"Newbie" trying to grasp the basics....

aviation1974

I'm dumping Microsoft FSX due to it repeatedly dumping me, ( memory dumps ), with messages saying I've run out of memory. My flights ending abruptly. So, I'm buying and installing Prepar3D, version 3. I have no prior experience with Prepar3D. Should I install Prepar3D on a Windows 7, 32bit desktop, or on a Windows 7, 64bit desktop? Both desktops have plenty of available hard drive space, ( SSD's ). Both desktops have quad-core processors. The 64bit desktop has 16GB of memory installed. Which desktop should I install Prepar3D on? My priority and greatest wish, ( given my Micosoft FSX experiences ), is for "smooth operations". I'm a "newbie", and I need experienced Prepar3D simmers to help me out, with your advice and suggestions. I know you'll be bored answering my questions, but I'll be so grateful and very appreciative. Thank you all. Oh yes, one more question. I'm a fan of "virtual cokpits". Are "VC"s available in Prepar3D aircraft downloads? Or, must I acquire and install an add-on, camera view program of some kind? Any advice on that? Thanks... aviation1972 :rolleyes:
Real pilot, with some flight simming experience. Recently thought of migrating to Prepar3D, version 3, but I'm sticking with FSX, ( now with "Steam", I'm happy with FSX ). No more crashes due to minimal frame rates, but I always seem to need tips and advice. Yes, from everyone. It never ends. Thanks... :rolleyes:

V3 is still a 32 bit application so the installer will automatically install in the Programs X86 folder. Personally, I install it on a separate SDD in a folder a created. VC are available in P3DV3 same as FSX. Very little if any difference in the structure. camera views are similar to FSX with some enhancements. Wont go into specifics but one is the Avatar feature. VAS management is improved over FSX but I wouldn't say greatly.

CPU: I7 4790K @ 4.5 ghz, GPU and CPU water cooled

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970

MEM: Gskill Rippjaw 1866 17900

MB: Gigabyte Gaming 5 Z97X

On the contrary, they've made some BIG changes to VAS management. If one is getting regular OOM's with V3 - there is something definitely wrong with their system. Various developers who are beta testers were throwing everything they had at V3 and couldn't make it OOM.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

I have seen an improvement, which I stated. Thought I dont share you biased HUGE observation!!!!!!That wont happen withg 32 bit. Now, lets just help the person! Been using V3 since it's release. This is why I generally dont volunteer help. Always someone trying to out do another! There are still reports of OOM's.

CPU: I7 4790K @ 4.5 ghz, GPU and CPU water cooled

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970

MEM: Gskill Rippjaw 1866 17900

MB: Gigabyte Gaming 5 Z97X

No one is trying to outdo anyone - just reporting correct information. You are entitled to your opinion but compared to FSX and V2.5 they made huge changes in how the VAS is used. The reports of OOM's are in the minority and consist of one of two things - 1) really pushing the sim to the max with add-ons etc or 2) if the OOM's are under normal loads - something not correct with the system.

Saying that it is still a 32 bit system really has little bearing on what they've accomplished.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

I have seen an improvement, which I stated. Thought I dont share you biased HUGE observation!!!!!!That wont happen withg 32 bit. Now, lets just help the person! Been using V3 since it's release. This is why I generally dont volunteer help. Always someone trying to out do another! There are still reports of OOM's.

More than a few post I have read with people still getting OOMs with V3, although less frequently than 2.5. The down side is V3 still has a bucketful of problems for some.

VERY simplified....

A 32 bit operating system can only address 4GB RAM. This includes graphics RAM.

3GB usable with a 1GB graphics card- The actual usable ram will be less.

A 64 bit operating system can use a lot more RAM, (my mind just went blank), excluding that of the graphics card.

So, a 32bit program, running in a 64bit operating system, will have more usable RAM, up to 4GB so more headway, as compared to a 32bit program running in a 32bit operating system.

As I said, that is a very simplified explanation.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

ok - to get back to the OP -

As zwobbie said - you are better off installing P3D3 on the w7 64bit system. As Torkermax said - install it OUTSIDE of the default folder - preferably on it's own drive. Yes the a/c have VC. Many of the FSX aircraft will run in P3D *IF* 1) the developer allows it and 2) if they have a dedicated installer. Some can just be copied w/o an installer.

When you first install P3D - do NOT apply ANY of the old FSX tweaks - altho quite a few peop0le just say P3D3 is just FSX on steroids, they couldn't be more wrong - there have been many code changes under the hood that affect the operation.

Some people are having issues but the great majority are busy flying.

Get it installed with the default settings first and then ask your questions.

Vic

P3D Rig

Take the advice from Vic.

Choose the license version that you match, install it as a separate, complete installation, and go fly.

Now is NOT the time to be blindly porting over old FSX and earlier P3D addons, but some developers are being quick off the mark to offer compatible installers. This means you can get support if anything goes wrong. For anything else, you won't and your problems are your own - or shared by other blind porters. Who can't even deliver tea without tripping over the furniture. And not boding well for resolution...

P3D V3 introduces a new three core element structure designed to ease future updates (up to now you generally had to reinstall the whole sim every second version update).

As long as developers abide by the new structure recommendations (and sadly they are not `rules`, which is a little underwhelming from L-M - after all they carry `Big Boom Sticks`), installation of the sim and updates should be a breeze.

Failure to adhere does not necessarily imply a failing sim, but it will mean full reinstall rather than a simple core update of a few megs.

As an FSX simmer with OOM's I would caution you it is highly likely YOU were the author of your own misfortune and it was probably an overly-stuffed addon setup that caused you those problems.

DO NOT repeat the same error in P3D v3. It is perfectly possible to cause an OOM in P3D. But most are doing it by shoving memory-consuming, resource-hungry old tat from other P3D versions and other sims into P3D, then crying `foul` at L-M. Who, I remind you, carry big boom sticks.

Wait for properly compliant addons - and for others to take the risk of installation.

Manage your installation and all should be well. Visually, v3 is now an age away from FSX, even with all that shoehorned addon tat.

Take the advice from Vic.

Manage your installation and all should be well. Visually, v3 is now an age away from FSX, even with all that shoehorned addon tat.

Spot on!

Vic

P3D Rig

Thanks to everyone. Many thanks for all your useful and helpful suggestions, 're: Prepar3D, but, I've changed my mind, ( again ). I've decided to stick with FSX, and I've gone the way of "Steam Edition". The Steam Edition of FSX is only $25.00, generally, but this month it's on sale for 50% off. So, I got FSX Steam Edition for $12.00, plus change. A lot less than the $200.00 for Prepar3D that I would have had to pay. I've also upgraded from Windows 7 -to- Windows 10 just a few days ago. Very happy with that upgrade too. Great frame rates. Very high frame rates now in FSX, ( Steam Edition ). No "OOM", ( "out-of-memory" errors in FSX Steam Edition ). None so far. I've edited my "signature" at the bottom of this post. For some reason, I think my old signature is still showing. Anyway, I have another technical issue, and I don't think it is related to Steam at all. Just related to me, Microsoft, and FSX. And, I need help with this one, please? 2D panel -versus- VC in FSX... I want both. In FS9, ( FS2004 ), I would scroll through my camera views, beginning with 2D panel. Next view would be VC, followed by the external views of the aircraft. In FSX, it seems I'm forced to choose between the 2D panel view, or the VC, ( and I can only get the one I've chosen ). I know I'm at fault here. There's no way FSX is less versatile than FS9 used to be. So, can you PLEASE tell me "how" to get all my camera views back, and in the same order that I had them before? Please? I am comfortable modifying config. files, if that's what I need to do. Thank you very much. You see, I fly from both panels. My Garmin GPS is visible in my 2D panel only. In my VC panel, I have greater visibility, and the opportunity to look around. When I'm forced to insert a GPS into my VC panel, it never disappears, ( as you know ). It just floats there, and remains visible, even when you scroll to your external views of the aircraft. That's a "No-No". So, I need both panels, ( 2D, and VC ). So, could some of you "pros" out there, please take the time to teach me what I'm doing wrong, or what it is that I'm overlooking, or have forgotten? I need some help..... Thanks.
Real pilot, with some flight simming experience. Recently thought of migrating to Prepar3D, version 3, but I'm sticking with FSX, ( now with "Steam", I'm happy with FSX ). No more crashes due to minimal frame rates, but I always seem to need tips and advice. Yes, from everyone. It never ends. Thanks... :rolleyes:

Use the SHFT+X keys to see things like the 2D GPS unit. Most of the time, GPS is SHFT+3, but not always. Check the panel.cfg file. If the GPS is [Window02] in the panel.cfg, for example, it can be accessed by SHFT+3. If it's [Window05], it will be SHFT+6. See the pattern? And yes, it works just as well in the VC. SHFT+3 will, again, pop up the GPS. Hitting SHFT+3 again will, in this case's example, close it again.

Does this answer the question adequately?

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Archived