FSX SE - How to install Traffic Toolbox ?

Hi everyone,

I have FSX Steam Edition. I also have FSX original but I have misplaced it somewhere. In FS2004, I used to have the traffic toolbox under "modules" in the top menu. However, I cant seem to get this in FSX SE. I did plenty of research and I cannot get it to work. I have SDK SP 1 and SP2, but it still wants me to go back to FSX and install the original FSX SDK from Disc 1 (which I don't have at the moment). So, what is the next step from here? Please advise, thank you.:D

FSX:SE comes with the appropriate traffictoolbox.dll in ...\FSX:SE\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK.

There is also a dll.xml that has what you need to copy to your working dll.xml which is located next to your FSX.cfg in C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

FSX:SE comes with the appropriate traffictoolbox.dll in ...\FSX:SE\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK.

There is also a dll.xml that has what you need to copy to your working dll.xml which is located next to your FSX.cfg in C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE

peace,

the Bean

Thanks for your help. I located both files. Where do I have to copy these files? in other words, what am I suppose to do with the files?

You do nothing with the .DLL, leave it where it is.

Do you have a DLL.XML at C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE?

If not,...

... copy the DLL.XML from the SDK folder and paste it in C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE

If you do,...

Open the DLL.XML in the SDK folder with Notepad.

Copy the following...

Traffic Toolbox

False

False

..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll

....and paste it in the DLL.XML located in C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE

Paste it at the end of the file, just before...

Check to see if the Traffic Toolbox shows up in the in-game menu.

You may need to edit the line and replace the relative path with an absolute one. That is how mine is and I cannot remember if I had to change it.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

You do nothing with the .DLL, leave it where it is.

Do you have a DLL.XML at C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE?

If not,...

... copy the DLL.XML from the SDK folder and paste it in C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE

If you do,...

Open the DLL.XML in the SDK folder with Notepad.

Copy the following...

....and paste it in the DLL.XML located in C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE

Paste it at the end of the file, just before...

Check to see if the Traffic Toolbox shows up in the in-game menu.

You may need to edit the line and replace the relative path with an absolute one. That is how mine is and I cannot remember if I had to change it.

peace,

the Bean

Still very confusing. Anyways, I managed to change the ai aircraft labels to show their flight plan route. I am trying out Traffic Look as an alternative to watch ai traffic for now. Thanks..

• 1 year later...
Still very confusing. Anyways, I managed to change the ai aircraft labels to show their flight plan route. I am trying out Traffic Look as an alternative to watch ai traffic for now. Thanks..

I also like to view AI traffic in spot view mode (I like watching approaches and landings)....What is "traffic look" and did you get it working?

Also, how did you change the AI aircraft labels to show the route?

Thanks,

C

• 11 months later...

An older post, but the answer is to find this in your fsx.cfg and change it. These are my personal settings:

[AContain]

ShowLabels=1

ShowUserLabel=0

ShowLabelManufacturer=0

ShowLabelModel=1

ShowLabelTailNumber=1

ShowLabelDistance=1

ShowLabelAltitude=1

ShowLabelAirline=0

ShowLabelAirlineAndFlightNumber=1

ShowLabelFlightPlan=1

ShowLabelContainerId=0

ShowLabelAirspeed=0

ShowLabelHeading=0

LabelDelay=1000

LabelColor=FFFF0000

• 1 year later...

I have installed FSX De Luxe on my D:\FS8\FSX and the SDK of disk1 is on D;\FS9\FSX-TOOLS\SDK.

I modified the dll.xml as follows:

Launch

dll.xml

False

False

Traffic Toolbox

False

False

D:\FS9\FSX-Tools\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll

But Trtaffictoolbox does not show in the menu.

Jive1 - Belgium

What have I done wrongly

IIRC, for FSX:SE you need to have the SDK from P3D.

Version 1.4.4747.0

You can get it at the FSDeveloper Resources section.

Here IS The LINK

Download it, run the installer. Point it at the folder of your choice, and when you go to add the different .dll files to your DLL.XML file, just make sure that the path is perfect. Capital vs lowercase letters, symbols, spaces, whatever.

Do you need an example that I know works? It's on my system.

Traffic Toolbox
True
False
..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll

I change the entry when I need to use a particular .dll. Keeps the sim load time down to have fewer entries loaded at the same time. Keeps the load on the RAM, VAS, and CPU down, too.

The SDK is on a different drive than the sim, but I have several of the .dll's in my in-game menu, so I know they work. Also, some .dll's will only load if they're located under the sim's folder.

I copy the pathing from the Explorer menu bar at the top of my screen, then just type in the name of the .dll I want to have show up in my menu. Sometimes it's an .exe file you need, not a .dll, but in that case, just place the desired entry into your EXE.XML file instead of the DLL.XML .

The most important thing to remember is the SDK version. The Version 1.4.4747.0, as far as I know is the only one that'll work with FSX:SE. I may well be wrong about that though...

Good luck!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

If you want to go a step further there is a program called 'Super Traffic View Board' for FSX, it has a few nice features where you can follow the ai aircraft the full journey if you wish plus listen to ATC talking to it.

There is another program too called 'AI TrackerX' which is similar to STVB and that has even more features.

Col.

Jive1 says he is using FSX DeLuxe. Not SE.;)

(SE is mentioned in the much older part of the thread.):)

---------------

The dll.xml file you use seems OK. No errors.

Except the path looks very strange.

The FSX-SDK normally installs in a folder:

..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\

FS9\ as start of your path? You are not using the FS9 SDK I hope?

and \FSX-Tools\ ?

seems strange also.

If you first created a folder

D:\FS9\FSX-Tools\

and installed the FSXDK in there,

I would expect the path to be

D:\FS9\FSX-Tools\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll

Make sure the path you are using is correct. Look in your D:

drive, then use copy-paste to put your path in the dll.xml file.

---

Traffictoolbox will show in the "Tools" menu in the menu-bar in FSX.

Edited by il88pp
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]