No GPS in Carenado Baron B58 and Bonanza V35B

johnost

I recently purchased the above Carenado planes, but unhappily found that they use the Garmin GNS 430 - no GPS map! Since I use GPS for most of my flights (VFR), this is a serious limitation in using these otherwise beautiful planes.

Can anyone tell me how to install the default Garmin GPS 500 - not in the panel, but just available by keystroke(s), i.e. Shift + number?

CPU I7-960 @ 3.8 Ghz, Asetek Water Cooler

Asus P6T X58 MB, 6Gb RAM Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600Mhz

EVGA nVidia GTX 570, 1.28Gb DDR5 RAM

1 Tb SATA II HD, Kingston 128Gb SSD (FSX only)

Apevia 800W PS, Win 7 64-bit Acceleration

OrbxFTX Global BASE, OrbxFTX Global Vector, OrbxFTX open LCEurope, FS Genesis World Mesh, DX10 Fixer

Easy Peasy, presuming you know the simple basics of editing a Panel.cfg file.

Ready?

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS make a copy of ANY file you decide to edit BEFORE you start!!!

Open the mentioned file with notepad or it's ilk.

Locate the section [Window Titles]

After the last entry in it, say window04=radio_stack for example, add another line, with the next number in line. In this example it would be window05=GPS.

If there already IS a line with windowXX=GPS, then disregard this portion. More on this later...

If you added a line then go to the section above your [vcockpit01], in this example, [window04]

Add another section, similar to this:

[Window02]

size_mm=456,378

window_size=0.5

position=8

BACKGROUND_COLOR=0,0,0

VISIBLE=0

ident=GPS_PANEL

gauge00=fs9gps!gps_500, 0,0

It may or may not be the proper size for your panel. If it is, you're done. If not, adjust the line reading size_mm=456,378, either higher numbers to make it bigger, or lower numbers to make it smaller. A little experimentation and you'l be a pro in no time. Save and done!

NOW, if a GPS line already existed, as noted above, simply replace it's line gauge00=fs9gps!gps_430, 0,0 (again, just an example!)

with a line reading gauge00=fs9gps!gps_500, 0,0. Save and done!

Either way, you will now have a Shift+X popup window with the default FS9 GPS.

Hope this is about a tad clearer than mud :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

I haven't got FSX running at the moment, so not sure of the exact wording:-

With the GPS as installed, mouse click to the right of the GPS screen where it has "default (something)" and this will bring up the MAP. I don't know how to get terrain shading though.

Thanks a lot, Pat, your instructions worked perfectly, problem solved.

Glad I could help out :D

I didn't want to sound condescending, or make it too complicated for a rank tyro (Like ME!) to follow. I'm glad I could walk the fine line :)

Ask me the time, I'll tell ya how to build a clock LOL!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

• 6 years later...

"PhantomTweak;1902489]

Easy Peasy, presuming you know the simple basics of editing a Panel.cfg file.

NOW, if a GPS line already existed, as noted above, simply replace it's line gauge00=fs9gps!gps_430, 0,0 (again, just an example!) with a line reading gauge00=fs9gps!gps_500, 0,0.

Save and done!

. . . . . . you will now have a Shift+X popup window with the default FS9 GPS.

Hope this is about a tad clearer than mud :D

Pat☺"

Thanks Pat.

Very very helpful post.

'Clear as' sir!

Cheers