A few questions from a long time flight sim "enthusiast" with a new PC build

Garfield

Long story short I played Fs9 for years, went off to HS, college, work, etc... with everything had to hang up the gaming for a few years and fell a bit out of touch with the flight sim world. Worked out my first build and should have it up and running by next week, went for as much power I could in CPU and GPU...

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($241.98 @ Newegg)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: ASRock Z97M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($90.98 @ Newegg)

Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Sandisk Solid State Drive 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($54.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.99 @ Newegg)

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($342.98 @ Newegg)

Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($56.98 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($65.98 @ Newegg)

Optical Drive: Samsung SH-118CB/BEBE DVD/CD Drive ($19.99 @ Newegg)

Monitor: LG 27MP33HQ 60Hz 27.0" Monitor ($189.99 @ Newegg)

The questions I have and if they're "novice" question bear with me.

1) Is there anywhere I can buy FSX besides amazon or ebay or is this my only option with the limited copies floating around now a days?

2) Briefly what are the differences between FSX vs FSX Steam vs FSX deluxe vs FSX gold and which one should I aim for?

3) In terms of AI what is the top of the line currently? (It can be payware)

Thanks

Buying FSX:SE (Steam Edition) by download is your best bet, it's bang up to date and consists of Deluxe, Gold and Acceleration combined..:)

FSX is 8 years old now and we sometimes hear people asking "where can I buy it?", so by making it easily available on Steam, Dovetail Games are introducing it to a whole new generation of flight simmers and that's bound to be good for the sim, giving it a new lease of life for years to come..

Here's what Dovetail themselves say-

“The main reason you would even consider picking up FSX: Steam Edition if you already have a significant FSX-O[riginal] setup is the implementation of Steam for multiplayer purposes.

That's the big single thing we've done is replaced GameSpy with Steam.

Yes, there have been a few tweaks made that may improve the performance of FSX for some users, but if you already have the simulator we're making no secret about the fact that at this point, what we're offering to you is limited.

The people we're hoping to attract first and foremost are those to whom FSX will be a brand new experience, rather than those who have already invested a great deal of time and energy into the hobby.

We know this will be a little disappointing to those who had hoped for a revolutionary rebirth of the simulator, but we've got a way to go before we can talk about our future plans. At the moment we're focusing on introducing FSX to a new generation of flight simulation fans”

http://www.winbeta.org/news/take-skies-once-more-flight-simulator-x-steam-edition-dovetail-games

Writeup at Steam- http://store.steampowered.com/app/314160/

PS- I'm not a Steam expert (I use 7-year old FSX disks) so I don't know the situation regarding freeware and payware addons, but the experts will be able to tell you better than me what addons are available for FSX:SE

I bought FSX-SE (Steam Edition) in January when it was a wopping $5.00, just to see how it was in comparison to the FS9 I'd been using since it hit back in '04.

I like the Hornet, and believe it or not, it actually runs ok on an older model laptop. Most of the FSX add-ons, plane's scenery, gauges etc work fine in SE, it just seems that auto-installers, which I prefer NOT to use anyway, have trouble finding it, because Steam buried it several layers deep under their stuff. As long as I use manual installs it seems to be the same as FSX. By the same token, I nave never had FSX in any form until SE came out, and I understand some auto-installers for add-ons have a personal problem with 2 installations, confusing SE for the original FSX and vice-versa.

Just wait, it will be on sale for $5.00 again, which beats the current FSX prices hands-down.

Just my 2c worth...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

As far as AI is concerned I use the freeware WOAI. Its a little dated now although they do have current updates for major airlines but works like a charm. It covered domestic airlines in my country ( New Zealand ) where none of the payware products did. How or if it works with steam I am not sure. Being that FSX steam has been out for a while I am sure that if WOAI didn't work with it, there will be a work around that will make it work with it.

Welcome back to the sim community and I am sure you will have a blast, there are some great people on the forums here who are very knowledgeable about FSX, rig setups etc,

Darryl

AMD 9590 5Ghz, Asus 990X Sabertooth, Asus 285 Strix, 8Gb Ram x2 RipJaws, Corsair Hydro H100, Corsair CM750M, 2TB Short Stroked HDD, Samsung 120Gb SSD for OS, x3 ViewSonic VX2370 LED Frameless Monitors. x1 Semi Understanding Partner.

AI: take a look at Ultimate Traffic 2. It is dated, but the plane models are good, and I really like its mode of operation (it is a seperate application running alongside FSX using SimConnect to spawn the planes). Latest schedules are from summer/fall 2013.

There is a freeware called "AI Controller" that forces AI planes to use the approach/departure procedures - very neat.

Archived