Alphabet soup: MDLs, BGLs, and XMLs.

F-3guy

Is there a way to convert the static scenery aircraft into flyable aircraft? I'm trying to yank the Helio Stallion from the Reno Air Race and convert it into a user aircraft for my own personal use. The complexity of the BGL and XML files are baffling since I have yet to find a decompiler that I can figure out how to use.

The short answer is NO!

Static scenery is just a 3D Model (MDL) with a texture wrapped around it.

Then given a location and compacted to a BGL. (something like that).

It would EZer to create the aircraft from scratch.

GDR1944:

I know there is a better to enplane it but I gave a stab at it

Army Engineer Veteran..Busted for insubordination Nam-1966 :cool:

Hey, thanks for the reply!

I was afraid of that. Oh well. You're probably right, an exterior model and set of exterior texture files wouldn't do very much good without the interior model, panel, sound, interior texture, .AIR, and .CFG files to go with them. I mean I guess I could try grafting some of those missing files from some other user aircraft, but where's the fun in that?

:pilot:

Just curious: How exactly does one compile scenery objects to BGL? I'm also trying to create some of my own scenery objects and can't figure out exactly how to hande the compiling process. Please forgive my noobiness on this, I'm kinda new to the software development side of flightsim.

Update: I've abandoned my pursuit of the Helio Stallion in order to focus on the L-39 from Reno. That seems to be an overall more simple aircraft. I did manage to find a good BGL disassembler, and simply grafted the missing files from the Learjet and F/A-18. I'm currently working on tweaking the contact points and flight dynamics to make the aircraft fly convincingly. Things will get really interesting once I start working on the animations and the textures for spinning turbofan.

Archived