removing files /aircraft from base install of FSX

Clipwing

Can aircraft files be removed form the basic install of FSX with out hurting /or messing up the operation of the sim ?? there are maybe 20 aircraft files that I really don't care about included in the inital install...and I'd like to replace them with planes I want to fly . I'm assuming that the start-up ultralight is a must .....but ???? Thanks for any imput .

It is not a good idea to remove default aircrafts, because they are needed for any reason. But you can set panel=off in each aircraft.cfg of the desired airplanes in some (or all) simnumbers and so they wouldn't appear in your aircraftlist.

Caution: I would backup the aircraft.cfg files before doing so, if you change later your mind

happy landings! Christian:pilot:

Intel i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHZ, 4 Kerne, 16 GB

MSI RX 480; M. SATA WD 500 GB;

WD RED PRO 2TB Win 10, 64 bit; FSX Gold Acc.

Never delete default aircraft from your Sim. Do what Flattermann advises about changing the panel= in the aircraft.cfg. Default aircraft are used in the Missions, and as AI aircraft (if you don't have any other AI packages installed). Your default flight can use any aircraft (payware not advised). I, like most, use a simple aircraft like the 172 or Barron to set up a Cold & Dark condition for starting all flights.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Well, nothing bad will happen if you MOVE them ALL to another folder (under Flight Simulator X) called 'z_FSX Temp Storage_Airplanes', and under that create a 'Airplanes' and a 'Rotorcraft' folders and MOVE them all. Then put back SOME (I only put back GA and the Helicoptes and no HEAVY Iron). Then I can delete all but ONE repaint for each airplane and for each helicopter. (I only have GA AI checked). So you have the default aircraft all intact (with all the repaints) and only 'use' the one repaint for each one (the ones I put back).

I went even further in that I created my own folders for '3rd party' aircraft. I made a 'Aircraft_FS9' (where 'non-native' (FSX) models go-even FS2002, etc). I made a 'Aircraft_FSX (for 'native' FSX models). Then I added these lines to FSX.cfg (under (Main) section (so FSX can 'see' them):

'SimObjectPaths.6=SimObjects\Aircraft FS9'

'SimObjectPaths.7=SimObjects\Aircraft FSX'

Under each of these folders I add aircraft and name them using date to sort them. Like this: '14_01_Name' (for 2014) or '15_01_Name' (for 2015). So you can play with the folders under FSX. You just have to be careful and use some common sense. It helps to 'think it out' before you do anything. But it's YOUR sim. Do it your way.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Can aircraft files be removed form the basic install of FSX with out hurting /or messing up the operation of the sim?...

Maybe, but you better make sure you know what you're doing, because some aircraft share bits of the same files (I think it's called 'Aliased').

For example if Aircraft A and B share the same sound file, deleting one of the planes might make the other one silent if its sound file was aliased to the other one.

Maybe, but you better make sure you know what you're doing, because some aircraft share bits of the same files (I think it's called 'Aliased').

For example if Aircraft A and B share the same sound file, deleting one of the planes might make the other one silent if its sound file was aliased to the other one.

+1 Worse yet, if a new aircraft you want to fly aliases a default panel, and that default aircraft is gone, the new aircraft won't even show.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I've seen threads created by other players here asking about and doing this kind of thing and the hurt continued for many posts. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

Don't delete them. It's only 1.21GB. Deleting causes problems.

To make it so they do no longer appear in the aircraft selection screen, but are still flying as AI:

-Make a backup of the aircraft's aircraft.cfg file. Just put that in the same folder, name it aircraft_orig_copy.cfg

-Open the aircraft's aircraft.cfg file.

-Find the section: [fltsim.0]

-in there find the line: panel=

(that line means to the fsx program: "for the panel look in folder 'panel')

-change the line to: panel=off

(that line means to the fsx program: "for the panel look in folder 'panel.off')

-as there in no folder 'panel.off' it can't find a panel.

-Aircraft with no panel do not show up in the aircraft selection, but are still available as AI. Also, the gauges and sound from the folder are still available when other aircraft try to load them.

Then look further down the file for the: [Fltsim.01] section.

That defines the aircraft's second paint job.

Do the same there, change

panel=

to

panel=off

And so on for all [Fltsim. ] entry's, so none of the versions/textures appear any more.

If you want to add other planes, but you don't want them in the normal airplanes folder.

well, the Obvious answer would be, create a different folder for the addons.

but,

One issue can be that some payware aircraft may come with installers that Always install into \Simobject\Aircraft.

So, it may be a better idea to create a folder for the default aircraft.

To create such a folder;

create a folder in simobjects. For example: \Simobjects\DefaultAircraft

Then you need to make fsx aware it needs to look for aircraft in that folder!

open the fsx.cfg file.

Somewhere in there you will find the following:

SimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\Airplanes

SimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\Rotorcraft

SimObjectPaths.2=SimObjects\GroundVehicles

SimObjectPaths.3=SimObjects\Boats

SimObjectPaths.4=SimObjects\Animals

SimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\Misc

directly under that last line, define the folder. In this example:

SimObjectPaths.6=SimObjects\DefaultAircraft

and close and save the fsx.cfg file.

Now fsx is aware of the folder.

You can then move all you default aircraft into it, you can load them just like you used to. (As long as you have not yet hidden them all with panel=off.)

One thing you should know when you do this. Sometimes you will hear here the advice to delete the fsx.cfg and then start fsx. When done, fsx will create a fresh default fsx.cfg file. This can sometimes be usefull when someone has changed other settings in that file, usually settings that have to do with graphics.

All fine, but if YOU ever need to refrsh the fsx.cfg file that way, you will need to put the line:

SimObjectPaths.6=SimObjects\DefaultAircraft

back in. Because it won't be there yet in a fresh fsx.cfg.

If that line is missing, you can't select any of the aircraft, and they won't be available as AI either.

The fsx.cfg can sometimes be refreshed by fsx itself, without you knowing. This can happen (only very rarely,) when fsx is started and the program or computer had crashed the last time you were playing.

So, if you ever start fsx and all your aircraft are missing (AAAGH!!!) don't worry:), Just close fsx, check the fsx.cfg file and you will soon have it corrected.

You can install as many aircraft in fsx as you want. I believe mrZippy has around 6000!

So there is no need to remove any aircraft.

And there is no real need to create different folders for the Defaults the fsxAddons, the FS2004Addons, etcetera either.

If you're not sure you can leave them together. Or leave them together for now, and seperate into different folders later.

All as you choose.

Enjoy,

il88pp

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

-Open the aircraft's aircraft.cfg file.

-Find the section: [fltsim.0]

Then look further down the file for the: [Fltsim.01] section.

And so on for all [Fltsim. ] entry's, so none of the versions/textures appear any more.

Or use Ctrl+H and replace all panel= with panel=off with one keystroke.

Easily reversible.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Thanks to all for the responess. My original question came up because of two reasons, first I am working on a partitioned iMac and am getting freezes because I have loaded my Windows 7 OS right up to the brim of GB and it appears that each time I load in a new aircraft the problems just gets ...MORE ! So I am unable to load on anymore as my partitioned system has "reached the limit" ....Then.. #2.. I have flown X-plane for years and at one time was told that the Sim was set-up so that it must load a specific aircraft initally before loading the remainder of the sim programing on start-up..so "do't remove the XXX file from the sim . Was wondering if FSX had the same type of "Key aircraft" that HAD to be there for complete start-up.

anyway ..THANKS to all for responses.......much good info !!!!

Clipwing

The only plane that absolutely needs to be in FSX is the one in your default flight, whether it is a default or addon.

Honestly, if you are that hard pressed for hard drive space you need to invest in some hardware.

Even having an external drive to store unused planes on should be pretty cheap.

And this is coming from someone who abhors the idea that the only way to fix something is to throw money at it.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

I know this for a Fact !!

from my own experience and mistake !

If you Delete any Default Aircraft in FSX Gold / Acceleration , any other Aircraft rather Default or Add On that depends on any type of Default "Gauges" may not show up, work or display correctly in the other Aircraft of your choosing !

Even some "Add Ons" are Aliased / Rely on some of the Default Gauges in the default cockpit & panels of the Default Aircraft.

Now you'd think all those Gauges are stored in the Main Gauges folder of the Flight Sim, but that's not always the case depending on the Aircraft.

So be very very careful what you DELETE in the way of Default Aircraft and which ones.

1st thing to look for and look very very very carefully is in the Default Aircraft Folders themselves.

There will be 1 "Aircraft Texture Paint folder" with a lotta "Files" in that 1 Folder, DO NOT delete that particular Aircraft Paint Folder

Because the rest of the Aircraft paints for that particular Aircraft , Alias themselves to that 1 particular Folder , otherwords the rest of those Aircraft "Depend" on that 1 Texture Folder for the rest to "DISPLAY" correctly and work correctly !!!!

1 Aircraft Folder / File if set up correctly & properly can make 50 other Aircraft of the "Same" type & variation work properly, just off that 1 Texture Folder , which would be the "MAIN" Texture Folder for that particular Aircraft.

The Trick is with the "Texture CFG File" , known as the "FALLBACK" Texture File, that instructs the other Aircraft Paint Varients what to do, of the same Aircraft Type & Variation.

otherwords, the "Big Toe" with all the files - is telling all the other little Toes what to do , when to do it, and How to do it !!

Mess with the "Big Toe", and all the other little Toes will be lost & Confused !

So, becarefull, messing with the "Big Toe" !!!

A lotta "Little Toes" depend on the "Big Toe" !

However - you can take away some of the little Toes, and the Big Toe won't care, because the Big Toe is the one with all the Toe Jam !!

Thank You, Big Joe, with the Big Toe !

Hi clip,

All valid concerns expressed here. If you did delete some of the aircraft and had problems I'm pretty sure you could make an educated guess as to what the problem was by just referring to this thread. I wouldn't recommend deleting any of the aircraft but moving the airplanes to a dvd should be okay.

But perhaps another alternative would help with your problem. The Missions take up over a gig of disc space. If your not flying Missions the whole folder could be moved to a disc. I don't believe there is any inter-dependency so probably just relocating ones your not interested in may help.

Jim F.

Archived