Recommend an airport

GridNorth

Can anyone recommend an airport to start flying passenger aircraft from with valid gates, jetways etc. I'm trying to get into flying a 737 but every airport I've tried leaves me miles from a gate or embedded in a building or vehicle. The former happens with default scenery, the latter with ORBXEU.

Al

At the selected airport, are you choosing a gate that will fit your aircraft? For a 737 I would reccomend a medium sized gate. This does not guarantee a jetway. You will have to experiment with gate selections. Keep in mmind that when your 737 is placed at a gate, your nosegear will not be on the proper spot. I think the "Center of Gravity" spot is placed on the T.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I have tried all the gates at several airports and always get the same results. I was hoping someone could recommend an airport and gate where it works for them so that I can try it for myself and take it from there.

Alan

Try KSFO any medium gate in the A terminal. So, like gate A-7. That should be Terminal 1 For Southwest, Alaska, US Air.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Ok, to answer your original question, here are a few sceneries for different areas of the world:

NA:

SunSkyJet KPHL (a MUST! Best Freeware airport in existence)

FlightBeam KSFOHD (Their newest scenery! Looks promising.)

FSDreamTeam KIAH (Looks awesome IMO.)

Imaginesim KATL 2016 (Another brand new scenery with jaw dropping features!)

EU:

UK2000 Sceneries (Take your pick, they're all great! I use the free trials, which work.)

Aerosft Sceneries (Mega Airports are nice.)

Asia:

Wing Creation RJDU (One of the better airports for Japan. No really good quality sceneries for Japan sadly.)

Islandsim RCTP (Looks like a good quality scenery with high quality custom terminal buildings.)

Aerosoft ParoX (for a real challenge!)

AU:

FlyTampa Sydney (Another new scenery...)

ORBX FTX YMML (Looks a little dated, but it's still FTX, so it should be quality!)

ORBX FTX Brisbane (Looks newer and fresher than YMML.)

Hope this list helps you, and any others who want to get into payware sceneries.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I must not be explaining myself very well. Lets try a different tack. My aircraft, when loaded at a gate, end up either too far away from that gate to be able to use the jetway or embedded in the building. The latter is, I think, mainly with Orbx EU scenery. I am looking for a default Airport and gate number that someone out there knows works so I can try it as I have tried several and get the same problem every time. It's as if my runways and airport layouts are out of synch.

Alan

I must not be explaining myself very well. Lets try a different tack. My aircraft, when loaded at a gate, end up either too far away from that gate to be able to use the jetway or embedded in the building. The latter is, I think, mainly with Orbx EU scenery. I am looking for a default Airport and gate number that someone out there knows works so I can try it as I have tried several and get the same problem every time. It's as if my runways and airport layouts are out of synch.

Alan

Alan,

I noticed you thought the issue might be with ORBX. I am enclosing a screen shot I just took. I'm using the default 737 & ORBX Northern California at KSFO Gate A-7, which Mr Zippy suggested. All I did was tell the sim I wanted to start the flight at gate A-7, then start the flight, set the parking brake, tick F12 to get the overhead view, then advance the jetway. I don't see how it could look any better. Just so you know which airplane I'm talking about, it's the silver one on the right along the straight wall. Gate A-7 is the far right gate before you get to the round gate setup.

KSFO A-7 jp.jpg

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

My aircraft, when loaded at a gate, end up either too far away from that gate to be able to use the jetway or embedded in the building...It's as if my runways and airport layouts are out of synch.

No big deal, just use Slew mode to gently slide your plane to the correct position, or am I missing something?..:)

Grid North,

I noticed the ORBX EU in your posting so I just tried some UK airports with ORBX EU England, Wales, Scotland, & both Irelands. That and I really focused on Gatwick and Heathrow. Thinking because of size, they wold be the biggest challenge.

For all of the airports I tried, the only one I had a Jetway problem with was Cardiff. At Cardiff I couldn't make the Jetways work whether just starting the fight or taxiing up to them and parking in position. However I did notice, all the Cardiff Jetways were showing Red lights before I taxied up. And from the aerial view they appeared to possibly be already advanced out of their normal position. That was the case whether I started the flight there or taxied up. I tried to extend and retract them, they made no movement at all. But even in Cardiff, the plane was correctly parked on the spot when I started the flight there.

Gatwick, Heathrow, and the rest I checked all the Jetways worked perfectly whether starting the flight at the gate or taxing to the gate. And the plane always started the flight at the correct spot in the gate.

If there is a specific airport other those I listed, I'll give that a try. There are a lot of airports in the UK!

When installing a new vc you get a discrepancy between vc position and aircraft.

Remember, the vc is only the inside view.

I have the default 747 vc in the default 737 aircraft.

When in the vc, I park next to the jetway. But the jetway won't extend.

Reason: In outside view the aircraft is still too far away from the jetway.

I get back in the vc, and go forward a little. And park up close to the pushback truck.

Now in outside view all looks ok. And the jetway does extend.

Extending the jetway depends on where the plane is. Not on where the vc is "parked".

With that plane and vc the difference is small.

With other planes the distance is sometimes too much. To the point where it gets idiotic, and unusable, with aircraft or vc-view in a building.

It could easily be an issue with the plane(s) you are using.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for all the replies. A 737 parked at KSFO Gate A-7 worked OK so why I can't get the plane to line up with a Gate at Gatwick or Heathrow is a bit of a mystery. So, now I know it's not a widespread issue with every airport, I will continue to experiment.

Alan

Thanks for all the replies. A 737 parked at KSFO Gate A-7 worked OK so why I can't get the plane to line up with a Gate at Gatwick or Heathrow is a bit of a mystery. So, now I know it's not a widespread issue with every airport, I will continue to experiment.

Alan

I just did test trials in and out of London airports. Starting a flight, ending a flight, etc. worked perfect at both Gatwick & Heathrow! Started the flight there, the Jetways worked fine. Landed and taxied to the same gates, Jetways were fine.

I just did a series of the same flights in So. Cal with the 737 starting and flying into and out of KSAN & KLAX, no issues with the Jetways on either of those airports.

I tend to believe this issue has something to do with your software downloads or installs.

What happens when you do CTRL-J to activate the jetway to move twards the aircraft?

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

Windows 10 Home 64bit. FSX Deluxe with Acceleration. Motherboard: ASUS Prime H310M-E R2.0 LGA1151 (Intel 8th Gen) DDR4 HDMI VGA H310 Micro ATX. Processor: Intel® Core™ i3-8350K. Video: EVGA GeForce GT 1030 DDR4, 02G-P4-6232-KR, 2GB SDDR4. Memory: Kingston (2X 8Gb) 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz.

Archived