A perverted FSX Deluxe DVD Edition & FSX Steam Mash-up question

Hello everybody!

I've just snagged the Steam Edition for $4.99 even though I still have my original FSX Deluxe Edition DVD set. I've enjoyed gaming on Steam for 10+ years and haven't had any significant problems but prefer to have FSX installed standalone. I've read that the Steam Edition incorporates a faster compiler and I'm guessing 64 bit functionality since it addresses Out Of Memory issues. Does anyone know if it's possible to install both versions on separate drives then replace/update the older Deluxe Edition files with the updated SE versions? I know it sounds perverted but it would hopefully preserve my tons of add-ons, remove any worries about online requirements, and save a little time starting the game each time with Steam's sometimes drawn-out boot-up process out of the loop while improving performance. For me it seems like a win-win situation if it's actually possible.

Let me just say that both versions I own are legitimate copies that I purchased myself so I'm not trying to pull any pirating shenanigans. I appreciate any comments.

Thanks! :)

No, you cannot "mix-and-match" the two FSX versions. Period. Full Stop.

You can of course use one or the other, or have both installed on the same disk or separate disks.

You can "share" scenery and even aircraft between the two versions if you carefully make the necessary edits to various configuration files.

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

Hi,

sorry, no 64 bit. A newer compiler was used for building SE, yes, but that doesn't mean inherently faster (and no change in architecture). It might run more FPS, but then again it might not - depends on the system. VAS usage has improved a bit, but no major breakthrough either.

As to your question: it is not possible to swap the binaries (exe, dll etc.), but it is doable to merge your old planes and scenery into SE without haveing to install everything a second time. But it is a significant amount of work. If you know where your simulator stuff lives and how it is tied into FSX, you "just" have to move directories around and edit config files.

I had FSX DVD installed. So I deleted the registry keys and renamed the program folders. Then I installed FSX SE, which now thinks it is alone on the system - and uses the standard naming conventions. Then I symlinked the old FSX folder to the steam one, and all the addons are non the wiser, because they didn't get uninstalled. Then I moved the necessary files and folders into SE one by one, and made sure, that nothing gets overwritten that shouldnt be. One thing I didn't do was moving Ultimate Terrain around - instead I set up SE all ORBX this time (global, vector, NA, EUR, AUS, openLC etc.).

Took the better part of a day, but uninstalling and reinstalling 60+ payware planes and hundreds of payware sceneries with copy protection to boot would have taken longer.

No, you cannot "mix-and-match" the two FSX versions. Period. Full Stop.

You can of course use one or the other, or have both installed on the same disk or separate disks.

You can "share" scenery and even aircraft between the two versions if you carefully make the necessary edits to various configuration files.

Thanx for the quick response n4gix. :D I'm a little surprised as I recently read that Microsoft's limitations on those companies licensing FSX was that mainly only bug-fixes are permitted, no advancements or new developments, etc. allowed, although I seem to remember way back when that the LM Prepar3D version was to include 64-bit goodness. I would have thought that not much else would have changed in the core files with the Steam version except for massaging it to be compatible with Steam's environment.

Hi,

sorry, no 64 bit. A newer compiler was used for building SE, yes, but that doesn't mean inherently faster (and no change in architecture). It might run more FPS, but then again it might not - depends on the system. VAS usage has improved a bit, but no major breakthrough either.

As to your question: it is not possible to swap the binaries (exe, dll etc.), but it is doable to merge your old planes and scenery into SE without haveing to install everything a second time. But it is a significant amount of work. If you know where your simulator stuff lives and how it is tied into FSX, you "just" have to move directories around and edit config files.

I had FSX DVD installed. So I deleted the registry keys and renamed the program folders. Then I installed FSX SE, which now thinks it is alone on the system - and uses the standard naming conventions. Then I symlinked the old FSX folder to the steam one, and all the addons are non the wiser, because they didn't get uninstalled. Then I moved the necessary files and folders into SE one by one, and made sure, that nothing gets overwritten that shouldnt be. One thing I didn't do was moving Ultimate Terrain around - instead I set up SE all ORBX this time (global, vector, NA, EUR, AUS, openLC etc.).

Took the better part of a day, but uninstalling and reinstalling 60+ payware planes and hundreds of payware sceneries with copy protection to boot would have taken longer.

Thanks for taking the time for your in-depth reply nuitkati! I've still got FSX installed on an older Windoze 7 machine so was hoping for a fairly 'easy' new install on my latest much-faster computer, hopefully with Steam Edition fixes/improvements. So from your experience FSX SE version isn't appreciably faster/better than the original? Truth is, I've been away from the game for so long it's like completely starting over again. Anyway, thanks again for the info. :cool:

On my system and running the full set of addons I don't have any improvement in SE. Careful configuration of every flight and FSUIPCs autosave function keep OOM-grievances in check, so I'll never know if SE has been improved there.

After merging and trying SE out for a couple of days, I ended up returning to FSX Gold DX10. I will keep on waiting until SE really takes a larger leap forward, then I will try the merge again.

If you plan on getting into FSX after a long pause, I suggest that you start fresh with SE - and only install addons into it that are certified compatible. That way you stay on top of the current development. Downside is, that as FSX is again being patched and bugfixed, other things may break, so you are constantly on the edge if the next update will work out allright or not (not my cup of tea).

On my system and running the full set of addons I don't have any improvement in SE.

That's too bad. :(

After merging and trying SE out for a couple of days, I ended up returning to FSX Gold DX10. I will keep on waiting until SE really takes a larger leap forward, then I will try the merge again.

Good luck and I hope Steam can (or will be allowed to) make some updates/improvements.

Downside is, that as FSX is again being patched and bugfixed, other things may break, so you are constantly on the edge if the next update will work out allright or not (not my cup of tea).

LOL, Windoze 7 security updates have borked my computer before so I know what you mean about being "on the edge". :eek:

Thanks again for the info nuitkati!

Cheers!

Archived