DVD drive won't install FSX in Windows 10

fullflap

Help!

In spite of trying 3 different copies of FSX installation DVDs, I just can't get the program to load in Windows 10 for a first install.

The DVD drive chatters away incessantly and the best I can get is the list of contents of various files and folders.

Selecting 'Run as Administrator' or attempting to manually select the WindowsInstaller-KB89308-86x.exe or setup.exe options results in error messages suggesting insufficient disk space and the KB89308 file is for 'a different platform' whatever that means!

Has this happened to anyone else please and is there a fix, like installing from an ISO file?

Are there other compatibility issues between FSX and Windows 10?

I completely overlooked the obvious - could this all be down to a 64-bit compatibility issue and is there any sort of work-around please?

Cheers = Bob

To me it looks like you are losing or lost your DVD drive, if I am understanding "The DVD drive chatters away incessantly ...".

I bought a second DVD Drive and from that I can install FSX_MS ever since. My first one got the chatters half way through installations not from the beginning like yours but I didn't wait and bought the second one instead. Dirt cheap nowadays.

Also, your DVD disks for FSX_MS are gold now. Do not jeopardize them for any reason.

Sorry for the bad news and as always, I can still be wrong. Your call.

Cheers,

Help!

In spite of trying 3 different copies of FSX installation DVDs, I just can't get the program to load in Windows 10 for a first install.

The DVD drive chatters away incessantly and the best I can get is the list of contents of various files and folders.

Selecting 'Run as Administrator' or attempting to manually select the WindowsInstaller-KB89308-86x.exe or setup.exe options results in error messages suggesting insufficient disk space and the KB89308 file is for 'a different platform' whatever that means!

Has this happened to anyone else please and is there a fix, like installing from an ISO file?

I completely overlooked the obvious - could this all be down to a 64-bit compatibility issue and is there any sort of work-around please?

Cheers = Bob

Does your drive play or work with other DVDs? Do other discs chatter too?

I agree with mabe,Be careful with your FSX Discs! They are now almost unobtanium!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Or, it could be as simple as you having 2 DVD's in your DVD drive. You will get a lot of chattering. Check and see if you have 2 DVD's. It won't wreck your DVD drive. The designers apparently made allowances for that. But the chatter will give it away as having 2 DVD's. Hope that's it.

Chuck B

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Sometimes DVD burning software can cause a conflict. My burning software, P2G8, would make the disk spin in the drive for over two hours. Then the sound would stop, and I could install fsx.

As soon as I stopped the softwarefrom starting automatically with the pc, the problem was gone.

(I can still burn a CD just fine, only difference is it used to offer to burn a cd when one was inserted, now I have to manually start the program. I actually prefer this.)

Another way would be to uninstall the burning software, then install fsx, and afterwards install your burning software again.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I recently reinstalled under Win 10 off the original DVD's, might have taken the drive a while to spool up but still worked.

Best option might be to wait and see if there's a sale on the Steam version during the upcoming holiday season (it has been on offer as low as £2.99 or around US$5.00) and switch to that instead.

Vern.

Thanks y'all for your responses.

First, there is only the FSX Disk 1 in the drive and nothing else, also I'm not running any DVD burning software either

I have also double-checked the DVD drive and confirm it works perfectly with a range of other (also older) installation disks with no problem.

I have now left the drive chattering away for a 90+ minutes and as Elvensmith reports, eventually it's stopped! During this period, autorun tried to work once but got hung up on the 32-bit installer, so I've left it to chatter some more!

Is that the core of my problem - is it because I'm trying to install on Windows 10, 64-bit?

I've tried manually starting the process using the various .exe files that would seem to begininstallation, with the following outcomes:

The setup.exe reports 'Error 1607: Unable to install InstallShield Scripting Runtime'. Likewise the DVDCheck.exe file.

Next, WindowsInstaller-KB893803-x86.exe reports 'Setup Error - Not enough storage is available to process this command

The vcredist_x86.exe file reports 'Another program is being installed. Please wait until completed and try again'! Guess I might give this another go later

The Microsoft Flight Simulator X.msi says '1: The installation cannot be run by directly launching the MSI package. You must run setup.exe' which of course I've tried but has also failed.

The instmsia.exe and instmsiw.exe files both report 'Wrong OS or OS version for application'

Trying to run Compatibility Check notifies that this is an incompatible program!

Also found another .exe file in the Program Files folder on the FSX disk but this also gave this error message:

'Flight Simulator cannot run because the version of Microsoft DirectX installed on your computer is incompatible. Please reinstall DirectX 9.0 by running setup or download from .... etc.'

Any other thoughts please?

Can you copy the disc contents to a folder on your Desktop?

If so, make sure you have both discs contents in one folder and run the setup.exe from there.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Its the DVD drive. The format of the installation discs has changed over the years and modern drives can have problems reading old discs due to the format changes. As Stringbean said, try copying the entire disc contents to a folder on your HDD and run the installer from there.
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Bob,

RE the Error 1607 report: Look at the following link. I helped a friend who could not install a piece of software (not FSX but a financial product) with the same error and the first option in the link fixed the problem:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/910816

RE DX issues - simply run the built-in DirectX Diagnostic Tool by clicking the Start button , typing dxdiag in the Search box, and then pressing ENTER. This will cgeck your DX install, which on W10 will be DX12 (note new versions of DX are backward compatible with older versions), and highlight any issues.

Regards

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. I tried a slave USB drive but that didn't work either but the answer from both StringBean and CptCaveman certainly did. Plus it is only these FSX disks that the DVD drive can't read all the old and new stuff's no problem at all. Anyway, FSX is up and flying on my PC now and I'm really grateful for your help - just sorry it took me a while to get around to saying so!

Salut = BOB

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. I tried a slave USB drive but that didn't work either but the answer from both StringBean and CptCaveman certainly did. Plus it is only these FSX disks that the DVD drive can't read all the old and new stuff's no problem at all. Anyway, FSX is up and flying on my PC now and I'm really grateful for your help - just sorry it took me a while to get around to saying so!

Salut = BOB

All's well that ends well! But yes feedback as to what works and what doesn't is invaluable to others with similar issues. GLAD IT WORKED OUT!!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

... which on W10 will be DX12 (note new versions of DX are backward compatible with older versions)...

DirectX12 is not backward compatible with DirectX9.0c which is what FSX needs. The latest is DirectX9.1.

• 2 years later...
Help!

Cheers = Bob

Hey there. I had the same problem. I opened File Explorer first, then I inserted the disc and waited for the FSX icon to appear in the disc drive section and then activated the setup. That worked for me. Try that :)

Cheers.

• 2 years later...

1607 Unable to install InstallShield Scripting Runtime.

4 months ago I installed FSX on my Windows 10 PC;

It ran as accepted until I received an update from Microsoft.

That’s when the trouble started. I could only run FSX on demo mode.

I searched the net for a answers and tried a few suggestions up to uninstalling

FSX. Now I get this error code. Is there a fix for this?

• 2 months later...

This happened to me as well. As a systems administrator, I can say it is highly likely that it is a bad DVD setup disc. If you can read the files on the DVD through File Explorer, it is not the DVD drive.

My setup DVD would not install, when inserted. It chattered. It spun up over and over. It stopped all together. These are either symptoms of a setup configuration file that cannot access a file in the way it is programmed to, or else a poorly-manufactured DVD. Many movie DVDs can suffer the same issue.

However, not to worry. Here are resolution steps:

1. Use DVD copying software (many free versions, but I use ImageBurn) to copy the DVD by

2. inserting the DVD, starting the copy program, and making an ISO copy of the DVD.

3. Verify the ISO.

4. Remove the setup DVD.

5. Click on the ISO to mount it.

6. Using File Explorer, (as the FS manual states) double-click on setup.exe inside the mounted ISO. It will run the setup. When the first disc completes, it will request the next one. Should you encounter another bad DVD, simply repeat and rinse.

A side benefit of using an ISO is that they transfer data much faster than real DVDs.

Try it. It works.

Given that this thread is over 2 years old, he has probably succeeded installing by now....

Jorgen

And now the thread is over five years old. I hope he's not still trying.

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.