Can Skinman files (*.skin) be made available?

694B32

Hi! I'm really getting into AirManager now and enjoying it. The gauges are very smooth and responsive when flying - even though I am using Air Manager on the same PC as FSX.

I'm also starting to create some gauges. At the moment I'm flying the Flight1 Britten Norman BN-2 Islander so I'm trying to match the gauges in that. My programming ability is (very) limited :o but I have managed to make rough Airspeed and Fuel Quantity gauges. Cloning is a great asset in AirManager and I wouldn't achieve anything without it. But it would save a lot of time if the Skinman (*.skin) files were available and the logic lua would then also directly fit the dimensions positioning in the gauge. Is there any way Skinman files could be made available?

Thanks for a fantastic program. Wish I'd bought it earlier!

Rich Cooke

Hi Rich,

We don't have access to the Skinman source code, so that will be difficult. We might build a tool some day, that let's you drag and drop the images and add text fields, so it's all a bit easier. But that's far away I'm afraid, we're too busy with other stuff. Sorry!

Rich

Russ, also working with Sim Innovations and Air Manager. We were thinking of creating some type of graphics library on our upcoming Webboard. We would make some standard components and possible skinman source files that others could tweak. Does that sound interesting to you? Seems like many of us are reinventing the weel in very new instrument. It would be nice to have some basic code snippets that could be used for various types of instruments too? Perhaps you'd like to get involved in helping set up and moderate such a library?

Let me know

Russ

Hi,

As far as I understood Rich he wants the gauges .skin files so he can make changes and build his own gauges based on that. I believe this could be a good thing to be shared as it would save quite a lot of time building this ones. I'm building a Seneca V and these files would help.

Thanks,

Filipe Bessa

Hum.. I get it.

Yeah, these templates would be a good thing. I wanted to update the Cessna 172 Airspeed to the Seneca V because they look similar. Starting from scratch will not be good. =(

Currently working on the Radar Altimeter, again, starting from scratch..

Hi all - thanks for the interest here. You are right Russ that we "are reinventing the wheel in every new instrument". It was that I was hoping to solve. Filipe has got exactly what I was looking for- "Rich ...wants the gauges .skin files so he can make changes and build his own gauges based on that. I believe this could be a good thing to be shared as it would save quite a lot of time building this ones."

I am assuming that if I sent someone my .skin file then they would get a file that could be loaded into Skinman at their end for adapting and editing. I don't know if it would work but if one of us designs and sends you a gauge that is uploaded for other people to use then could the .skin files be included when they download the gauge? I think they are quite small. Of course people may use other software to design gauges so it wouldn't necessarily work for all gauges. But where ".skin" files are available it would save having to start with nothing when all you want to make is a small change. My attempt are very much just a beginning and not very professional but I would be very happy to share my *.skin files for others to adapt/improve.

Russ I don't have any expertise in setting up or moderating a library but I'd be happy to contribute some time if I can be of any use.

Rich

Archived