Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are Saitek yoke problems are solved?

Default Are Saitek yoke problems are solved?

I see many old posts dating to 2008-2011 with dead zone problems and unresponsiveness to small yoke inputs, don't see any recent posts anywhere. Is this finally a good yoke with with defined center pitch position and corrected dead zones?

I bought a Saitek Pro Flight Cessna yoke and returned it for a refund. It had the same fundamental design flaw which has caused the criticism seen around the Internet. The stainless steel shaft has a slot along each side in which runs the roll sensor mechanism. Whilst roll response was always smooth, pitch response was only smooth with no roll input. With any roll applied, the added friction of the roll sensor mechanism meant that fine pitch control was almost impossible and became quite notchy, most noticeably near the neutral point of the spring centring where fine control was most needed. It simply couldn't match the accuracy and smoothness of a good joystick. Take a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g34mLpFs3fE for a description of the problem I had (starts around 2:25). The Cessna yoke has the same basic mechanism as the standard Pro Flight yoke in the review. The video is from 2012 but my problem was the same. You either need to pay a LOT more for a good yoke or go for a high-end joystick. I bought a Microsoft Force Feedback 2 from eBay and haven't looked back - by far the best joystick I've owned.

3. Default

If you want a perfect yoke you need to pay 500 bucks. The Saitek yoke works fine, that's why so many people use it. Just avoid using the Saitek software to program it and you won't have any phantom key presses.

grease the shaft and set null and sensitivity to zero.

I watched the video and it scared me off :-(
    Right now I have a CH USB which is almost 10 years old now. It works perfectly with airliners, but the right side attachment mechanism (one that holds it to the desk) has failed and that is annoying. I was thinking about replacing it for that matter, but it seems that there isn't anything to go for. $500 for a good yoke... I could probably shell it if I flew more often than I do - twice/three times a week, sometimes once.

Greetings All,

alexzar, if you are satisfied with the current yoke, you might try some industrial Velcro to replace the clamps. It will hold a yoke or throttle solidly to the desk.....

Respectfully,
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Double J View Post
    If you want a perfect yoke you need to pay 500 bucks. The Saitek yoke works fine, that's why so many people use it. Just avoid using the Saitek software to program it and you won't have any phantom key presses.

grease the shaft and set null and sensitivity to zero.

I agree! That's what I have done as well.

As to the joystick versus yoke question. I have and use one or the other based on what I'm "flying." I don't recall ever seeing a chopper with a yoke. Or many non-high performance fixed wing planes with a joy stick. When I "sim" I like to use the correct equipment as part of the process.

What I'd like to see is a collective for sims. Sliding the throttle with the left hand on the joystick isn't very satisfying. And certainly isn't "correct." Think I'll start a thread on that issue!

Well, after a number of years tolerating the Saitek yoke, I shelled out $500 for the VRinsight Yoke Master II not long ago. Of course it doesn't have a centering mechanism but neither do real aircraft yokes. Even a $500 yoke can have its own set of issues. Mine was binding a bit when making small corrections while flying but I opened up the case and applied a dry lube along the solid stainless steel shaft. That really worked well. Also, I didn't have to fiddle with any drivers to install. I mapped everything through FSUIPC. Works so much better that way for this yoke.
    JOE---- Asus P8Z68- V Pro; CPU: Intel i7-2600K 3.4ghz OC'd 4.6Ghz,
    8G Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3-1600, EVGA 780 GTX SC ACX Cooler, Creative Fatal1ty
    Champion Series sound card, Samsung 840 Pro SSD 512G (W7 Ultimate 64), 3 WD VelociRaptor 1T drives, FSX/P3D/FS9/storage, 29" AOC IPS Monitor 2560x1080, 27" AOC @ 120Hz 1ms (GTG)

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by av8tor98 View Post
    Well, after a number of years tolerating the Saitek yoke, I shelled out $500 for the VRinsight Yoke Master II not long ago. Of course it doesn't have a centering mechanism but neither do real aircraft yokes. Even a $500 yoke can have its own set of issues. Mine was binding a bit when making small corrections while flying but I opened up the case and applied a dry lube along the solid stainless steel shaft. That really worked well. Also, I didn't have to fiddle with any drivers to install. I mapped everything through FSUIPC. Works so much better that way for this yoke.
    I've been considering doing the Saitek rubber band mod to mine after using it for the last few months. I'm sad that the build quality is a little low, but happy about the immersion factor.

After reading the mention of FSUIPC for what must be the millionth time in my sim life, I think it's time for me to buy a copy...

I assume these $150 yokes make more money for the manufacturer than those $500 ones, shame they both (CH and Saitek) build a $20-worth yoke and "can't afford" an upgrade after a decade/two of manufacturing and sales.

I decided if I was going to pay a LOT of money for a high quality controller (rather than one which needed frequent maintenance or one I was going to replace over and over) I was going to get something with fewest moving parts. The Saitek pressure sensitive stick has been a workhorse for me. I realize this thread is about yokes.

Since I fly about every type of plane there is from gliders to bush to airliners to mach 3, civil and intense combat and switch planes (and sims) frequently, I needed something one stop, rugged and reliable which works for anything I do.

-Pv-

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast