Direct X 10 preview? Direct X 10 fixer?

beany_bot

Should I be using either of these?

If you want to try. But be forewarned, I've read a lot of add ons don't play nice with DX10, even with the fixer.

I stay far away from it myself. No use messing up FSX in hopes of getting better graphics. I finally have FSX working without fits....

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

If you want to try. But be forewarned, I've read a lot of add ons don't play nice with DX10, even with the fixer.

I stay far away from it myself. No use messing up FSX in hopes of getting better graphics. I finally have FSX working without fits....

This is exactly my dilema "dont fix what isn't broken" and I use A LOT of add-ons.

Checking the DX10 Preview box can in no way "screw up" your FSX.

If you do not like the improved performance and visuals you can simply turn it off.

Microsoft did not have a chance to finish the job of making FSX fully DX10 compatible and there are some issues with it.

Most of those issues have been fixed by third party developers, mainly a guy named Steve Parsons.

He created the payware DX10 Fixer. The Fixer expands on what he gave us for free, which is a set of modified shaders that fixes most of the DX10 issues.

You can get the free shaders at Avsim- http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=185080

My suggestion is that you at least try it before coming on the forums and poo pooing it.

I do not fly without DX10.

What the payware Fixer gives you that you do not get with the free shaders is the ability to use legacy addons in DX10 Mode.

I do not have the Fixer because I had already bought another addon called Addon Converter X which also allows the use of legacy addons in FSX.

You will still find some legacy addons that do not play well with FSX DX10 even with the use of the Fixer or ACX. For the most part these problems do not make the addons unusable, you just see some weird looking stuff, which might be livable if it means using some of your favorite legacy addons.

Those kind of personal decisions are up to the individual.

DX10, try it, you just might like it.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Respectfully Bean, I understand it can be unchecked, but the one and only time I attempted to try DX10, before the fixer was available, even after I unchecked the box, FSX was acting strangely. And I have a lot of addons that specifically state "This product has not been tested with DX10. I am not responsible for"....blah blah.

So, I don't take chances. Even though I live in Vegas, I'm not a gambler, lol.

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

Should I be using either of these?

I've been using DX10 with Steve's Fixer for many months. FSX is now much smoother, resolution is better, and water is much improved. I have many addons, e.g. Orbx, Megascenery, A2A, RealAir, Carenado, etc., and they all work great with DX10. (I'm not saying that it's impossible that there are some products out there that have a problem with DX10, especially old FX9 addons). My FSX is now extremely stable. I almost never have crashes.

And with the click of a button I can revert to DX9...but why would I want to do that?

So where is this fixer? I cannot find it anywhere.

https://stevesfsxanalysis.wordpress.com/how-to-purchase/

Be advised that DX10 will not solve problems, it brings new ones of its own (in case you are hoping for VAS or performance improvment).

I never went back to DX9 once I got the fixer about a year ago, for me it is worth it - even if some things flicker and flash or are just black at night. The lights are a nuisance, I often encounter the problem that light can only be seen at a certain angle - so ground lighting like roads constantly flashes on an off (with TrackIR))

Be advised that cockpit shadows do not work on every aircraft (no luck with the PMDG 737 NGX for example). I feel like the shadows do seldom work, but I cant quantify this. If they do, they are quite spectacular (MilViz 737 works as I witnessed today).

Be advised that cockpit shadows do not work on every aircraft (no luck with the PMDG 737 NGX for example). I feel like the shadows do seldom work, but I cant quantify this. If they do, they are quite spectacular (MilViz 737 works as I witnessed today).

From Steve himself...

I have just stumbled across a new fsx.cfg setting ForceVCShadowMap. Jesus Altuve had mentioned that this setting existed in the past but with no explanation of what it might do.

In DX9 mode it does nothing, which I why I guess it was forgotten.

However in DX10 mode it seems to enable (force) VC cockpits for all aircraft regardless of the setting in the VC Model file.

To enable this locate the [Display] section and add

ForceVCShadowMap=1

With this setting enabled there is no longer any need to use DX10Toolbox to turn the VC Shadows on in the model xml file.

Give it a try, cockpit shadows are cool.

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

I installed it but now I guess a huge work must be done to get it work?

I wanted to email the manual to my office so I could read it here but forgot, anyone knows where I can download a manual so I could start reading?

Also, how do I know if I have a DX10 file installed? Is it being installed automatically with the Fixer?

Also, are there any entries I must add to the fsx.cfg?

Also, how do I know if I have a DX10 file installed? Is it being installed automatically with the Fixer?

Also, are there any entries I must add to the fsx.cfg?

A DX10 file? DX files, or DirectX files are part of the Windows OS, you should already have them.

As far as the FSX.cfg file goes, no entries required, simply check the box in the sim display settings and restart the sim.

To get the most out of DX10 I suggest you read some of the optimizing threads available.

There is one here- https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?259352-FSX-P3D-Software-and-Hardware-Tweaking-Guide

I used the one at Avsim which has info pertaining to setting up nVidia Inspector for DX10- http://forum.avsim.net/files/file/41-basic-fsx-p3d-configuration-guide/

Here is a DX10 "How to" guide- http://www.nzfsim.org/index.php?dsp=dload&fname=DX10_HowTo.pdf

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

I was too curious, I want the DX10 and the shadows inside VCs.

What is the business there?

The cockpit shadows is one of the biggest advantages of using DX10/Steve's Fixer with FSX. On the issue of switching back-and-forth between DX9 and DX10, I've done it many times (while making comparisons) and had absolutelyl no problems whatsoever. It certainly did not foul up FSX. I don't know why it would mess anything up, it was Microsoft who created the button in FSX that allows you to switch between DX9 and DX10.

From Steve himself...

peace,

the Bean

Hi Bean,

thanks, I will try that one. But for example the 737 NGX cockpit shadows wont work either way, because the devs put an opaque box around the cockpit that does not permit the sunlight to enter (or so I understood the issue). Some aircraft (like CaptainSim stuff) have the shadows, but they dont work very well for me (too weak, in wrong places). The last plane that had the real wow-effect was the MilViz 737.

From Steve himself...

peace,

the Bean

And thanks again, I did a short test with two planes that previousy didn't display shadows, they do now (QW 146 and PMDG 777). Very nice.

Archived