Can't Get FSX To Go To Full Screen After Alt+Enter or Options

spirittoo

I am trying to set up 3 monitors in FSX ... middle front view, sides left and right view. When I go into FSX and click either option to go to full screen I just get a distorted view of the cockpit, a blank screen for a second, then distorted view again in a never ending loop. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Thank you for reading my post.

XP10/FSXSE_MSI B350_AMD Ryzen7 1700_16Gb DDR4 2133_Win7 64_GTX 550 1GB GPU

FSXSE/XP11/P3D ECS H87H3-WM_Intel i7 4770k @3.5Ghz_16Gb DDR3 1600_Win7 64_GTX 1050Ti 4GB GPU

From what I have read in other threads here, setting up multiple monitors is sometimes a complex problem.

Things you can do to get going is to visit the web sites for your video cards. They often have a lot of information on multiple monitors.

Also, visit the hardware forum on this site.

Last, do searches on this forum for multiple monitors or three monitors, etc. There have been many many threads created on this subject.

From what little I understand, you need to set up all the monitors to their native resolution and your desktop and FSX to the lowest resolution you have in your monitors. I suspect one or more of your monitors is not set to the same rez as the others.

Added:

If none of this works, here are other things:

1) There are some add-ons which produce black screen problems.

2) Once all your other details above have been addressed, there are various tricks and work-arounds people have adopted for task switching in FSX which was not designed for operating systems later than Vista. Not all tricks work for everyone.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

I really don't want to used the 4 monitor in the sim, I want it open to use it with windows .... the three are 1920 x 1080 and the 4th is 1600 x 900.

FSXSE/XP11/P3D ECS H87H3-WM_Intel i7 4770k @3.5Ghz_16Gb DDR3 1600_Win7 64_GTX 1050Ti 4GB GPU

Some general rules I noticed when trying out two monitors with fsx. (only one monitor set up at the moment, so I can't test.)

From memory:

And, this applies to 'regular' videocards that are not set up to use 'Surround Mode'.

-1- When FSX runs full screen all monitors go black. Using other programs in Windows when running fsx is only possible with fsx in windowed mode.

-2- With fsx in windowed mode you can create an extra 'new view' which opens in a tiny window in the main screen. You can then right click the new view, and click 'Undock window'. The new view is now surrounded by its own window, with a title bar. That window you can drag over to the second monitor.

-3- You can do that for your left and right window, and leave the straight ahead view as it is. The 4th monitor is then still showing the desktop and is usable**

** -4- There may be one or two issues though. As far as I remember fsx always opens on the Primary monitor, so on the monitor that contains the taskbar and desktop icons. And I belive it needs to stay there. I remember trying to move the main display to a side monitor and getting something like the flashing monitor situation you describe. That means with fsx runnong it will be covering your desktop icons. (though the taskbar will be visible.)

** -5- Technically, as the taskbar is displayed on the center monitor, where fsx is also, the window containing fsx will be smaller (less high) than the fsx windows on the left and right monitor. Won't make a spit of difference to fsx, it will run fine, but it may look less appealing.

-6- There are several free utilities / fixes that eliminate the window that is around fsx when it is in windowed mode. So, no blue title bar or window borders. Can't advise one, but they are worth looking in to. They are not specifically for fsx, no need to use fsx as search term.

-7- You could set the Windows taskbar to 'auto hide'. In Win7 you can also have the taskbar sit at the top, bottom, or side of the screen, as you prefer.

Summary;

Setting it up like that would mean

-Taskbar and desktop icons on center monitor.

-Fsx opens on center monitor.

-Start a flight and go windowed mode.

-Create views for left and right, undock them, and drag them over to their respective monitors.

-4th monitor is blank. Taskbar is on center monitor still visible.

To start another program (let's say IE):

-Minimise fsx on the center monitor.

-Start IE, it will show on the center monitor.

-Drag IE over to monitor 4.

-maximise the fsx window on the center monitor again.

You can open several programs and drag them all to the 4th monitor.

If you want to switch between the different programs that are on monitor 4 you use the buttons on the taskbar on the center monitor.

!! Addition, I just did some reading and found that you can drag the taskbar to the 4th monitor also!!! You would still get programs opening on the 'Desktop' monitor (center monitor), but it would make things look much better. Uncheck 'lock the taskbar', and drag it over. (in Win 7 anyway)

Some modern videocards have the option of 'Surround Mode'. Mine doesn't so I can't really advise. I'll give it a go anyway.

What I read about Surround Mode is it uses the three displays as if it is one big one. Creating one huge resolution, something like 5760x1080 for example, and spanning that image over the three monitors.

I got the feeling it stretches the forward facing view over three monitors, giving the Impression of a wide view. But maybe it can also be used to set up three different views, left right and center as you want.

I'm not sure Nvidia Surround allows using other programs in Windows in the background with fsx in full screen.

But, look into it. If you Vcard has that capability, spanning across three displays could be just what you want.

Sorry I can't give you very specific info. Back when I was using 2 monitors I used fsx in windowed mode, while I had online flying utilities open on the second monitor. That worked great, and I didn't mind the title bar in fsx. I did not use it for side view windows.

Hope I didn't write to much nonsense again...

il88pp.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well sir ... I got it together ... my instructor showed me how to get the three screens going. First of all I didn't need to go into full screen mode like I saw on youtube. I had to hit the [ key and right click on the new window and clicked undock window in the menu. Then I dragged the new window over to my left, then right screen using the same procedure. Then I had to right click on each window on the sides and choose V cockpit, then used my POV on my stick to turn the view to the side. I lined every thing up with my POV, then saved the flight. So I have my three screens for the sim and the 4th for the map on line.

A big thanks to those that took the time to post. I hope this helps someone else in my situation.

"-1- When FSX runs full screen all monitors go black. Using other programs in Windows when running fsx is only possible with fsx in windowed mode."

Not true. I task switch from applications on the desktop in/out of full screen mode hundreds of times a day without problems. Doing so is not intuitive and requires a learned technique.

I'm glad sprittoo got his monitors set up properly.

-Pv-

Tags: monitor screen screens multiple full windowed undock window

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

I'm glad sprittoo got his monitors set up properly.

-Pv-

Not all flight sim lovers are male. Us women in comfortable shoes enjoy it as well. :)

Archived