P3D Virtual Reality Setup For iPhone Users

fleahead

While I'm waiting for the Oculus Rift to be released, I wanted to get some VR experience, so I started looking for some alternatives. I messed around with a bunch of different apps and programs, but either I couldn't get them to work, or I couldn't afford them. I ran into a post on another forum that made reference to the files I'm listing below. Anyway, after downloading the stuff and loading everything up, it actually worked! And works pretty well. I'm rather surprised how well the graphics look, although it is far from being HD, the effect is still impressive. Although this is designed for iPhone connection, there are similar programs for Android.

The equipment I am using:

* P3D - I’m using V3 but it should work with V2 or even FSX

* iPhone - any model will work, but those with a retina display, like my 6+, will look better

* VR Headset - Google Cardboard would be at the quality low end, but the cheapest. There are a ton of pretty good quality ones on Amazon. (There is a world of difference between Google Cardboard and any $30-$40 alternative).

Downloads needed:

* VR Streamer iPhone app - from the App Store for $4.99. The only purchase you will need. Actually, the download is free to try out. It will time out in 10 minutes then you have to restart it. The $4.99 is an in-app purchase.

* VR Streamer Server here: https://github.com/gagagu/VR-Streamer-Windows-Server/archive/master.zip

* GVRS 1.3 for Opentrack from here:

https://github.com/gagagu/ftnoir_tracker_gvrs/releases/download/1.3/libopentrack-tracker-gvrs_1.3_windows.zip This is a dll file that will be explained later. When you unzip the file it will expose the dll.

* OpenTrack - download here:

https://github.com/opentrack/opentrack/archive/unstable.zip This is a cool program that provides head tracking from the inertia sensors in the iPhone.

* Vireio Perception 1.05 - download here:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/downloads-section/summary/4-vireio-perception-1-x-legacy-drivers/9-vireio-perception-1-05-w-philipax-dll

There will be a short timer count down before you can do the free download, then you have to click the terms agreement, then you can make the download. This creates the 3D format.

OK, so that's everything you will need. I'd recommend keeping these downloads in separate folders to keep confusion at a minimum. Here's what I did next:

1) Unzip the perception_d3d_proxy_1.zip. You will find Perception.exe in the bin folder. Make a shortcut to put it on the desktop or pin to the Start Menu. (You should also go into Properties and set it to Run As Administrator. This is something that you should do to any exe file involved with P3d).

2) Unzip VR_Streamer_Windows_Server... zip file. They really have the setup.exe buried under a bunch of folders. Looks like Gagagu VR Streamer Server\Setup 5\Setup 5\Express\DVD 5\Diskimages\Disk1. You should see setup.exe there. Run the installer and remember to set the executable to Run As Administrator, and make a shortcut.

3) Open the OpenTrack folder and run the installer. Note where the installation is located. Make a shortcut of the opentrack.exe file and set it Run As Admin again.

4) Unzip the libopentrack-tracker-gvrs_1.3_windows.zip file, then copy the dll to the Opentrack installation folder where the opentrack.exe is.

So now, we can start putting these to work.

1) Run the Perception program. There are only two settings. Set the top one to DIY Rift, and the other set to No Tracking. That's all.

2) Run Opentrack.

* Set Tracker to UDP sender

* Protocol = Microsoft FSX Simconnect

* Filter = Accela

* Options

Shortcuts

1) Set the Centering Method to Relative (Inertia Device)

2) Center at startup.

3) In this tab you can also set shortcut keys to center the image when you are facing directly forward.

(You will find you need to do this quite often, so use a key, like SPACEBAR for this function)

Game Detection

1) You need to find your FS executable (Prepar3d.exe) using the directory icon on the right

* Go ahead and START it now

3) Now start your Sim. (I found I had to disable EZCA (if you use it) to stop screen flickering). You should start off with a

simple VC cockpit forward facing screen.

4) Run the VR Streamer Server now.

* Enter to IP of the PC the Flightsim is on.

* Network port is 6666.

* Now to get the Process filled in, you have to click the Adjust Service dropdown to find the Sim you are running.

For instance, I find Prepar3d. You may see FSX if that is what you are running. Anyway, move it over to the

Process window with the little arrow.

* In Extras checkmark Simulate 3D

* In Cursor, I checked Show Cursor, since I want to see the cursor. I made mine yellow with a size of 6. You may

have to adjust the cursor correction to match the screen cursor. My main screen is 1920x1080, yours may be

different.

* In Border Corrections, I had to set mine at 0 for Top & Bottom and 500 on Left & Right. Depending on your screen

resolution, you may be different. Adjust to taste.

* You save these setting in Profiles. Click on New, name it, then Save it. Click Start Server now.

5) Run the VR Streamer app on the iPhone

* Receive Stream Data = ON

* Stream Server IP = enter the IP of the Sim PC

* Stream Server Port = 6666

* Send Tracker Data = ON

* Tracker Data Receiver IP = Same as above

* Tracker Data Port = 4242

* Simulate 3D = OFF ( you can switch these around between here and the server if you want.

* Lens Correction = that's up to you if you want to experiment. I found no benefit.

* Tap CONNECT TO SERVER and you should see a Side by Side image and as you turn the iPhone about,

it should track the movement. Insert the iPhone in the VR headset and welcome to Virtual Reality!

The next thing you'll find is that you need to make changes on most of the view settings, like the zoom and eyepoint.

That's what I've been doing the past two days... learning how to modify the camera settings.

Another hint:

I found that I was getting some stuttering of the video coming to the iPhone. I read a post from another guy that was using this setup, that if your wireless router is dual output, (whereas it provides a 2.4G and 5G signal), for some reason, the stuttering was eliminated on the 5G signal. It also worked for me.

If you find any errors with my instructions (highly likely) let me know and I'll correct it. Also, if I left anything out.

• 11 months later...

hello my friend!

this article is AMAZING! you explained everything and made my simulator work while I spent many hours with different solutions trying to find what s happening.

I have only one issue to resolve.

I use ipod as a device. up and down works fine, while left and right is opposite. how do i correct this?

thank you

(I use FSX)

• 4 months later...
While I'm waiting for the Oculus Rift to be released, I wanted to get some VR experience, so I started looking for some alternatives. I messed around with a bunch of different apps and programs, but either I couldn't get them to work, or I couldn't afford them. I ran into a post on another forum that made reference to the files I'm listing below. Anyway, after downloading the stuff and loading everything up, it actually worked! And works pretty well. I'm rather surprised how well the graphics look, although it is far from being HD, the effect is still impressive. Although this is designed for iPhone connection, there are similar programs for Android.

The equipment I am using:

* P3D - I’m using V3 but it should work with V2 or even FSX

* iPhone - any model will work, but those with a retina display, like my 6+, will look better

* VR Headset - Google Cardboard would be at the quality low end, but the cheapest. There are a ton of pretty good quality ones on Amazon. (There is a world of difference between Google Cardboard and any $30-$40 alternative).

Downloads needed:

* VR Streamer iPhone app - from the App Store for $4.99. The only purchase you will need. Actually, the download is free to try out. It will time out in 10 minutes then you have to restart it. The $4.99 is an in-app purchase.

* VR Streamer Server here: https://github.com/gagagu/VR-Streamer-Windows-Server/archive/master.zip

https://github.com/gagagu/ftnoir_tracker_gvrs/releases/download/1.3/libopentrack-tracker-gvrs_1.3_windows.zip This is a dll file that will be explained later. When you unzip the file it will expose the dll.

* OpenTrack - download here:

https://github.com/opentrack/opentrack/archive/unstable.zip This is a cool program that provides head tracking from the inertia sensors in the iPhone.

* Vireio Perception 1.05 - download here:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/downloads-section/summary/4-vireio-perception-1-x-legacy-drivers/9-vireio-perception-1-05-w-philipax-dll

There will be a short timer count down before you can do the free download, then you have to click the terms agreement, then you can make the download. This creates the 3D format.

OK, so that's everything you will need. I'd recommend keeping these downloads in separate folders to keep confusion at a minimum. Here's what I did next:

1) Unzip the perception_d3d_proxy_1.zip. You will find Perception.exe in the bin folder. Make a shortcut to put it on the desktop or pin to the Start Menu. (You should also go into Properties and set it to Run As Administrator. This is something that you should do to any exe file involved with P3d).

2) Unzip VR_Streamer_Windows_Server... zip file. They really have the setup.exe buried under a bunch of folders. Looks like Gagagu VR Streamer Server\Setup 5\Setup 5\Express\DVD 5\Diskimages\Disk1. You should see setup.exe there. Run the installer and remember to set the executable to Run As Administrator, and make a shortcut.

3) Open the OpenTrack folder and run the installer. Note where the installation is located. Make a shortcut of the opentrack.exe file and set it Run As Admin again.

4) Unzip the libopentrack-tracker-gvrs_1.3_windows.zip file, then copy the dll to the Opentrack installation folder where the opentrack.exe is.

So now, we can start putting these to work.

1) Run the Perception program. There are only two settings. Set the top one to DIY Rift, and the other set to No Tracking. That's all.

2) Run Opentrack.

* Set Tracker to UDP sender

* Protocol = Microsoft FSX Simconnect

* Filter = Accela

* Options

Shortcuts

1) Set the Centering Method to Relative (Inertia Device)

2) Center at startup.

3) In this tab you can also set shortcut keys to center the image when you are facing directly forward.

(You will find you need to do this quite often, so use a key, like SPACEBAR for this function)

Game Detection

1) You need to find your FS executable (Prepar3d.exe) using the directory icon on the right

* Go ahead and START it now

3) Now start your Sim. (I found I had to disable EZCA (if you use it) to stop screen flickering). You should start off with a

simple VC cockpit forward facing screen.

4) Run the VR Streamer Server now.

* Enter to IP of the PC the Flightsim is on.

* Network port is 6666.

* Now to get the Process filled in, you have to click the Adjust Service dropdown to find the Sim you are running.

For instance, I find Prepar3d. You may see FSX if that is what you are running. Anyway, move it over to the

Process window with the little arrow.

* In Extras checkmark Simulate 3D

* In Cursor, I checked Show Cursor, since I want to see the cursor. I made mine yellow with a size of 6. You may

have to adjust the cursor correction to match the screen cursor. My main screen is 1920x1080, yours may be

different.

* In Border Corrections, I had to set mine at 0 for Top & Bottom and 500 on Left & Right. Depending on your screen

resolution, you may be different. Adjust to taste.

* You save these setting in Profiles. Click on New, name it, then Save it. Click Start Server now.

5) Run the VR Streamer app on the iPhone

* Receive Stream Data = ON

* Stream Server IP = enter the IP of the Sim PC

* Stream Server Port = 6666

* Send Tracker Data = ON

* Tracker Data Receiver IP = Same as above

* Tracker Data Port = 4242

* Simulate 3D = OFF ( you can switch these around between here and the server if you want.

* Lens Correction = that's up to you if you want to experiment. I found no benefit.

* Tap CONNECT TO SERVER and you should see a Side by Side image and as you turn the iPhone about,

it should track the movement. Insert the iPhone in the VR headset and welcome to Virtual Reality!

The next thing you'll find is that you need to make changes on most of the view settings, like the zoom and eyepoint.

That's what I've been doing the past two days... learning how to modify the camera settings.

Another hint:

I found that I was getting some stuttering of the video coming to the iPhone. I read a post from another guy that was using this setup, that if your wireless router is dual output, (whereas it provides a 2.4G and 5G signal), for some reason, the stuttering was eliminated on the 5G signal. It also worked for me.

If you find any errors with my instructions (highly likely) let me know and I'll correct it. Also, if I left anything out.

Hi my friend thank for your opinion, but we have a problem about your links

https://github.com/gagagu/ftnoir_tra....3_windows.zip It's not working please recreate this link...

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I found a way to accomplish the same thing as in the tutorial above. Apparently the app used isn't accessible in all countries. I found an app called iVRy that will work with your phone and connect to P3D via steamVR. It is quite a nice little program although you have to buy the full version for like $5 USD.

Archived