Installing FSXSave 1.05 issues

HI Everyone,

Firstly I will apologies in advance if this has been covered in another thread, I have searched here and goggled it to death and found no solution, I hope some one might have the answer to my issue.

I am running FSX Steam as my standalone sim, I have recently had to reinstall windows and have had to start from scratch. I have pretty much have everything installed again, however FSXSave 1.05 will not run on start up of FSX, I don't even get the window that pops up to ask if you want to make this a trusted application.

I am running a 64bit windows machine and I let FSXSave install to its default location which is as follows:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSXModules\FSXSave

I have checked the FSX.cfg files and there is no reference to it in the trusted section (As suspected), I have checked my EXE.xml and there is a reference to it in there see here:

-

False

False

FSXSave

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSXModules\FSXSave\FSXSave.exe

True

I have also checked the DLL.xml and there is no reference to FSXSave in there. I am at a bit of a loss as I have tried everything I know to try and get this working but sadly I have drawn a blank, does anyone else have any suggestions or might know why it will fail to load? On a side note, if I manually click and run FSXSave and then open FSX I can then see it in the new addon option in the menu bar, it just wont load automatically.

Any help would very welcome :)

Regards Rob

the error is in the exe.xml.

the dll.xml ixs not requiered here.

have a look at something from my exe.xml:

False
False
AICarriers
E:\myowngames\AICarriers\aicarriers.exe
-nogui

notice:

-nogui

in this case it means AICarriers is started with the 'switch' -nogui. That means, NO Grapical User Interface. It means you won't see a grapical user interface window. It just starts briefly (you may see something pop up and disappear), then only runs in the addons menu.

You could try if that works for FSXSave as well. but that 'switch' -nogui could mean nothing for Autosave.

(I would just give it a go.)

a switch is sort of a startup option. It tells the program to start up in a certain way.

a switch Always starts with a dash. So: -f -G or -nogui for example.

I think -nogui is safe to try. But don't start making up your own.

If it doesn't work when starting after making that change, I would close fsx. then reboot, to make sure that, in case it has started with a wrong switch, it isn't running anymore.

Check in task manager though before you reboot.

Finding FSXSave running in task manager is a clue you are on the right track.

-----------------------------------------

Some other thoughts.

Start fsx.

Then browse to the folder where fsxsave.exe is, and double click it to start it manually.

If it needs no switches that would work fine too. You wuold then see it in the addons menu immediately.

If it works like that, with no switches, you would off course change the line in the EXE.xml to:

---------------------------------------------------

goood luck.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

sorry, I was wrong when I said it did not need to be in the dll.xml

try putting this in the dll.xml

FSXSave
False

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi il88pp,

Thanks for your reply, I have tried the things you mentioned but sadly still no joy. However after your first post I looked at my coding and see this line.

It was alone and was not like the other commandline quotes I changed it to but that didn't make any difference either. I have just added the section to the DLL.xml and that has had no effect either.

However as mentioned by you before, and I had tried this before posting, if I open FSX and then navigate to the FSXSave.exe and run it the addon then appears in the menu bar straightaway.

I have to say that this is very odd and there must be an answer to this.. I hope :)

Regards Rob

Thanks il88pp, I appreciate the help and any info you have and can give.

I have copies of both xml files so I can easily put things back to the way they were prior to editing them.

I'll keep searching as well :)

Regards Rob

• 7 months later...

Hi,

I know this is an old thread but in case anyone else comes looking for the fix, I just had the same problem when I installed this. The problem is in the exe.xml. The installer adds and extra entry into the path. Instead of listing the path (on my machine) as F:\FSX\Modules\FSXSave.exe, it listed it as F:\FSX\Modules\FSXSave\FSXSave.exe. Once I corrected the path, it worked correctly.

Hope this helps,

Wayne

The installer adds and extra entry into the path. Instead of listing the path (on my machine) as F:\FSX\Modules\FSXSave.exe, it listed it as F:\FSX\Modules\FSXSave\FSXSave.exe.

Now you can see why I don't trust autoinstallers.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

• 5 years later...
Hi,

I know this is an old thread but in case anyone else comes looking for the fix, I just had the same problem when I installed this. The problem is in the exe.xml. The installer adds and extra entry into the path. Instead of listing the path (on my machine) as F:\FSX\Modules\FSXSave.exe, it listed it as F:\FSX\Modules\FSXSave\FSXSave.exe. Once I corrected the path, it worked correctly.

Hope this helps,

Wayne

I know I'm a little bit late to the party here. I'm currently trying to install FSXSave into FSX and I'm having the same install issue most of the people I've seen (the installer won't run because I don't have SP2... I do). The problem I've got is that I cannot unpack the setup.exe to get access to the FSXSave.exe. I only have the setup.exe or the FSXSave.msi files that present in the zipped folder downloaded from the website.

I've upzipped the FSXsave folder downloaded to the FSX/modules folder. For the entry in the exe.xml file, is it as simple as adding the below? Is there anything else that needs adding anywhere?

False

False

FSXSave

Modules\fsxsave105\setup.exe

True

sorry, I was wrong when I said it did not need to be in the dll.xml

try putting this in the dll.xml

FSXSave
False

I need to put this in the dll.xml as well?

Edited by Mattie941

UKV1260spacer.png

2.gif

see this post below I think. about exe.xml

Hi,

Hope this helps,

Wayne

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

see this post below I think. about exe.xml

Ha ha. If you put it in the right place the entry is correct! It should be in a subdirectory of Modules.

Extract from my EXE.xml:

False
False
FSXSave
Z:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\Modules\FSXSave\FSXSave.exe

True

The only thing you need to change is:

False

. . . to stop it asking you every time you load FSX.

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for replying!

Okay, so how do I extract the files from the auto installer? When I try to install, the installer says that FSX SP2 in not installed. I do have FSX SP2 installed it must be an error in the installer. Is there a program or method to extract the FSX Save folder from the installer? Then I can manually add the entries to the EXE.xml

UKV1260spacer.png

2.gif

Thanks for replying!

Okay, so how do I extract the files from the auto installer? When I try to install, the installer says that FSX SP2 in not installed. I do have FSX SP2 installed it must be an error in the installer. Is there a program or method to extract the FSX Save folder from the installer? Then I can manually add the entries to the EXE.xml

Sorry, I don't know. Mine is v1.0.4 and that installed on FSX-Steam without questioning it. Maybe try that version?

flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/18921/fsx-sp2-fsxsave-autosave-104/

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

Try this once. Since this is on you, and ONLY you, I think you'll be able to do this in accordance with the EULA I just skimmed over.

Download and install Uniextractor. https://github.com/Bioruebe/UniExtract2

Right click the the FSXSave.msi file and extract to a folder. Chose the MSI Administrative Installer option.

Now in the folder you just extracted the .MSI to, copy and paste the files, FSXSave.exe and FSXSave.exe.config to the FSX modules folder.

That should do it. Once you add the entries to the exe.xml file and your path is correct for FSXSave.exe, in the Sim you should be able to go to Add-ons and it'll be listed there.

I wrote about this here.

Note. I'm not entirely sure those are the the files needed for FSXSave to work, but it does look like it. I did check the registry and there doesn't appear to be anything related for its functionality. When I installed FSXSave some years ago the installer just worked, but it wouldn't show up under Add-ons. So after some research I found that I still had to manually add the entries to the exe.xml file.

Edit-

Looks like another folder gets created by perhaps the FSXSave.exe in C:\Users\[computer username]\AppData\Local\Glynn_Wilshaw\ This folder holds your set FSXSave settings.

Edited by CRJ_simpilot