Time zone "off-age" in FSX (can I use the FS9 corrector in FSX?)

b3burner

Okay, I'll try to make this brief and to the point but that's hard for me:

The time zones are off in default FSX... yes even in the Steam version.

I didn't have time to trek around the world and note all discrepancies, but did note errors at both PGUA (Guam) and ZBAA (Beijing) where the sim tried to say Beijing was UTC + 700, even though I know it to be +800; and Guam it said was UTC + 900, even though I know it to be +1000. (If there's errors in those two places, I suspect there are others too).

Noted there is no Dennis Thompson timezone corrector for FSX like there was in FS9.

Is it okay to use the old Dennis Thompson 'tz30.zip' download (AVSIM file-- that was for FS9), and place those files in my FSX Scenery/BASE/scenery folder-- just like I did in my FS9 S/B/s folder? Or am I asking for trouble and possible unexpected CTD's by doing so?

BTW, as a side note, I tried it and it seemed to make the correction in the time menu of the header/intro screen, but I never actually tried running the sim with the files in place. Just concerned I might be messing things up by using FS9 files in FSX. Or if it works, would your advice be to just, "roll with it and don't worry about it"?

Thanks,

-- John

John,

Yes, I was thinking of the actual clock. I'm aware that all of China is in one time zone but don't know if any seasonal correction is applied. And I don't know if FSX really respects the Chinese time keeping or just considers the longitudinal displacement from Greenwich. I suspect that the latter is the case.

Jim F.

snip---------------

Or if it works, would your advice be to just, "roll with it and don't worry about it"?

Thanks,

-- John

John

Roll with it

I have Dennis Thompson's TZ30 bgl files installed in FS9, FSX box, FSX Steam and P3D v2.5.

I did not install Joshua Robertson's "FS Real Time"

If you just want to install Dennis bgl's he says

install my files manually, all BGL, BAT, and BGD files MUST be installed in their own scenery folder just like any other third party scenery.

Hey, John! Make sure this is checked in your settings. I would think your computer can keep track of the different time zones in the world.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]179623[/ATTACH]

or

Another-Clock Time.jpg

Testing, testing.

Yes, that's better and easy to see and read (for me at least).

What is: Pause on task switch?

Click on the smaller window once and then Alt+Print-Screen then the rest.

Cheers,

John

Roll with it

Ok, promising piece of news there.

I have Dennis Thompson's TZ30 bgl files installed in FS9, FSX box, FSX Steam and P3D v2.5.

Oh good, I had always thought it was only for FS9. Nice to see it's "inter-versional".

I did not install Joshua Robertson's "FS Real Time"

Oh good, I can pick and choose only what I want. And if I want to try Joshua's FSRT program later, I can always do that when I'm ready.

If you just want to install Dennis bgl's he says:

install my files manually, all BGL, BAT, and BGD files MUST be installed in their own scenery folder just like any other third party scenery.

Really? Interesting because I have always used the main Scenery/Base/scenery folder. Is that wrong? My concern if I put it anywhere else is that the base scenery folder is the one that sits next to last in "Default Scenery" near the bottom of the scenery library rankings, and is therefore spotted upon opening first. If I put the time zone files in their own folder any higher, won't the default ones open first and get in the way?

EDIT: Hmm... let me ask this another way. If I make a separate folder for just the time zones in the Scenery Library, should it go above "Default Scenery"-- as depicted by letter A, or should it fall between "Default Scenery" and "Default Terrain"-- as depicted by letter B?

[ignore the fact that this is a graphic from FS2004. That just so happens to be where my example currently exists. I'd of course apply the same thing to FSX, once I know the proper way to handle it.]

Time Zone proper location in scenery library.jpg

I use Dennis' files in a separate folder like any other scenery. And to be on the safe side, it sits just above all fsx default scenery folders (followed by third-party addon folders). No problem with time so far.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

Ok thanks. I'll give that a try. Actually that's higher in rank than I thought it would be, but if it works for you that sounds good.

I tried, just for the heck of it, downloading the full Joshua Robertson FS Real Time (FSRT), and interesting. It wanted to install itself in the Program (x86) folder, which of course I don't want anything in, so I directed the install to C:\FS Real Time and created my own "FSRT" folder. It did so, I guess it has its own FSUIPC packs installed there, and it seems as though it wants to operate my FS9 and FSX both from that same location. So that is probably better than having two sep installs-- 1 for each sim-- like I thought I was going to have to do.

Now odd thing is it also placed the Dennis Thompson files in a folder called "TZ04", and upon firing up the sim, it actually assigned the time zone folder to my scenery library in the #1 rank position and named it "World Time Zones".

Now while I appreciate the program doing the dirty work for me, I think I would have preferred to choose where I wanted the Den-Thomp TZ files myself, and name my own name and rank for the scenery library. Just a personal pref, but at least it appears to have gotten done.

• 2 years later...

Dear my friends,

All flight simulator softwares even the latest version of P3D V4 still suffer time zone problems.

SimElite Solutions released a Time Zone fixer addon and it is not a new feature but a must have addon for all flight simulators because it really fix flight simulators to work as they should be. Install it and you will have the most accurate local time in all world's cities. Because Daylight Saving Time(DST) start and end dates changes every year, there will be new update every year.

Read more about this addon here: https://simelite.com/timeZoneFixer.php

Archived