View Poll Results: Does FS2004 Work In Windows 10???

Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

46 34.07%
  • No

89 65.93%
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 and FS2004 Discussion.

I was thinking of going from W7 to 10 so thanks for all the info.

I have 2 machines with 3 drives & dedicate one drive for FS9 & the other for storage.
    With the one with just one drive (C) I have FS9 in a folder marked FS9. They all work well.

Zebok Guest

Hey all,

New laptop with Windows 10. Installed FS2004 (outside default directory). Double click on the icon, nothing happens. Tried with compatibility modes, will not work. Solutions?

Z

3. Default

In Windows 10, installed directly to default folder, installed 9.1 update, installed cd crack, opened up to a black screen that was quickly fixed by typing alt+enter. Works just like a charm. All the freebie addons I've installed still work just fine too.

Look, I'm not fond of using cracks for programs. But this is a 12+ year old program, and my computer won't run FSX without shutting down, video card probably the issue. However, I've paid for FS9 twice and it's my favorite game. I personally don't see the harm in it as I have no plans to make money or cheat anyone. I simply want FS9 to work as long as I can. I can't afford to buy/build a computer that will play FSX any time soon.

Having just upgraded to Windows 10 just faced the same struggle trying to get FS9 and FSX running. No joy with FSX (can get the menu screen up but it freezes) however after a bit of trial and error have managed to get FS9 running in maxed windowed mode by changing the parameters in the cfg as noted elsewhere. Attempting full screen just gives a black screen with mouse cursor in busy mode, can't get back to desktop or even get Task Manager to display to kill it - required hard reboot.

Did a one hour flight yesterday evening for Delta Virtual in their excellent 757, no issues other than the MFD's weren't displaying correctly, very smooth performance - able to nail a GPS RWY 29 landing at Grand Junction on the button.

So maxed window mode better than nothing but more research needed to get FSX running.

Reading some of the articles on the Microsoft Help pages they don't seem to appreciate how critical this is. FS9 and FSX may be old and unsupported programs but for practical purposes they are still the most contemporary civilian flight sims available (not getting into the politics of Prepar3D). Many users have £/$100's if not £/$1000's invested in add on kit and software to enhance the core game and not willing to write this off. Don't know what it would take to get MS to produce an update patch at least for FSX, assuming there is even anyone left in the organisation with knowledge of the code following the disbanding of Aces Studio.
    Vern.

I have gone down almost every road to get it to work , I tried trouble shooter in windows 10 but the program ( installed ) is not listed and when putting the file name in manually it is not recognised so what else can I do ? I suspect nothing other than to drag out my old computer ( on XP ) every time and use that, I haven't even got a comparability tab to click anywhere! westmoors
    Last edited by westmoors; 10-09-2015 at 06:36 AM.

I installed Windows 10 a month ago. I got frustrated with it because of issues involving "Read Only" attributes on many folders I use. I went back and had to re-install Windows 7 and everything was fine for about 2 weeks. Then Windows 7 did a security update, and then I started getting the same errors as I did in Windows 10. I found out that I had to download the FS9 NO CD patch. Once I put that in, I took out the Disk 4, and everything was working. I got to thinking, maybe that was the same problem with Windows 10. So I did the same thing on the Windows 10 installed FS9. Bingo, that solved the issue. FS9 works ok on Windows 10. Other things was finding out how to take ownership of the FS9 folders so I could change aircraft.cfg files and install new downloaded aircraft. The only thing I'd like to fix is the lack of the aircraft preview when selecting ANY plane. Please let me know if there is something to get that back, please let me know. I am running the Nvidia GTX-750-ti graphics card. OS Windows 10 on an AMD Gigabyte M68M-s motherboard with 8 gig of memory.

Gypsymoth My personal opinion is DON'T change ! The assistance received from Windows 10 is minimal and usually directs you to earlier system cures which you cannot apply, you will see there are several posts which I think underline that there is a compatibility issue and nobody has come up with a magic wand to fix it . I think much of[ the change to 10 has been for the sake of change. All your old things are still in there bit have been moved around and re categorized, and until you adopt the mind set of the guy who dreamt up this new look it's a problem to find things. For example Settings are now separate and no longer in the Control Panel, why? It was easier to remember when everything was in the one place. QUOTE=gypsymoth;1944176]I was thinking of going from W7 to 10 so thanks for all the info.

I have 2 machines with 3 drives & dedicate one drive for FS9 & the other for storage.
    With the one with just one drive (C) I have FS9 in a folder marked FS9. They all work well.[/QUOTE]

Made the change from Win 7 to Win 10 a couple of weeks ago. I have zero problems with any of my flightsim, trainsim, or any other installed program so far. I do not have the black screen problem because I fly in a maximised window, and I have never ever installed into a default location. The whole upgrade took about 90 minutes and I never had to touch the keyboard or mouse the entire time. One of the easiest upgrades I have ever done.

I even dragged a patched Transport Tycoon Deluxe out of retirement and that worked with no problems.

As for the old control panel, still there, just called settings now.

9. Default

Installed Win10 twice, once over Win7, and FS9 worked correctly. However I couldn't use FSTflatten as well as iZ3D Driver (anaglyph 3D). Also it seems not to be possible to open several Edge (the new IE) sessions at the same time. So luckly I reinstalled Win7!
    Last edited by Dan_Cooper; 10-10-2015 at 04:34 PM.

You can run multiple Edge sessions. Click on the three dots at the right of the menubar and select New Window.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast