Win10 and Dreamfleet/Flight1 Wrappers

scottb613

Hi Folks,

Been away for - a while - been poking around again and having trouble with some of my aircraft under Win10... I wanted to try installing some of my Dreamfleet aircraft and the Flight1 wrapper doesn't even seem to work... In my absence - has this been discussed and is there a fix ? Appreciate any help... I'm no fan of Win 10 but I'm reluctant to go through the effort to roll back...

Regards,

Scott

bJQZKiw.png

Hi Scott

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with Windows 10 and the Flight 1 wrapper system.

If there is a general problem here with the wrappers then it will affect all of their offerings which includes those for FSX as well as FS2009. Do we know this for sure or is it just that you are unlucky? If there really is a problem with the wrapper system then if Flight 1 doesn't update them for Windows 10 then they aren't going to get any more sales and they will have masses of simmers down their throats with complaints about not being able to reinstall what they have already bought. Somehow I think this will be unlikely.

However, I have a cautionary tale to tell. Quite some time ago I bought an a/c which used Flight 1's [now] out of date wrapper. When I tried to install it I got the message that I could only do this if I had the new wrapper. So I e-mailed Flight 1 and was told that they couldn't help me. It seems that they couldn't even plop a new version of whatever into my account even though they could see that I had bought the a/c in the past. The only option available to me was to purchase the a/c again and I certainly wasn't going to do that!! And I'm not using Windows 10 - I have Windows 7!

It seems that you may well be a lover of Dreamfleet's a/c just as I am. As I have a morbid dread of anything which can leave a third party in control of what I can access and use - such as wrappers and activations - I decided to buy the CD versions of Dreamfleet's Bonanza, Baron and Cessna 310. You can still get them and the joy is that you can just install them straight from the CD - no wrapper, no activation and it creates its own licence key for you. Maybe you might like to consider this?

And maybe you might like to return to Windows 7? Yep, a PITA I know, but at least you will be sure of being able to run your sim again.

Dijvid

Hi Scott,

Are you sure that its directly related to W10. It maybe related to your AV suite and/or Win Defender (MS's built-in antivirus app), that's causing the problem. Defender, which ships with Win 8 and 10 and is set on by default, is a poor mans' AV suite and isn't really a full blown AV suite such as AVG/McAfee/Norton etc. It could be seeing the 'wrapper' as a virus and not letting it run. I currently use Norton but have used others in the past and any thing that I have got from Flight 1 has always been pinged as a PuP (Potentially Unwanted Programme) - basically something within the wrapper is seen as a risk.

I have Defender turned off and solely rely on my current AV suite as Defender seems to ping things as infected when they have been deemed safe by other AV packages

Regards

Brian

Hi Scott,

Are you sure that its directly related to W10. It maybe related to your AV suite and/or Win Defender (MS's built-in antivirus app), that's causing the problem. Defender, which ships with Win 8 and 10 and is set on by default, is a poor mans' AV suite and isn't really a full blown AV suite such as AVG/McAfee/Norton etc. It could be seeing the 'wrapper' as a virus and not letting it run. I currently use Norton but have used others in the past and any thing that I have got from Flight 1 has always been pinged as a PuP (Potentially Unwanted Programme) - basically something within the wrapper is seen as a risk.

I have Defender turned off and solely rely on my current AV suite as Defender seems to ping things as infected when they have been deemed safe by other AV packages

I think you may be being a little unfair, Brian. Defender - or to give it its correct title Microsoft Security Essentials - is not a "poor man's AV" as you put it. It is a very capable AV suite which I and countless others have been using very successfully for several years and it does its job admirably.

As for Defender pinging PuPs I have never, ever had this - not once. And most certainly it has never reported the Flight 1 wrapper as unsafe in any way, shape or form.

I can thoroughly recommend Microsoft Security Essentials, which BTW is free, to anyone who wants effective AV cover with a program which is simple and easy to use and which also has a small footprint compared to some payware offerings.

Dijvid

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the responses - while I am pretty experienced with both Windows and MSFS - I didn't spend a great deal of time on this... I did click the wrapper and I know it attempted to launch - but - no screen came up whatsoever... I tried compatibility mode and run as admin - no change... I'm pretty sure Flight1 won't help - because my operating system doesn't match their "Required" operating system listed on the web page... That said - I've always found Flight1 very helpful and a class act - so maybe it's worth a try...

Glad to see some people still here - I figured by now everyone would have moved on... I'll play around with this again when I get a chance... Yeah - my Dreamfleet planes are still the best - nod to Lou - and I'll be pretty disappointed if I can't get them to work... I'm working on my real life instrument rating and this is one area MSFS makes for a good training tool for real world flight ops...

Thanks again... I'll follow up here if I figure anything out...

Regards,

Scott

bJQZKiw.png

Archived