Garmin 295 GPS for FSX

Prosper

I don't know about a 295 download. The FSX default GPS is a 500, or course. But I am almost sure there is a way you can 'convert' from 500 to 295. Just don't have a link and have not done it myself. Did you Google the question?

When you are 'ready', everything you might need to know is at YouTube. The videos about the Garmin 295 GPS are made by 'Almost Aviation' (YouTube handle). Key in 'Almost Aviation' at YouTube search and you will find the video

This guy is a Guru, and an FS Nut, who built a home cockpit using 3 monitors, etc. He has a site where you can buy a 295 'Kit'. He provides the hardware, software, (most all are freeware), instructions, diagrams, how-to's, etc. He explains everything in simple enough terms. Good luck with this project.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Are you trying to replace an already present GPS 500 in the aircraft or add a missing GPS as a popup window? I assume, in your Gauges folder, you have the .cab file labeled fs9gps.cab. Double click it and see if the GPS 295 files are inside and we will push on from there.

GPS cab file.JPG

gps 295 and 500.JPG

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I do see in the cab file all those files that pertain to the GPS295. So how do I get the Gramin to show up in the Alabeo PA-38? They do not provide an option to use a Garmin, so I was hoping to be able to supply my own.

I do see in the cab file all those files that pertain to the GPS295. So how do I get the Gramin to show up in the Alabeo PA-38? They do not provide an option to use a Garmin, so I was hoping to be able to supply my own.

You don't have to supply your own, you just need to plug in the standard GPS295. The default FSX GPS is a 2D gauge that you can install into any aircraft by adding a few lines to the aircraft’s panel.cfg file. The simplest way to install it into a new aircraft is to copy it from an existing aircraft. As an example, open up the panel.cfg file for the default Cessna 208B Caravan, which you will find in \fsx\simobjects\airplanes\C208B\panel\panel.cfg.

Near the top of the file you will see a section called [Window Titles], which includes an entry ‘Window02=GPS’. A little further down the file you will see a section named ‘Window02’, which looks like this:

[Window02]

Background_color=0,0,0

size_mm=456,378

position=8

visible=0

ident=GPS_PANEL

gauge00=fs9gps!gps_500, 0,0

To add the GPS to your own aircraft you can copy this section to the panel.cfg file for your aircraft and then make sure you add a corresponding entry to the [Window Titles] section. The only change you will need to make is to the ‘02’, as each window must have a unique identifier. If ‘Window02’ is already in use for your aircraft (it probably is), just use the next available unused number. So, for example, if your aircraft already has eleven 2D panels installed (as does the Cessna Caravan), the lines you add to the panel.cfg might look like this:

[Window Titles]

…

Window11=My GPS Panel

…

[Window11]

Background_color=0,0,0

size_mm=456,378

position=8

visible=0

ident=GPS_PANEL

gauge00=fs9gps!gps_500, 0,0

The GPS panel can now be selected from the Views/Instrument Panel menu, where it will have the name ‘My GPS Panel’. (For WindowNN numbers below ten these can also be selected using the shortcut SHIFT+NN.) If you want to use the portable GPS295 instead of the panel mount GPS500, just substitute ‘gps_295’ for ‘gps_500’ in the last line. You can also play with the other parameters to change the initial appearance of the GPS.

MarkH

C0TtlQd.jpg

Thanks Mark!

I was coming back to report that I found this very information on a website: https://freedownload.s3.amazonaws.com/How_to_add_GPS.pdf

Now my question is, does anyone know how to make the GPS not cut off on the right.

I've played around with the settings, Window size, posistion, visible etc but can't seem to figure out how to display the enter GPS without the right side being cutoff.

cutoff.jpg

Here is a sample of one of my aircraft that uses the GPS_295. You will have to change the [Window.xx] number to correspond to yours but give it a try.

[Window05]

size_mm=545,354

window_size=0.5,0.3625

position=6

BACKGROUND_COLOR=0,0,0

VISIBLE=0

ident=GPS_PANEL

gauge00=fs9gps!gps_295, 0,0

That different size configuration worked!

Thank you so much!

I used:

[Window03]

Background_Color=0,0,0

size_mm=545,354

window_size=0.15

position=2

visible=0

ident=GPS_PANEL

gauge00=fs9gps!gps_295, 0,0

I read some on how to make it appear on the Virtual Cockpit, but I'm not a rocket scientist.

I'll stick with this. Thanks again for your help.

Well, got it to load, it appears the size I want, but it's a paper weight. It shows the map but none of the buttons do anything. I can put my mouse over them, it changes to a hand or plus or minus sign, but they are ineffective to press. Nothing changes. Any ideas?

Buttons not working.jpg

I suspect power. The display can be misleading. Avionics on?

+1 for the Avionics switch! A good idea, if you are using a default flight set to cold and dark startup, is to leave the Avionics switch on and saving "as default". here is a shot of my GPS_295 in that condition...battery on, avionics off.

GPS.JPG

• 3 years later...

fs9gps put in panel folder, so then, Garmin GPS 295 doing fine for FSX Eurocopter EC145. :cool:

ec145_fs9gps.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Desktop: Cybertron AMD cpu, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2GB GDDR5 , MS Windows 10 DirectX 12, ASUS 24" 1920x1080. Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas 4 (a since 10:43 PM 7/24/2018). New 2019 "PATRIOT" Memory VIPER DDR3 8GB x2 XMP2.0

FSX SE "FOR FSIM USE ONLY"

Archived