Issue with autopilot in FS2004

Philothing

Hello. First time forum user. I've just reinstalled FS2004 for the first time in years.

In a previous install (on, it has to be said a lower spec pc) I had a problem when I was

using the autopilot. It was most noticeable in the Boeing 737. I would set the autopilot to

take me to a given altitude and set the auto throttle to a given speed.

Almost always when disengaging the AP the nose of the aircraft would rise quickly and

the plane speed up as well. I dare say that FS2004 isnt perfect in simulating planes but this

one really gets on my nerves. In a real aircraft there is no loss of control because the aircraft

would be trimmed out for its attitude and speed. If this happens again, is there a way of overcoming

this problem, i.e, is there a bug-fix out there that I've missed. On the whole, FS2004 is a great

piece of software but this issue really wrangles. Any answers please?

Philothing, Leeds UK

Welcome to the forum(s)! At what point are you disengaging the autopilot? Are you about to land your aircraft? If so, then are you in proper configuration for landing and is your speed appropriate?

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Hey Phil, small world - I work in Leeds. If you've done or re-done the 737 training course in FS9, check that you have the flight director on and autothrottle armed before engaging autopilot, and leave them on after disengaging autopilot.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Hi Phil.

It sounds like the same thing that happens to me when I'm doing a quick flight test using only the keyboard. What you described never happens when using the joystick.

If you are using only the keyboard, I don't think your problem can be fixed. I believe that pitch control with the keyboard only moves the elevator, not the trim device. When you disengage the AP, the aircraft reverts back to it's last trimmed condition which is almost always wrong. If I'm correct, it's just a software error that nobody anticipated.

Let us know if you get it figured out, or give us more detail and someone may be of more help.

Regards,

JerryH

Greetings All,

A paid copy of FSUIPC will end your problems. It has a setting that centers the trim when using the AP, to prevent your problem. From the manual:

Centre elevator on AP Alt change makes FSUIPC4 centre (zero) the elevator input when the Autopilot ALT hold mode

is enabled or disabled. This is mainly of use for keyboard flyers, where the original keyboard-set value for the elevator is

retained, ineffectively, whilst the A/P controls the vertical modes, but which then undesirably re-asserts itself when the

A/P control is relinquished. See also the note in box below.

Disconnect elevator trim axis for A/P: This option is aimed at those who are using an analogue trim axis instead of the

more usual trim up/down buttons, wheels or levers. When the FS autopilot has control vertically (such as in altitude hold

or glideslope acquired modes), it disconnects the elevator axis so that joystick inputs don’t upset things, but doesn’t do the

same with the trim axis. This FSUIPC4 option fixes that. If it is enabled it also disconnects the trim axis if an add-on or

external autopilot disconnects the elevator axis via the special

Respectfully,

Brian

Great answer, Brian. I try to learn something everyday and your tutorial did it! I've had FSUIPC for as long as I can remember, but only use it for a few settings. And I never use the keyboard except when I'm too lazy to get off my bottom and grab the joystick off the shelf.

It looks like you've covered Phil's problem very well.

Cheers,

JerryH

Archived