Anyone EVER seen this malfunction before in FS9?

Roger Wensley

Steve installed my Merrill Field PAMR scenery and then emailed me about a weird huge and gold coloured "thing" in the sky. I had seen something like it years ago when I first made PAMR, then never saw it again, so I forgot about it. Steve experimented and found that deleting PANC V5 made the "thing" go away, and installing PANC V4 was ok. At first. I fiddled with PANC and PAMR textures (mipped the few that were unmipped, etc) and now we both have the "thing", either as a vertical wall in the sky or a horizontal on the ground. Steve could see (in one of its formats) that it was using the texture that provides the signage in FS9, "aptsign.bmp". Renaming this texture gets rid of it. Removing textures within PANC changes the form of the "thing" (colour, striping, etc) so surrounding scenery is in some way involved in this. Is it a local failure of FS9 signage, along the lines of too many signs in 4 square miles or something equally stupid? I have had both PANC and PAMR on my computer for years, and Elmensdorf and Lake Hood. I now wish I hadn't mipped the unmipped! And now to add a pic. I hope.pamr problem.jpg

I saw something once that appeared as a big wall that I traced down to a taxi sign.

Removing that offending sign also removed the wall.

I cannot remember where it was, or if it was in FS9 or FSX.

I found it by slewing along the anomaly until I found the sign.

If I remember correctly I had to zoom way out to see it because it would disappear as I got close to the sign.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

I did that when it was a big wall in the sky, and it reappeared attached to a different sign! I can see I will probably have to remove all of them. I haven't counted them, way too many. It won't make a practical difference as renaming the texture removes all the signs anyway. Replacing them with handmade signage will be a bit painful. What I am really wondering about is WHY? and then, How many others have the problem but haven't told me?

I suppose now you are going to tell me it was at Merrill Field and 5 years ago?

I doubt it, it was at a big airport. Much bigger than anything you have made, to my knowledge.

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

I suppose now you are going to tell me it was at Merrill Field and 5 years ago?

Nope, Kuala Lumpur and two years ago... https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?275913-Problem-With-kliav2-zip-when-on-ground-level-%28Kuala-Lumpur%29&highlight=sign

Never argue with idiots.

This may or may not be relevant ... When I first started on this forum, so over 6 years ago, there was a guy who reported a "similar" sounding problem.

The solution was... He'd made something or other, and made it say 10m high. He thought that he'd therefore made it 10 metres high, whereas, it was in fact ... 10 miles high.

Steve from Murwilllumbah.

What's new? hahahaha

What would OPA say?

I'm still trying to see the weird huge and gold coloured "thing" in the sky of the screenshot ...... and all I see is a familiar small and yellow cub in the sky. I am chagrined at the Bean and the "thing".

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What would OPA say?

Something along the lines of "good joke".

I'm still trying to see the weird huge and gold coloured "thing" in the sky of the screenshot...

It is on the ground.

As Roger said in the OP...

and now we both have the "thing", either as a vertical wall in the sky or a horizontal on the ground.

Never argue with idiots.

I had a similar issue some years ago, not with sign textures but runway markings. If memory serves me well relayering the scenery in the area cleared this up, though I'm still at a loss to explain what happened.

what3.pngwhat1.pngwhat2.png

Archived