Touch Screen with FSX Boxed?

Hi All,

Do you use a touch screen with FSX? If so, any advice on what you use, and how successful/functional it is, would be very much appreciated.

I currently run FSX with three screens - one for the VC and use the other two for 2D panels. I'm thinking of exploring the possibilities of a touch screen in order to interact directly with the 2D panels instead of the mouse.

I know this isn't a new concept, but I'd like to hear what actual FSX users have experienced and is it worth it?

In other words, is the "pain-in-the-ass-to get-it-set-up" factor worth the the functionality (and immersion) to pursue this?

I'm currently running box-FSX (not FSX-SE) under Win 8.1 - I don't use the Metro interface...

Much thanks in advance!

E-Buzz :pilot:

i5 4690k @ 4.7gHz (Water-cooled), 8GB ram, GTX 960 2GB, 850 EVO 1 TB SSD, 50" LED TV + 2x27" monitors, Thrustmaster HOTAS, Win 8.1 Pro, P3DV4, TrackIR, EZDOK, a bunch of Orbx stuff, a chair, a hacked-up desk, and a cold drink.

There is nothing to "set up".

FS does not know or care if an input comes from a mouse click, keyboard or touch screen.

For a fixed 2D panel it might not be too bad.

I tried it on a laptop, in the VC, and quickly grew tired of the figure smudges on the screen.

Also note that it is OK for things like switches yet tuning radios is pretty much impossible.

A lot of the click zones are too small for use with a touch screen where your finger will touch many pixels compared to a mouse pointer that only touches one.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Hi StringBean,

Thanks for the reply noting your experience. It's a shame that a touchscreen can't be used to turn the knobs...

Oh well, I guess I'll hold off on picking one up.

Thanks again for the reply!

i5 4690k @ 4.7gHz (Water-cooled), 8GB ram, GTX 960 2GB, 850 EVO 1 TB SSD, 50" LED TV + 2x27" monitors, Thrustmaster HOTAS, Win 8.1 Pro, P3DV4, TrackIR, EZDOK, a bunch of Orbx stuff, a chair, a hacked-up desk, and a cold drink.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I want to use multiple monitors on my PC (as in different views); I am using a multi HDMI USB3 “powered” hub outlet. I know if I use the AVG outlet in conjunction with HDMI I can drag and drop a panel (or more) onto this monitor, however, all my HDMI monitors are displaying my desk top and all respond the same as my main monitor; (I am aware of the reason for this) “Does anyone know of a way to individualise each of the monitors”?

I have four monitors running and a 50in LED TV without any problems.

I’m using an AMD Radion HD-500 series graphics card (yes I know it’s long in the tooth but I get excellent frame rates so I’m loathed to upgrade) and FSX Gold flight sim, I’m using Windows 7Pro with a 6core AMD CPU with 16gig of ROM.

The reason for this request is that I want to build a desktop cockpit layout; I have all my hardware and ready to (TRY!!!!).

I have no doubt that simmers out there will know how to save sixteen hundred dollars in hardware by using a touch screen monitor as an overhead panel, (it works a treat).

Thanks in advance.

• 1 year later...
Hi All,

Do you use a touch screen with FSX? If so, any advice on what you use, and how successful/functional it is, would be very much appreciated.

I currently run FSX with three screens - one for the VC and use the other two for 2D panels. I'm thinking of exploring the possibilities of a touch screen in order to interact directly with the 2D panels instead of the mouse.

I know this isn't a new concept, but I'd like to hear what actual FSX users have experienced and is it worth it?

In other words, is the "pain-in-the-ass-to get-it-set-up" factor worth the the functionality (and immersion) to pursue this?

I'm currently running box-FSX (not FSX-SE) under Win 8.1 - I don't use the Metro interface...

Much thanks in advance!

Yes I do. I once had a dream like yours, that of substituting a mouse with a touch screen and thanks to a friend, I landed on https://comparily.com/best-touch-screen-monitor/. The touch screens on this site are just heavenly. I'm an avid FSX user and would definitely recommend those touch screens to any one in pursuit of unrivalled interation. Try them out with your FSX and let us know your experience with them.

Hi Touchme,

Wow! Talk about "blast from the past!"

Thank you for the link - very helpful! I guess touch screen tech has advanced a bit since I've asked this question.

Which screen do you use/have used?

Thanks again for your response!

Archived