Texture problems with airports

vry

After several filghts? How long of a period of time? I am assuming multiple flights in a row without much of a break in between. Possible graphics card overheating. Dust clogged air ducts in the computer case, maybe?

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

It could also be due to you running low or even out of memory, especially if you are making multiply flights one after the other without rebooting for the PC for awhile.

If you open Task Manager (by right clicking on the taskbar and selecting Task Manager from the resulting menu) you will be able to see if is related to a lack of memory. When task manager opens click on the Performance tab and then select the memory option from the list located on the left hand side of the window.

Areas to look at are the Memory usage graph - basically, if the line is near the top you are running out of memory - and the bunch of figures at the bottom of the window that details your memory usage. Basically the In Use and Committed totals is memory that is assigned and in use by programmes and cannot be written to by other programmes. The Cached total is memory that is in temporary use by programmes and can be used by other programmes - it is this memory that FSX will use to draw textures. If it gets all used up (i.e. so that the total reads 0mb or near 0mb) then programmes can only use it by overwriting other areas of the cache.

Regards

Brian

Raised areas could indicate elevation problems. Do you have FTX Vector installed? If yes, run the Elevation Correction Utility in the FTX Global Vector Configuration Tool.
http://www.crossed-flag-pins.com/animated-flag-gif/gifs/India_120-animated-flag-gifs.gifhttp://status.ivao.aero/414320.png

GPS 5.JPG

Thanks for your replies. I am buying FTX Global Vector (it's on sale right now at FS Pilots Shop) and FTX Global Base Pack. I hope this helps.

I will checkout the Memory usage graph & write back.

I have 64 GB Premium DDR3 memory by Corsair, and a Intel Core i7 5960X 8-core. I was hoping that this would cope.

Despite this, fsx crashes after about 15 minutes (every time). It's also very unpredictable, because yesterday, on the 3rd boot up, fsx lasted over an hour. My computer doesn't work well under Windows 8.1 but it is configured to use Windows 7.0 for fsx.

I tried to dual boot, but I live in a small town, and this amount of expertise is not available.

Cheers 'vrystaat'

[quote=vry;1953254..........I will checkout the Memory usage graph & write back.

I have 64 GB Premium DDR3 memory by Corsair, and a Intel Core i7 5960X 8-core. I was hoping that this would cope..................................

The fact that you have 64Gb of RAM makes no difference. FSX is a 32-bit application and can not use more than 4Gb of Virtual Address Space and hence RAM. By having 64Gb all you are guaranteeing is that FSX is more likely to have access to a full 4Gb - but once it hits the 4Gb buffer you start to get problems and the only way FSX can keep running is to try and overwrite some of the 4Gb that it is using.

Something else that also impacts on the amount of RAM available to FSX is the OS. Basically, under a 64 bit OS, each 32 bit application can use up to 4GB (of course, you need to have more than 4GB, because the OS itself needs memory), but on a 32 bit OS, no more than 4GB can be allocated in total to all running apps. In fact, without modifying the default settings a 32-bit OS will only allow applications to use up to 2GB of address space and there is no benefit to be had by installing more than 4GB of physical memory. On a typical installation only around 3GB of physical memory is actually usable, the rest is masked by video memory and various system devices. On a 64-bit install, however, the main benefit from having more than 4GB is that you avoid reading virtual memory pages from the hard drive, even when other applications are running besides FSX.

Regards

Brian

[ATTACH=CONFIG]184938[/ATTACH]

Thanks for your replies. I am buying FTX Global Vector (it's on sale right now at FS Pilots Shop) and FTX Global Base Pack. I hope this helps.

I will checkout the Memory usage graph & write back.

I have 64 GB Premium DDR3 memory by Corsair, and a Intel Core i7 5960X 8-core. I was hoping that this would cope.

Despite this, fsx crashes after about 15 minutes (every time). It's also very unpredictable, because yesterday, on the 3rd boot up, fsx lasted over an hour. My computer doesn't work well under Windows 8.1 but it is configured to use Windows 7.0 for fsx.

I tried to dual boot, but I live in a small town, and this amount of expertise is not available.

Cheers 'vrystaat'

Sadly for you, FSX is a very old program. Though you certainly have an impressive CPU, FSX won't address all those cores. The Acceleration Pack helps a little but uses nothing like what your chip has the capability of. FSX performance is primarily a function of processor speed.

I just went to the Intel site and learned your 5960 has a native speed of only 3GHZ & turbo speed of 3.5GHZ. Which with 8 cores makes your machine fly with new software. For FSX both speeds are pretty good & better than what a lot of people are using but certainly not great. A 4 core CPU with a native 4GHZ or more would work much better with FSX than what you have.

I suggest you use the advice already given by others of how to get the most out of what you have. As I have said, many people do quite well flying FSX with 3GHZ or less. Though it does take some thought.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Thanks everyone for your learned comments.

This is by far the best answers to any technical question I’ve posted on these forums.

I am enclosing a graph of performance data just prior to crashing.

I asked over a friend who is a computer engineer. He said comments very much like your answers. He offered to tweak, but I said maybe not.

Cheers and Merry Christmas.

Jannie LoweMemory Usage (2) 12-01-15.JPGMemory Usage 12-01-15.JPG

Archived