Do my FPS look about right?

mdavenport

Please see my signature for my PC spec...

I am running the following addons:-

PMDG737

ORBX Global Base, Vector, OpenLC, FTX Europe

REX4 + Soft Clouds

Active Sky Next (7 day trial)

UK2000 Belfast

UK2000 Manchester

I have 3 out of the window screens running a res of approx 5760x1280

I have a 4th screen that I have my PFD dial's popped out on

I have a FDS CDU that shows the CDU pop-out screen on

My FSX.CFG was tuned by Robert at FSX Professionals Facebook group (which now appears to have shutdown - not sure why?). My FPS is limited to 31 and NVI is set to 1/2 refresh rate

Here is a rough breakdown of the FPS I am getting:-

At Belfast = 17-22

On Route = 23-31

On Approach = 15-22

At Manchester = 15-18

I am aware with all my add ons, screens etc that I am asking a lot from this rig. I can't afford to change the PC and given its a Dell I can install a 'K' CPU. I also can't install a new PSU, or a larger GPU than the 750ti, but I may be able to install a new GTX 950. The joys of a Dell hey...

Here is the GRAPHIC section of my fsx.cfg if its of any use:-

[GRAPHICS]

SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED_10=1693458432

SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED=1693458432

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024

NUM_LIGHTS=8

AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=1

AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1

COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1

LANDING_LIGHTS=1

AC_SELF_SHADOW=0

EFFECTS_QUALITY=2

GROUND_SHADOWS=0

TEXTURE_QUALITY=3

IMAGE_QUALITY=1

See_Self=1

Text_Scroll=1

D3D10=0

ForceFullScreenVSync=1

ForceWindowedVSync=1

HIGHMEMFIX=1

STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD=120

I can post the full .CFG file if it will help?

Hope you can help..

Thanks

PC: i7-4790 QUAD Core HT 3.60Ghz, 16GB RAM, Corsair Supernova GS 650w PSU, Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini ITX, 128GB SSD (Win7 x64), 500GB Samsung 840 Evo SSD (FSX+Addons)

Monitor: 3 x 23" IPS NVidia Surround 5880x1024, 1 x 19" 16:9

Addons: Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Jetmax TQ, FDS CDU, FDS MX MCP, iVibe TFS3, Prosim:737

Only a 365w PSU? That's cutting it rather fine on the psu, and may cause issues from overstraining it. I would have a 400w in there just to be on the safe side, even with SSD @1w consumption. Just get a new case and transfer it all in and you can add whatever you want.
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Only a 365w PSU? That's cutting it rather fine on the psu, and may cause issues from overstraining it. I would have a 400w in there just to be on the safe side, even with SSD @1w consumption. Just get a new case and transfer it all in and you can add whatever you want.

I would if I could. I have searched high and low to find a better PSU that will fit but again dell are non standard. ATX won't fit and it also has no standard pins apparently.

Happy to look into one more if you know any that may be compatible?

Also if it was struggling surely that won't impact my FPS?

PC: i7-4790 QUAD Core HT 3.60Ghz, 16GB RAM, Corsair Supernova GS 650w PSU, Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini ITX, 128GB SSD (Win7 x64), 500GB Samsung 840 Evo SSD (FSX+Addons)

Addons: Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Jetmax TQ, FDS CDU, FDS MX MCP, iVibe TFS3, Prosim:737

I would if I could. I have searched high and low to find a better PSU that will fit but again dell are non standard. ATX won't fit and it also has no standard pins apparently.

Happy to look into one more if you know any that may be compatible?

Also if it was struggling surely that won't impact my FPS?

Yep its near impossible to make any meaningful upgrades to a name branded PC as they all use custom stuff and not ATX, as you have discovered.

I would of expected your FPS to be a bit better than you are getting, although it will be your PSU that will be having a impact I expect. A PSU can effect a system as when you run more taxing software like FSX which is heavily reliant on the CPU it will not perform to its best capacity as it gets restricted by the amount of watts your PSU can provide to it without it becoming unstable.

Quite often off the shelf PCs are also under volted slightly which again puts a performance restriction on your CPU. Again you cant do much about that due to the PSU.

AMD 9590 5Ghz, Asus 990X Sabertooth, Asus 285 Strix, 8Gb Ram x2 RipJaws, Corsair Hydro H100, Corsair CM750M, 2TB Short Stroked HDD, Samsung 120Gb SSD for OS, x3 ViewSonic VX2370 LED Frameless Monitors. x1 Semi Understanding Partner.

I never realised that a low wattage PSU could affect FPS. Is this really the case?

Also, if anyone knows of a higher watt PSU that is compatible with the Dell T1700 then please please point me in the right direction and I will get one!!

I never realised that a low wattage PSU could affect FPS. Is this really the case?

Absolutely the case. I had an hd 3870 card a few years ago and it was rated at a minimum of a 500w PSU to run it. I actually had a 500w PSU but it was a generic manufacturere, and for months the system would run slow in intense games, crash the gpu driver causing lockups when pushed to hard, and generally was rather sluggish at times to respond.

I replaced the PSU about 6 months after I bought the card with a Corsair 550w modular supply and the change was dramatic. No crashes, intense games ran smooth (ie Crysis), and the whole system seemed to perk up a bit and be more responsive.

So yeah a low wattage psu that doesnt have a lot of overhead will cause issues when its pushed hard.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is there an easy way to see if I am pushing the PSU hard and to the limit? I don't get any application crashes, just looking to see what I need to do to get better FPS...

Is there an easy way to see if I am pushing the PSU hard and to the limit? I don't get any application crashes, just looking to see what I need to do to get better FPS...

If your system is stable and running fine, the PSU is good enough. Dell is usually pretty good at picking a good PSU for the system's original configuration. Where people run into issues is when they want to install a high end video card and load the system up with hard drives. Also, GPU PSU requirements are often higher than what is actually required to account for the cheap power supplies out there.

PC Power and Cooling used to sell PSU upgrades for Dell computers. Think they are owned by Firepower Technology now. Could check them out.

Well if the system doesnt crash under heavy load, the PSU should be just enough to cover it. But as said I wouldn't go adding anything to it myself. If it was me I would consider a gpu upgrade with the same wattage requirements, so that its still stable but with more ability.

If your case atm I think you could do some tweakery first for a few more fps rather than change parts.

For starters I do not have a "stale buffer" entry in my cfg. So I dont know where you got that one. Backup your current CFG file to another folder, and let FSX make a fresh one on startup.

Then go to this site,

http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html

Enter your system details and let it tweak your (new) CFG file. Test this setting and see if it has an improvement.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Someone on another forum has just pointed me in the direction of this:-

http://www.moddiy.com/products/Dell-OptiPlex-T1700-PSU-Main-Power-24%252dPin-to-8%252dPin-Adapter-Cable-%2830cm%29.html

This sounds like it will allow a standard ATX PSU to be installed and connected to my MB...

This will allow me to do an upgrade!!! and hopefully improve FPS.

Well if the system doesnt crash under heavy load, the PSU should be just enough to cover it. But as said I wouldn't go adding anything to it myself. If it was me I would consider a gpu upgrade with the same wattage requirements, so that its still stable but with more ability.

If your case atm I think you could do some tweakery first for a few more fps rather than change parts.

For starters I do not have a "stale buffer" entry in my cfg. So I dont know where you got that one. Backup your current CFG file to another folder, and let FSX make a fresh one on startup.

Then go to this site,

http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html

Enter your system details and let it tweak your (new) CFG file. Test this setting and see if it has an improvement.

I tried running venetubo on my FSX.CFG and it didn't really seem to help.

I think that Manchester EGCC with UK2000 is just too much for my system. Parked at a bridge/gate when just starting the sim i am getting 11-14 FPS.

If I go to East Midlands EGNX (which is also running UK2000) I am getting 20-20 FPS at the gate. This isn't as big airport...

In addition to this I have purchased the ATX converter cable which should allow me to install an ATX PSU - I will be ordering this one:-

http://www.ebuyer.com/708135-evga-supernova-650w-gs-gold-80-modular-power-supply-220-gs-0650-v3?utm_source=google&utm_medium=products&gclid=CO7FmL-fgcgCFcSfGwoddS4P5Q

I suspect that being as my system is stable the PSU won't actually improve FPS? But I would love to hear any evidence that it may increase FPS - fingers crossed...

Do people generally disable airport traffic on UK2000 scenery add ons to improve FPS? I am running the conservative settings but I could manually turn them off..?

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so finally got a EVGA Supernova 650 GS for my Dell T1700 (although I am struggling to fit it between 2 plastic clips that hold the side panel on...

Anyway I connected it up and ran it outside of the case (until I can fit it in properly) but I can confirm I saw no improvement in FPS from just the PSU - so not sure if I should have...

What this does mean I can go and replace my GTX 750 ti with a GTX 970...

Should this see an improvement in FPS?

Anyway I connected it up and ran it outside of the case (until I can fit it in properly) but I can confirm I saw no improvement in FPS from just the PSU - so not sure if I should have...

What this does mean I can go and replace my GTX 750 ti with a GTX 970...

Should this see an improvement in FPS?

So you tried to increase your FPS by changing out the power supply and now considering the Graphics Card next? CPU is what will help FPS.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

About too low watt being lower frames. It night I guess, if that means the cpu will start using less power by running at low speed if it notices power is low. (I'm not sure that happens. I thought the cpu didn't know, kept high speed and then because there isn't coming enough from psu, computer would crash. But I now realise I may have made that up.)

on a more positive note, I can't picture your dell, but would it be cm option to move the parts over to another case?

The thing sounds tight. And if the psu aint great, the cooling probably aint that great either.

I just bought a new case. I went fro one 8cm intake fan, psu as exhaust. To 1 14cm intake and one 14cm exhaust. And the psu now inhales nice cool air directly from my room.

Cpu temp went from 75 to 61, videocard from 83 to 65. (that's Celsius). Framerate went from 14 to 30 parked at EHAM. At traffic 70% (higher then normal), three runways active, at dawn.

Psu temp probably went down 20degrees as well, which is nice. Keeps it fit longer.

To see if a new case would yeild result, run your pc with the side panel removed for a while. (do keep the cat out:) ). Don't increase settings. Smoother? Then a new case will definitely help.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I've got no where to go on the CPU until I swap the rig and get new MB etc..

The PSU was the main factor for only being able to run a 750 ti so now I can go for a better card (although the gains won't be great).

Then when I do go for a new rig, I won't have to buy a new PSU or GPU as will take the existing ones I have or will be purchasing..

Is there an easy way to see if the 750 Ti is limiting my FPS? Can I use something to monitor its utilisation to aid me in my decision making.?

Archived