Unable to add new add-on scenery and texture in FSX, FSX do not read them/see them

Mumrik

Hi,

I got this problem after installing three freeware sceneries downloaded from Avsim Library last Sunday. After the installations I went to my Scenery Library in FSX Settings to see if the new sceneries has been automatically added or if I had to do this manually. I then found out that they weren't added so I tried to do this my self but when opening the window to choose new sceneries to add (the Add Scenery window) I could not find them there even though I could find them in the FSX Addon Scenery folder when looking for them outside of FSX.

All the three scenerys were Auto install scenerys.

The links to the Scenerys:

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=dominicax&CatID=fsx&Go=Search

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=lgts+x+2014&CatID=fsx&Go=Search

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=lfey&CatID=fsx&Go=Search

Have uninstalled all of the programs since but the problem still is.

Can anyone of you please help or maybe direct me to where I might find some help and support for this problem?

Please help.

I am downloading the first link that you gave to see what's up with it! I will check back in a while and update this post with the results!

UPDATE:Like PhantomTweak, I also tend to distrust auto installers. I downloaded The Dominica to a folder I created. The main folder called DominicaX should be put into FSX/AddonScenery folder. There is another small file that goes into FSX/Scenery/World/Scenery folder.

Start FSX and go to Settings/Library and add the DominicaX scenery to your library.

Dominica.JPG

Dominica1.JPG

Dominica3.JPG

Dominica4.JPG

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I don't trust auto-installers any more than I do my ex-wife.

I always point them to an empty temporary folder of some type, then place them where I like. In this case, once they are done unzipping into the empty folder, you can then copy-n-paste to your FSX Add-on Scenery folder, or where-ever you like. THEN go in and use the Add Area button to add them into the Sim.

I have a sneaking suspicion the auto-installers placed the files you need into folders other than Add-On Scenery, but still in the main \FSX folder, which is where you were looking, but using the empty-temp-folder method will both show exactly WHAT they were doing.

Bear in mind, you can have scenery in a folder anywhere you like, as long as under the folder they are in is locatable. IE: if you can find them using Explorer, let us say, you can find them with the Add Area button. I suspect the auto-installers were placing the scenery into a separate folder in \FSX, such as, for example, \FSX\Dominica, rather than \FSX\Add-On Scenery\Dominica, which was where you were searching for them. But they could have been placed anywhere, like C:\Scenery\Dominica, for example.

Does this help a little?

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Hi,

Thanks but nothing of this is of any help, you see that I know that all of the three sceneries that are added are in the Addon Scenery folder since I can see them when I go inside the FSX Addon Scenery folder inside C:\Program (x86)\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Addon Scenery, but not when opening the Add Area in FSX.

And I know that it isn't just these sceneries since I cant see any other scenery that I add afterwards even though I manually install these.

So can you help?

Are you saying that, for instance, if you double-click the DominicaX folder inside of FSX/AddonScenery folder, you do not see the Scenery and Texture folders? Or is it that you don't see the DominicaX folder when you are trying to add that scenery in your Library?

Could it be UAC problem? Is FSX being run as Administrator? Do you have the Show Hidden Files and Folders box in windows checked?

Is C:\Program (x86)\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Addon Scenery where your game actually is, or is it running out of a different folder, and that was created by some add-on's autoinstaller (See now why I don't trust them??)?

I am just trying to think of possibilities now. I am shooting in the dark, as the saying goes.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

It is hard to diagnose this when we don't see what you are seeing.

Can you please post two screenshots:

1. How "Addon Scenery" looks in Windows Explorer

2. What does the "Add Area" window in FSX look like where you expect to see your scenery.

If you use the link I posted for you, you will get step by step instructions.Can't do anything more than that.

Bruce

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]I5-2500k@ 4.5Ghz/ 16 GB Gskill DDR3 1600/Nvidia GTX460 1GB// CH Yoke/Pedals/Throttle/TrackIR/Win7/ Fsx Deluxe SP1 & SP2

"Don't let fear or good judgment hold you back"

Are you saying that, for instance, if you double-click the DominicaX folder inside of FSX/AddonScenery folder, you do not see the Scenery and Texture folders? Or is it that you don't see the DominicaX folder when you are trying to add that scenery in your Library?

The second one, I am unable to see the new sceneries when trying to add them into my Library.

Could it be UAC problem? Is FSX being run as Administrator? Do you have the Show Hidden Files and Folders box in windows checked?

Is C:\Program (x86)\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Addon Scenery where your game actually is, or is it running out of a different folder, and that was created by some add-on's autoinstaller (See now why I don't trust them??)?

I am just trying to think of possibilities now. I am shooting in the dark, as the saying goes.

Pat☺

Yes, FSX is running as Administrator, and yes, C:\Program (x86)\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Addon Scenery is where my game is located. What do you mean with a UAC problem?

What do you mean with a UAC problem?

UAC is a protection program that protects any program that resides in the "Programs" folder. It will prevent the modifications you are trying to do, under most circumstances.

If you managed to add sceneries before without issue, the UAC should not be the problem.

To help us help you, explain a bit more precisely the steps you follow when adding.

And where it goes wrong.

As in: The scenery folder you try to add is in folder -C:\\xxxxx\yyyyy\zzzz

With zzzzz being the name of the folder the scenery is in.

Are there bgl files in that folder? Give all filenames, or simply post a readable screenshot.

(use the image snipping tool in star menu-programs-system tools--accessories.)

Post the steps you take to add it. Like this:

I open fsx -- then I .... -- then I ........

etc.

Show images of what it looks like when you have the scenery library open. You can use the snipping tool for that as well.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The 2nd scenery GAP LGTS download consisted of 2 folders. One folder for Effect/textures and a folder containing the 3 airports which are added to FSX/AddonScenery folder.

addon scenery folder.JPG

Then going to the FSX Library to add each of them.

add to library.JPG

And then the Library when finished.

Library.JPG

Okay, So here is a step by step version of how I do when adding a ne Scenery to FSX.

I open FSX.

Skärmbild (7).png

I go to SETTINGS.

Skärmbild (8).png

I open Scenery Library.

Skärmbild (9).png

I select Add Area.

Skärmbild (10).png

I go inside the Addon Scenery folder and scroll down to where the Dominicax should be placed to add it but dont see it.

Skärmbild (12).png

Then I go inside my C:\Program (x86)\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Addon Scenery folder and here I can see it.

Skärmbild (13).png

Hope someone can help.

It is strange you do not see it.

From MrZippy's post I can see that inside dominicaX folder are the three folders:

LGTS_2014

THESSALONIKI_VFR

ThessalonikiPHOTOREAL

These three need to be added.

Place them in the Addon Scenery folder. See if you can add them then.

-------

Something else, I noticed you folder is C:\Program (x86)\ etc etc.

I always saw that folder as C:\Program Files (x86)\

But, maybe that is just because of your language in Windows.

It is just out of view in your fifth image (skarmbild(12).png).

I can only see in the box: "t Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Addon Scenery\

Does that folder path start with:

C:\Program (x86)\

or with:

C:\Program Files (x86)\

Is the path there exactly the same as in the file explorer?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It is strange you do not see it.

From MrZippy's post I can see that inside dominicaX folder are the three folders:

LGTS_2014

THESSALONIKI_VFR

ThessalonikiPHOTOREAL

Nope, Those files are inside the 2nd download he listed for the Greek airports not Dominica.

Mumrik, just for kicks and giggles, go to the following path and see if you have any FS files.

C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore

This folder will be hidden by default (I think) so you will have to enable that option in Control Panel > Folder Options.

If you find the files there then they are not really in Addon Scenery.

Delete the entries in Addon Scenery, then run the installers again, pointing them to a temporary folder on your Desktop.

Now copy the files to Addon Scenery and see if you can add them in the Scenery Library.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

ok, thanks.

And Mumrik, Is this win10?

Maybe the difference

Program (x86) Program Files (x86)

is because of win10?

Still, make sure the scenery library looks for 'Addon Scenery' in the correct path.

Hi,

I'm not running in win 10, I am running in win8.1 which worked fine to add new Scenery to FSX in prior to this install.

And the location is Program (x86). (This is apparently because of that I have the language on the computer set to another language than English which then gives me the locations, "Program" and "Program (x86)(which is the one that FSX is located in) instead of just one Program map).

Check what the security priviliges are on "DominicaX". Make sure "Everyone" (or whatever "everyone" is called in your language) has full access to this folder and anything in it.

The additional "Program Files (x86)" is created because you are on a 64 bit system. It is intended for the 32bit applications you install, whereas the standard folder "Program Files" is for the 64bit apps. ("Program Files" translates into "Program" on your system, if I'm not mistaken)

Mumrik, just for kicks and giggles, go to the following path and see if you have any FS files.

C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore

This folder will be hidden by default (I think) so you will have to enable that option in Control Panel > Folder Options.

If you find the files there then they are not really in Addon Scenery.

Delete the entries in Addon Scenery, then run the installers again, pointing them to a temporary folder on your Desktop.

Now copy the files to Addon Scenery and see if you can add them in the Scenery Library.

peace,

the Bean

Hi,

Looked inside the \VirtualStore but didn't find anything regarding these files.

Any other idea?

Before all of that, just check that in the scenery folder there is at least one "scenery.bgl" (or whatever the name of the bgl is) as if there isn't..... Your story reminded me of an occasion that had me puzzled some years ago when an auto installer didn't.

All the scenery folders contain at least two bgl files.

Any other idea?

Archived