FS9 under Windows 10 in C: partition or under Windows 8.1 in external drive?

propjob

I upgraded to Windows 10, and FS9 runs in the windowed mode. I have to do a lot of Alt-Enter to access other FS9 functions. Some functions don't seem to work at all. Overall, it's just not running as good as it did in every OS through Windows 8.1.

Is there a way that I can run FS9 in the full-screen mode rather than windowed under Windows 10. One of the replies I received elsewhere said DirectX was required, with no information as to which version of DirectX. I just downloaded and was ready to install DirectX 9, but Microsoft's message said it was to be used only in operating systems up to and including XP.

First, is DirectX essential to being able to run FS9 in the Full Screen mode? Second, if so, which version?

Second, I am considering adding an external drive and installing Windows 8.1 so I can run FS9 the way it ran before. What do I need to know to install FS9 there? For example, should I delete FS9 in my c: partition (it's in its own folder). What about the hidden file, fs9.cfg?

I'd appreciate your help with this. Thank you.

Art

I'm running Fs9 perfectly in Windows 10, upgraded from Windows 7. When I first ran Fs9, it asked for a DXwave (I think, BUT Im not too sure) update. Once I updated my video drivers & changed the legacy settings in Windows to ok this DX___, it all worked perfectly. No adjusts to DX9. As far as hidden files go, it is pretty normal to unhide all files.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

FS9 in Win 10 works perfectly for me. I have it on an internal drive, and run it in a maximised window. The menu bar at the top is no more of a distraction to the view than the surround of the monitor. Added bonus is I can minimise using the mouse if needed. No need to remember keys for the job.

Art,

Regarding DX.

As you have updated to W10 you should have the latest version available (V12)Newer version are backward compatible with earlier versions

Run dxdiag - it will tell you what version is installed and if there are any problems or missing files. This will run the 32-bit version and there will be a button on the first tab of the to run the 64-bit version if required. You can use the start menu search option to find the exe file

Regards

Brian

Archived