Is there an objdump, objcopy, gdb equivalent for Windows? (Updating RealityXP gauges)

Surgo

I love the RXP Garmin GPSes but they do not work with FSX-SE due to referring to an incorrect memory address. This seems like a fixable issue, so I'm trying to patch the RealityXP gauges to fix up to the proper memory addresses. I've never done any development work on Windows though, so I'm not sure what the dev tool equivalents are.

Basically I'm looking for a usable disassembler like objdump. I found objconv via googling, but I can't get it to decode DLLs into actual instructions, just series of .byte directives ._.

I'll also need to read the memory space of the running FSX process like gdb can do with attaching to a running process; which Windows tool lets me do that? Finally, I'll likely need some way to relink to change offsets like objcopy. Is there any Windows-equivalent tool?

Sorry for the newbie questions, but I've literally never done any development on Windows in my life. Google search results that aren't IDA pro seem to be out of date, and I'm not going to pay for an IDA pro license just to do a freeware project (though it would satisfy my disassembly and process attachment needs).

Even were you able to accomplish your goals, it would be strictly for your own use. Distribution of the modified executable files and/or DLL files would be violation of the RXP EULA.

However, keep in mind that FSX:SE is an ever evolving product, so every time an update is made by DTG, you'd have it all to do over again!

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

Even were you able to accomplish your goals, it would be strictly for your own use. Distribution of the modified executable files and/or DLL files would be violation of the RXP EULA.

Yeah, distributing a modified DLL would be absolutely no good. But I believe it's fine if I distribute a patch to the DLL, which would simply change the addresses of interest. I should be covered under the DMCA protections of reverse engineering for the sole purpose of interoperability.

Even if I can't distribute, well, that's sad but okay. I just want to personally use the best GNS430/530 products out there right now, as even though Garmin considered it "obsolete" it's still a really common sight in planes.

Archived