P3D Textures in FS9

chris34

Hi All,

I recently got P3DV2, along with REX 4, and I absolutely LOVE the sky textures. So I wanted to take them and put them into my main simulator, FS9. However, when I try it produces strange rainbow graphics, and no program seems to be able to properly convert them to the correct format. Any help?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yep, I've seen the same thing. It's because sky textures are 32 bit in FSX and 24 bit in FS9.

-Install the REX theme you want, copy the 140 sky textures from FSX to a temporary (empty) folder

-Put a copy of Imagetool in the temp folder along with them

-Right click the temp folder while holding the Shift key down and choose "Open a command window here"

-Right click the command window and "Paste" the line below

imagetool -24 -brief -nobeep -nowarning -nomip -e bmp *.bmp

-Press "Enter"

-Move the converted textures into FS9

Jim

• 3 years later...

I realize this thread is now more than three years old, but I decided today that I would take some time to take one of my favorite P3D sky texture sets and make it work with FS9. Seeing as I never came back to this thread and realized you all wanted some pictures, I figured better late than never...

The sky textures are from Lucas Environment Mod for P3Dv4, with lots of edits and minor changes to make it look nicer in FS9. They are specifically tailored for high altitude flying (he has another set intended for ground/low level ops too, if that's your thing). Also included is some nice views of my retro 1995 traffic :)

Enjoy!

T76VNNS.jpg

OpYkLOw.jpg

a4OOCVt.jpg

NnY1H3G.jpg

6F23ssH.jpg

RRgWGx7.jpg

TFZDM0s.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for all the kind words!

Could you please send me those sky textures? The originals are freeware, right? I'd greatly appreciate it!

Google "Lucas Environment Mod" and you'll find them! The original stuff is not my work so I cannot share.

Wow, your 1995 traffic looks awesome! Sorry for hijacking the thread: did you compile the AI by yourself or is it from any AI addon (maybe MyTraffic freeware for FS9)?

It's all compiled from the Retro AI forums, combined with many of my own repaints and flightplans :)

Yep, nice job!

Also you can do the ground textures as well. They will look great without the infamous 'cartoony' look. FS9 has a nice natural feel to it and the FSX/P3D textures blend well.

Really? I'd be interested! How do I do that?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Really? I'd be interested! How do I do that?

Try just one set. Fields etc. Like 8bSu1 through 7 (assuming you know where this will display).

If there 4096 x 4096 textures, just convert them to fs9 256x256 (although 512 and 1024 size will display). Also add the correct AGN files and viola, simple.

Don’t forget to backup everything first.

I usually just rename the current scenery/world/texture folder then copy the oroginal back in and use that.

Archived