What'll be good value of Landing (FPM)????

Happpy

Hello, Guys!

I'm using Landing Rate Monitor.

LRM.JPG

Different people have different opinion. But what's the exact?

I mean value below -300 is enough for landing?

I know value like -95, -45 or -10 are ideal.

But on which value Aircraft's damage done? Means start damaging?

On which value Passenger's discomfort level starts? Like heavy Jolts etc..

I hope experts will give their opinion here.

Regards,

Depends on the aircraft, the condition of the runway etc.

Landing on an aircraft carrier, -500 fpm is probably a good landing

For airliners, -100 to -200 is good. -400 would be a hard landing

For a wet runway you probably want to plant the aircraft down more firmly.

For a small trainer aircraft you're probably trying for something between -50 and -100

Greaser landings are fine to show off, but it usually means a long landing and you're annoying ATC because they want you off the runway.

Regarding damage, in your aircraft.cfg [contact_points] section there is an Impact Damage Threshold value (in FPM) for wheels and scrape points.

Landing on an aircraft carrier, -500 fpm is probably a good landing

Not to quibble, but for an F-14 or F/A-18C/D I am pretty sure it's -700 FPM.

I can probably find the NATOPS reference if you want me to. I've been flying F/A-18C a lot lately :)

Normally, if the plane's gross weight is under the landing maximums for it, then for a normal, field landing, like for a commercial liner, -300 to -500 FPM is correct. As long as you are following the glideslope properly, you will hit at the right descent rate.

You should see some of the landings Navy/Marine pilots moonlighting in the Civilian airlines make. They PLANT that bird :D

Whatever the gear can take, is their usual answer...

Just a note :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Yep, about 700 fpm is the usual rate for the typical ILS approach.

With the 737, the usual rate around touchdown will be around 100 fpm, maybe a

bit less if a greasy landing. But will still be closer to 100 than 0..

With the 737NG landing too soft is frowned on, not only for float issues, but

the spoiler deploy uses gear sensors, and sometimes a super greasy landing can

cause them not to activate. Or so they say.. I've never had that happen with the

NGX, but I don't know if the sim version supports that malfunction. maybe not..

I never watch the decent rate when landing. I'm looking off down at the end

of the runway when I gauge my flare, which with the NG is pretty late.. Around

20-30 ft usually when I start cranking it back a bit. At touchdown I'm looking at the

far end of the runway which I use as a guide to how much I need to flare.. It will

vary some depending on steep or shallow approach..

Kind of hard to explain, but that's how I do it.. I never look at the descent rate on the

PFD, or the HUD. Don't really need to. I do watch my speed pretty close though.

Speaking of "firm" landings, here's an excerpt from the book "Beyond the Blue Horizon" by Alexander Frater when he was flying as a passenger in an Airbus in the 1980's and was invited to sit in the cockpit for the night landing at Cairo under the control of the co-pilot..

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/fsx-airbus-1980s_zpsstvqtxkm.jpg~original

Whatever that copilot claimed, I think he was Navy! :D

There is a rumor, unconfirmed, naturally, that the Navy/MC pilots, from their first flight, have it beaten into their heads that if they flare on landing, they will be courtmartialed...and severely beaten with a mackerel, then keel-hauled.

NO idea if it's true, but it's sure sounds neat!

I DO recall, very clearly, that my flight instructor in gliders, back in '74, one Goldie by name, could easily reach the back of my head from his rear seat with his yard-stick. I am really glad I was so young, so I healed pretty quick...

I actually got pretty good with landing gliders. I could float those things down the runway to where I didn't have to push it very far, if at all, often just turn it around in it's parking space for the next flight. I was pretty proud of that ONE little trick...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

I don't flare much at all when carrier landing with the FA/18. Just fly it right onto

the deck. Sometimes I almost land the 737 that way if it's wet, short runway, etc..

:p

I hardly ever see real greasers in the 737's.. Talking real world, and also watching

real world videos on utoob. None of them seem to really grease it. And most all the

real world landings I've been on them were quite firm.. I remember one at Love field

where he planted it pretty firm in a 300. It was a wet runway, with light drizzle..

I remember flying on the 727 in the 60's, and they would land real smooth back then.

I remember a Braniff flight to KIAH when it was brand new, and you could not feel

the touchdown at all. Totally smooth and fluid transition from flying to rolling with

no sensation of a bump at all. Ain't never seen a 737 land like that. I've been on

old SWA 200's that landed fairly smooth, but not anything like that pilot landed that

Braniff 727. We also landed at KOKC, and he was silky smooth there too.

Hi Happy -

I am interested in using Landing Rate Monitor with FSX but, not being expert on computing, afraid to start installing an .exe file not knowing what it will do to my current configuration.

Is it installed for all aircraft or can you specify an individual aircraft?

Would very much appreciate your information before attempting this installation.

Thanks a lot.

Clarindo

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - Intel Core i7-2600 CPU - RAM 8GB DDR3

2048MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 200 series - 3 LDE Monitors - FSX STEAM

I don't flare much at all when carrier landing with the FA/18. Just fly it right onto

the deck.

No flaring on the boat especially :) 7-800 FPM sink till the wheels bang the deck, and full throttle as soon as they do. In case your hook skips (otherwise called a bolter). Soon as you leave the deck, put the waterline on the 10° line and no turns until you have a positive rate of climb. Turn to the BRC until you get to the pattern altitude, usually 800' AGL, go around and try again.

And again, and again...ad infinitum.

I hardly ever see real greasers in the 737's..

Did you ever fly in a UAL plane? Those were my father's second favorite bird :D His first love was the DC-8-62. He usually tried to grease em in, unless he was in a hurry, then his Navy time kinda came out a bit. Of course that was mostly time in the SNJ, but hey...

He was a flight instructor in Pensacola, at least until he got stinking drunk during a change of command ceremony (apparently he had a "strong dislike" for the outgoing CO), and leaned against a palmtree yelling "HA!" every time the CO paused during his speach. Full dress whites, down to the sword.

He...ahem..."retired"...quietly, shortly there-after, but hey, UAL snatched him up pretty fast.

I remember flying on the 727 in the 60's

My father always hated those. He said they were a pain with even a relatively small crosswind component...

Great days, and wonderful flights to all, whatever plane you fly!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Did you ever fly in a UAL plane? Those were my father's second favorite bird :D His first love was the DC-8-62. He usually tried to grease em in, unless he was in a hurry, then his Navy time kinda came out a bit.

Naw.. Never flew on United, or Continental. Every time I would check Continental

for flights they would be using a semi slow turboprop, and charge more $$$ than

Southwest, who always ran 737's. With the bonus of running out of KHOU, which

is a lot closer to me than KIAH, I always flew Southwest. I've only flown into KIAH

that one time in 1969 on the Braniff 727. That flight originated at Kansas City

downtown, which would be replaced by KMCI not too long after that.

Back then, I think it was more of a game to grease the landings than it is now

with the auto spoilers, etc.. The pilots wanted to land as smooth as they could,

as it made em look good to the passengers.

But now with landing that way often being frowned on in some of the newer planes,

I don't think the pilots really care any more. They are more worried about what the

company thinks, than the passengers. The airlines watch and grade them on about

everything they do these days, down to how efficient one flies as far as burning fuel.

As far as landing the artificial 737, as long as I don't bounce, which is fairly rare for me,

I'm good with the landing. Only if I bounce do I start muttering stuff..#$%*&... lol

I land pretty danged good most of the time.. :cool:

Hi Happy -

I am interested in using Landing Rate Monitor with FSX but, not being expert on computing, afraid to start installing an .exe file not knowing what it will do to my current configuration.

Is it installed for all aircraft or can you specify an individual aircraft?

Would very much appreciate your information before attempting this installation.

Thanks a lot.

You're Welcome. Shouldn't afraid. It's not dangerous and tell about your landing. Thanks.

Once you have installed, it'll work for every aircraft in FSX.

Thanks a lot, Happy. Appreciate your responding to my question.

LRM is successfully installed. Very simple and practical.

All the best,

Clarindo

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - Intel Core i7-2600 CPU - RAM 8GB DDR3

2048MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 200 series - 3 LDE Monitors - FSX STEAM

Archived