FS2004>Windows 7; FSX>Windows 10>Steam??? What to do next?

Minas Man

:D Good afternoon all: Here's one which may have been addressed in other places and I sincerely apologize if I'm in the wrong place :confused:

After many years of service, my old, faithful, Dell is dying. That is the place where my beloved FS2004 resides. Obviously, I know I should upgrade but am limited by a fixed income (no high-grade gaming computer for me), and I'm still satisfied with FS2004.

While trolling Ebay, I noticed this company that provides gaming computers at a reasonable prices. The possible hitch is that all his computers run Windows 7 (which I suspect is how he can afford to sell on the cheap).

My question is does this seem like a good investment to you guys? Are there any known issues between Windows 7 and FS2004? Or, should I just scrap up the money (???), buy a more expensive machine (with Windows 10??) and get the steam edition of FSX :confused:

I really love 2004 but I can't see myself sinking money into a dying machine, that's about 10 years old, and running Windows XP (although XP is a darn good OS). Any insight from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Reginald (Mina's Man):D

I have run FS9 in win7 with no problems and am now running it in win10 with no problems. There is only one rule to follow for hassle free operations, do not install into ANY program files folders.

If the win7 computer is of a reasonable spec and cash is a problem, that is the route to go. The win7 machine at present will probably be able to get the free update to win10 as well.

Win7 is great, it is what Vista should have been, and more game friendly than Win10; and since you are familiar with XP, Win7 will be more comfortable than Win10 (a friend describes the latter as a smart phone with a 23" screen). You will also have less problems with older games/programs (such as FS9) in Win7 than in later versions of windoze; do not install anything to "Program Files" and you should be quite happy with a new system.

Win7 is great.

I would suggest: scrap up th emoney.Buy the computer in parts, and build it yourself.

i5 processor, 8gb Ram, vidiocard Nvidea, gt540 or higher.

buy a Separate Win7-64 DVD. Complete install with activation code.

Problem with Prebuilts is they often don't come with a full install DVD, only a restore DVD.

I see from your post building yourself may not be an option.

In that case, the ones with win7 you mentioned are fine.

But again, don't skimp. Get the best one they have.

And make sure to choose one with a videocard and plenty of Harddisk space.

(HD3000 is not a videocard, it's a graphics chip in the processor. Not good. Look for NVidea.)

I googled similar PC's for someone, a lady, thread 2-3 months ago in Newcomers forum.

After some research I found most of them would be extremely difficult to add another drive to.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Problem with Prebuilts is they often don't come with a full install DVD, only a restore DVD.

Many don't even have that, just a "recovery" partition (the D: drive); so if you have a hard drive failure you are SOL.

This happened recently to a neighbor who asked me to check his laptop which wasn't booting; not only did he have to buy a new HD, he had to buy a copy of Win7. Then I had to spend half an hour on the phone with Micro$oft because somewhere on his system was still data that it was a Win7 Home system so the new Win7 Pro wouldn't validate. (And Micro$oft wonders why they are so despised.)

Thanks, il88pp: Sound advise, but I must tell you that building my own computer scares the hell out of me. Don't laugh, please. I was on another forum, and suggested maybe I'd purchase an Alienware and got flamed into oblivion. Went down quicker than a Mig shot down by an F-15. :o

Was told that companies like that use cheap parts. I don't know, myself but, to tell the truth, I don't think I could afford an Alienware anyway.

Anyway, I definately look for the best pre-built that my wallet can afford.

This is to Jgf and Copperpen: I've noticed that "program files" advice somewhere else (here, I think). Am I understanding this right: Create a different folder from the default that Flightsim suggests. I think I also read somewhere that I must also log in as adminstrator. Could you guys explain that to me...or I'll just find it in the archives. Thanks, again.:D

I won't laugh. I understand it sounds daunting. On the other hand, you could nowadays call it assembling. Parts just click in their sockets, as simple as screwing in a lightbulb. On the other hand I can see how choosing the parts is difficult. And so is putting the whole thing together if you ever did anything inside a computer before.

It went in steps for me. First I got a computer that was built by a friend. So I knew that was possible. At some point I installed a videocard, also easier then I thought. Just slot it in, start the pc and install the driver. Later added an extra harddisk, that tought me about partitioning a new drive. Had to re-install Windows once, which was easier then I thought. Especially now I knew how to partition a drive and make it ready for writing to. And so on.

Eventually a neighbour threw out his old PC that no longer worked. I asked if I could have it, took it apart, cleaned it out well, and put it together again. After some tinkering I got it to run well. It was faster then my old PC, so I quickly switched.

My current PC I spent a few months picking good parts, then put it together in a day or two. Feels good to know exactly what's inside, especially the mainboard. In prebuilts the mainboards are often not well documented.

Ah well, nevrmind that. I do remember the days when to me my computer was just "a black box" under the desk. I can understand if you are afraid to even look inside it.;)

I fully understand you want a prebuilt.

Back to you.

I think to advise you best on a PC it is wise to choose first which Sim you want to use.

If you are on a budget it may be best to stick with FS9.

FSX takes considerably more processor power. A 3.4 Ghz processor is recommended to really be able to enjoy that.

With FS9 you can do with a 3.0 Ghz processor. Or maybe lower even.

That is... Intel Processors. AMD processors cannot be directly compared by clock speed. A 3.4 Ghz Intel is faster then a 3.4 Ghz AMD processor.

Also, when you find something that you think is good, run it by the Forum. Ask, post a link, and maybe someone can have a look at it for you and point out a weakness you may have overlooked.

Or post several, and someone can help you pick the best option.

Another thing. Post a budget you had in mind for the PC. That will help us think along.

il

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is to Jgf and Copperpen: I've noticed that "program files" advice somewhere else (here' date=' I think). Am I understanding this right: Create a different folder from the default that Flightsim suggests. I think I also read somewhere that I must also log in as adminstrator. Could you guys explain that to me...or I'll just find it in the archives. Thanks, again.:D[/quote']

Definitely install outside of any Program Files folders. That takes you away from the very strict controls placed on those folders and makes adding things and editing files much easier.

No need to log in as administrator, just set the exe to Run as Administrator. To do that, find the FS9.exe and right click, then click on Prpoerties. There will be a tab labelled Compatibility, open that and look near the bottom for a check box labelled Run as Administrator. Tick that and then click OK.

............. I've noticed that "program files" advice somewhere else (here' date=' I think). Am I understanding this right: Create a different folder from the default that Flightsim suggests. I think I also read somewhere that I must also log in as adminstrator. Could you guys explain that to me...or I'll just find it in the archives. Thanks, again.:D[/quote']

Reg,

1. Location: you have the right understanding - simply point the installer to another location (for example C:\FS2004). You can instruct the installer to create the folder by typing it in the location field or you can create it prior to running the installer and then point to the created folder. Note that, by default, some files (such as logbook, scenery.cfg etc will be created outside of the FS folder.

2. Administrator: Two options available here. You can set FS to run in admin mode simply by RIGHT click on the desktop icon and selecting PROPERTIES from the menu list. Click on the COMPATIBILITY tab and then check the 'Run this program as an Administrator' box and then click the APPLY button. The second option is to change your account into an Admin account

3. WRT buying a new rig and OS - I would suggest getting a decent Win 7 rig and before installing FS update it to Win 10 to see if you like it. From upgrading to W10 you have 30 days to roll back to the original OS. As has been pointed out several other posts, most new rigs come with the OS pre-installed but without CD media. The first thing to do before installing any software is to make a set of rescue disks - the procedure for this is normally referenced in the documentation that ships with the rig and, in effect, gives you a copy of the OS.

Regards

Brian

Hello MM

I note you are on a budget.

Well I was as well when I bought my current PC.

It is an HP Pavilion (I can give you the full spec if you are interested).

It probably comes under the category of all round family pc.

It is currently running W8.1

By no means any sort of gameing machine.

It runs 9 and X very well.

This new machine was a revelation after my old XP ,P2.8 ,2Gb setup.

Not only does it run both sims, it starts up and is ready for use in seconds.

Not the thirteen minutes it was sometimes taking my old machine.

Anyways this PC was about £430 UK.

I would imagine in the U.S. the equivalent would be cheaper still.

If you were considering a gameing machine then I am sure your budget would easily strech to something of similar spec to mine ,or indeed even higher without busting the bank.

PS My location for Fs9 installation within W8.1 is this.... C:Fs9 .

Choose the same or similar and you'll have no problems with 7 8 or 10 admin issues.( techies MAY have something to say on this ,but I believe I am broadly correct)

PS I use my new (well not so new now ) PC for FSing alone, keeping it un clogged up with STUFF!

Anyways some thoughts

Andy

Hello Clayton

The specs are...

Processor.....AMD A8-6500 APU with Radeon HD Graphics ,3500 Mhz 2 Cores ,4 Logical Processors.

Ram 6.00 GB.

Graphics are...AMD HD 8570D+Radion R7 240 Dual Graphics.

The R7 240 is the Gcard.

I think it's the entry level Radion card ,but does a fine job for me ,certainly no complaints .

Not sure what the HD 8570D part of the graphics setup is or what exactly dual graphics is about.

Anyways this PC does an excellent job for me ,even with (whisper it) an AMD processor.

Hope that helps.

Cheers Andy

JSMR, +100

I have done that in Win 7, 8, 8.1 & 10, with UAC right down. UAC does absolutely nothing except nag! Also done the same on 20 odd PC's at our VA.

Always into the default directory!! NEVER a problem or issue, ever.

Far too many urban legends out there..

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Re: Urban Legends

Many years ago I went onto sevenforums.com and found out how to change the folder permissions in the Program Files (x86) folder (I use Win7 x64 Ultimate) so that I have total control over my Flight Simulator 9 folder directory and all it's sub-directories, folders and files.

Due to the wide differences in ages and abilities of forum members, it's just easier to advise them to install outside of Program Files than try to walk them through the permissions process.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Re: Urban Legends

Many years ago I went onto sevenforums.com and found out how to change the folder permissions in the Program Files (x86) folder (I use Win7 x64 Ultimate) so that I have total control over my Flight Simulator 9 folder directory and all it's sub-directories, folders and files.

Due to the wide differences in ages and abilities of forum members, it's just easier to advise them to install outside of Program Files than try to walk them through the permissions process.

Just turn off UAC. Easy. :)

Archived