Doubts on GTN 750 650 from Flight1

kiri

Hi. Im thinking on buying one of this Garmin addons. Some doubts arrises:

1. Difference between gtn 750 AND 650.

2. Do they come with the necesary database ? (Iv read the you cannot import plans from FSX)

Thanks. Any other issue is welcome.

kiri

The 750 has approach charts for the US, the 650 doesn't have any charts. That's the biggest reason to get the 750 vs the 650 if you're only buying one.

No they don't use plans from FSX and the database they use isn't connected with FSX's database in any way. They come with what would have been valid real world nav data for April 2015 just as any real world owner would have had installed in his real world unit on that date. You can have current data every month if you subscribe to the Garmin updates but the subscription will cost you the same money a real world operator would pay and it's quite expensive. Garmin has updated the trainer several times since these gauges were introduced and each time they've updated they've also given us fresher nav data along with the update.

The autopilot will control your aircraft based on that data or you also have the option to override and use the default FSX GPS navdata. If you want to put the flight plan into the FSX GPS in tandem with what you're flying in the GTN you'll need to make a separate GPS flight plan (.pln) and load it as you normally do (Plan G is perfect for this). It's not necessary though.

Best thing to do if you want to see what it's all about is download and install the Garmin trainer, you can use it as either the 650 or the 750 and see the differences yourself without spending a dime. You'll need it installed to use the Flight1 gauges anyway so if decide to buy the gauges you can just skip the step of installing the trainer during the install of the gauges. Get the Garmin trainer here:

http://www.flight1.com/link.asp?id=gtn

(redirect to the Garmin download page (large download, 1.9 Gb)

Jim

• 1 year later...
Please sir is the trainer like a demo or what?

I saw about 49.49 dollars on flight1 site and now there is a free version called the trainer?

I need more info on this thank you.

The information is all on the Flight 1 website. The FSX Garmin GTN 750 and GTN 650 are TWO separate purchases, each of which consists of THREE elements

1: The Garmin software by Flight 1 to display in your simulator

2: The navdata to enable 1: above to interact with the simulator

and

3: The Garmin simulator from Garmin which drives the whole thing - and which contains its own display unit so it can act as a standalone training unit for either the GTN 650 or 750. This is a free download so you can practise with either GPS head unit to see which meets your needs better

Clear?

The trainer is provided by Garmin and anyone can install it, try it, and use it for free. It's a stand-alone application completely independent of the sim. The trainer is just that, it's provided by Garmin for real world pilots who have installed these units in their aircraft so they can learn how to use them on their PCs at home.

The Flight1 product is basically an interface that allows the free Garmin trainer to be run as a functional GPS gauge inside the sim, it can be installed into any aircraft and Flight1 provides a utility that does all the panel.cfg edits for you with just a couple clicks.

It's important that you install the correct version of the Garmin trainer or the Flight1 gauges won't work. Be sure to download the trainer from the link I posted above rather than directly from Garmin where you run the risk of installing an incompatible version.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...
I have also been looking at the available GPS addons and Flight1 has a similar product to Reality XP. I am putting together a GA simpit and would like to run either of these products on a second computer on the same network. Has anyone actually done this?

• 1 month later...
Please sir is the trainer like a demo or what?

I saw about 49.49 dollars on flight1 site and now there is a free version called the trainer?

I need more info on this thank you.

yes, it is in the files for GTN 750 and GTN 650 and down blelow a bit you will fee trainer.

What I do not know it that I purchased it about 3 hours ago and have flown my C 310 R 11

Archived