Weather updating

gdr54

Is anyone else having weather update issues using the default weather update every 15 mins setting as of 1/1 16. Trying to determine if I am having MS Vista issues again. It is updating but seems to be stuck in the South wind flow at KDFW or KDAL and the weather here is actually winds out of 330.

Thanks

GDR

From what I've seen over time, and read on the forums, the default weather is a vry hit-and-miss operation. Sometimes you get "real" updates, sometimes partial, sometimes none for weeks or months. I gave up on the default weather, and went to FSRealWX. Either Pro or lite. It's freeware, and doesn't take very much in the way of computer resources to run.

There are also a number of payware weather inputs for MSFS, but I am a cheap SOB....errr...FRUGAL...VERY VERY frugal!

:D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Thanks for the info , I am looking at FSReak WX but according to thier website the FSReal WX Pro is payware 20.00s in Euro so what ever the US breakdown. And I am alos lookinfg at Active Sky. Just not sure if my older machine can run it without problems.

Is anyone else having weather update issues using the default weather update every 15 mins setting as of 1/1 16. Trying to determine if I am having MS Vista issues again. It is updating but seems to be stuck in the South wind flow at KDFW or KDAL and the weather here is actually winds out of 330.

Thanks

GDR

I was flying from CYVR dct CYOW the other night and noticed something weird about the FSX weather updates. During climb, the wind was nearly off the tail starting at about 60KTS. As the climb to FL330 continued, the tailwind was increasing to over 100KTS. Normal for the time of the year.

But, when the weather updated after 15 minutes, the wind became 125 degrees at 21KTS. Only after the next 15 minute update did it go back to what it should of been...some 100+KTS off the tail. For the entire trip, the cruise winds shifted back and forth every 15 minutes as described.

So, you are seeing something not quite right, GDR.

Thanks for posting your observation.

Cheers,

Jim

Sometimes I get hit & miss too as I depart PHX to ? on the average. I use default weather as I don't like to spend money as I do not buy online & sometimes can be frugal too. I just recently departed PHX for arrival at SNA, using default weather it was raining in PHX with 3 mile visibility per default weather internet at that time, as I departed the sky was blue with little clouds. So once again it does not always work as I wish it could. I read a posting on this subject from Pat about FSRealWX, will check out freeware version. Kenny

I use the default weather options in fs2004 as well. A couple of times the wx at the departure and arrival airports and en route was CAVOK per the real world. So I deleted all clouds and saved the settings only to find on each occasion I encountered clouds everywhere. Even selecting the option in the sim to delete all wx then re-booting and adding CAVOK again didn't work.

Dijvid

The FSRealWXPro SAYS it's payware, but it works just fine without registering it. I think the Readme file it has included mentions this. The payware warning it pops up is "Not Applicable".

If you pay for it, you get a few features it won't have if you don't, but it stays free, and works great. I still use it, and have never payed a penny. It's kinda like FSUIPC. It IS payware, but works fine without paying for it, too.

Great software design, and designers, in my opinion.

Remember, there IS a "freeware" version, called FSRealWX Lite, too, with some features not included. Essentially, it's like using the Pro version without paying for it.

Look around their website. It's all there :D

Pat 1st thanks for your service.

I can't say every second was "fun", but I am proud to have served in the greatest military arm out there. I always say: "How could I NOT serve? Look at all America gives US, how can I not do my little bit to serve America, in return??"

Thank you for the recognition, though. I really appreciate it.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Archived