Windows 10 and FSX/P3D: Successful Upgrade

TseTse

Hello everybody,

Obviously Windows 10 has been pushed out the door and people are starting to roll over into the new OS. And not too surprisingly, there have been numerous threads written about some cases where the OS upgrade did more harm than good. However, I know that at the same time, a lot of others must have completed the upgrade successfully and are enjoying their new OS without any significant hiccups.

In that light, I am going to start by saying that my upgrade to Windows 10 has been successful and all of my software work normally as they did in Windows 8.1. (My upgrade from Windows 8 to 8.1 last year [on my old computer] was also smooth) I've fired up my copy of P3D2 and FSX:SE multiple times and (1) the simulators start up normally, (2) all addons such as Accusim and UT2 work normally and (3) there are no signs of performance degradation. (Nor can I confirm a performance improvement either)

I start this thread so that I can get a good overall picture of how the move to Windows 10 is working out for everybody. I would especially like to gage a success-failure ratio for those who've upgraded. So, how did your move to Windows 10 work out? Was it a complete failure, was it a completely smooth transition, or did it have minor issues that got ironed out quickly?

I verily understand those who desire to hold back the upgrade (or not to upgrade at all) due to the risk of losing a perfectly stable system. For me, however, the additional features in W10 (especially Cortana) made the move very tempting for me so I decided to dive in today, and I, as a volunteer W10 guinea pig, am happy to report that my move has been OK.

http://i.imgur.com/iMDlMAv.jpg

TseTse i5-9600K @ 3.7~4.5GHz | RTX2060 Super 8GB | 32GB DDR4-3200 | 1TB Samsung 840EVO | Z390 Chipset | Windows 10 x64

I have two computer in my sim setup. One a dedicated FS computer another networked. I have upgraded to WINX on the network computer communicating with the FS computer with no problems at all. But I see no need to put the WINX operating system on the gaming computer as I would use none of its niceties.

CPU: I7 4790K @ 4.5 ghz, GPU and CPU water cooled

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970

MEM: Gskill Rippjaw 1866 17900

MB: Gigabyte Gaming 5 Z97X

It would appear that most (mind you, I haven't tried them all yet) of my programs on Windows 7 will work just fine on Windows 10. Much to my chagrin, however, FSX is a disaster. It won't let me see the preview photo of the selected aircraft. Attempting to fly results in seeing only the preview photo I was hoping to see before I pressed "Fly Now." This may very well have something to do with the upgrade from Windows 7 to 10. Perhaps it was too far a bridge to cross, given the ongoing changes in operating systems these days.

So it appears that I must once again remove and reinstall my copy of FSX and all the add-ons from scratch. Windows 10 is but one in a long list of issues that have necessitated re&re.

Fortunately, I have another computer running Win 7 which is dedicated to games only and I will be certain not to install win 10 on it.

It won't let me see the preview photo of the selected aircraft. Attempting to fly results in seeing only the preview photo I was hoping to see before I pressed "Fly Now."

Sorry to hear that. I would guess that you would have searched high and low for the solution to this issue, but I think I remember this issue being raised in a separate thread "Windows 10 and FSX" and one of the later posts mentions that there was a Windows 10 update that was pushed today that addresses this issue. Not sure if this does anything though.

All the best.

TseTse i5-9600K @ 3.7~4.5GHz | RTX2060 Super 8GB | 32GB DDR4-3200 | 1TB Samsung 840EVO | Z390 Chipset | Windows 10 x64

I personally don't have a problem with subscription-based software. In fact, I like it that way. I already subscribe to Spotify, Office 365, Adobe CC and others. Although it may sound stupid and devilishly expensive at first, it's actually more economical than the traditional way of going to the music store every month and dishing out bills to get new albums (in the case of Spotify) or paying another $300 upgrading to a newer Office every 2 years.

However, a quick Google search for "Will Windows 10 be a subscription service" reveals that many trustworthy IT sources indicate Windows 10 will NOT be a subscription bait-and-tackle plot. In addition, a glance through the Windows 10 FAQ does not explicitly state nor imply that Windows 10 will be a subscription.

You all do realize that Windows 10 is the start of a subscription service OS? You will now be paying yearly for your Windows. Have fun with that. :)

https://redmondmag.com/articles/2015/04/01/subscription-model.aspx

You do realize that this was written last March and is a bunch of nonsense, right?

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

• 4 months later...

Archived