu-16 available?

They are ex-Alphasim which were made available -if my memory does not betray me- as freeware on some web site that belongs to Alphasim. I know that the Tu-16 is also on Flightsim.com under FSX Tu-16 Badger Update

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?do=copyright&fid=180733

and link for the Stratojet too:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?do=copyright&fid=184873

Hope that helps, Gene.

Thanks! :cool:

System specs: AMD FTX 6300 six core processor 3.5 GHz, Video card Nvidia Geforce GTX 750 Ti 2 GB on board,

Windows 8.1 64 bit and 1 TB on hard drive.

Just referring to the guy in the pink sunglasses who you keep substituting E for A in his name that we pronounce like this emoji.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]187809[/ATTACH] Sorry, can't get that "Dutch growl" going!

Goodness, I'm so sorry, it is Jan not Jen. I apologise. Thank you Zippy for pointing this out.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry Jan really thought your first name was with an "e" until I had another peek at your profile. Early dementia signs for me. Apologies proffered.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived