Setting flaps before landing

Artur Mycroft

Well.....probably before you land! ;) When flying my 737, for example, as I pass through 10,000 feet, on descent, at about 250 Knots Indicated, I start lowering the flaps one step at a time and continue as I lose speed and altitude. By the time I am on my final approach (whether on visual or ILS) I have my flaps set for landing using either 30-45 degrees(depends on runway length) speed about 135-140 Knots, wheels down about 12 miles out and spoilers armed/legged.

Might I also highly recommend the flying lessons that are in your Sim! Also most of the Tutorial Missions will have either an Instructor or co-pilot giving instructions about when to set flaps, lower speeds, etc.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

In the FSX default aircraft there is a checklist for each aircraft. Take the time to look at it before you take off. Example

On the boeing 737 once you start to get to 10000' set your airspeed to 240 knots.

As you reach your approach lane lower to 180 knots and flaps to the first position about 10 miles from the runway. Always think a step ahead.

Once you start your final start lowering speed to 160 knots set the flaps to 10 / Lower landing gear which will help slow the aircraft. Set the spoilers to ARM about 30 percent this is on your throttle panel and a light on the dash will indicate it is armed. Depending on how long the runway is set your auto brake to position 2 ( Note the auto-brake will not release as it should so you will come to a complete stop unless you are using the 2D cockpit where you can release it manually)

As you reach 1000' above the ground set speed to 145 and flaps to 25

once you reach 500 feet above the ground set speed to 135 knots and flaps to full 40

Just above the runway release the auto pilot and speed controls and flare the aircraft from 5 to 7 % PITCH Up and try to touchdown at a vertical speed of -200 fpm or lower.

as zippy was saying, it depends a lot on the plane. when i learned to fly in real life many years ago, i was taught initially to land my cessna 150 w no flaps at all. as training progressed we began using them for all types of takeoffs and landings: short-field, soft-field, short-field over an obstacle, etc. you can really increase your angle of descent w flaps, and they lower your stall speed. you may want to learn what those color codings are on your airspeed indicator, and learn your "v-speeds" for each of the aircraft u fly.

all this is assuming u want it to be as real as possible. u can also change the settings to easy, turn off collisions, set wind velocity to zero all the time and just have fun with it. it's all totally up to u! :-)

Phil Colvin

Airplanes in Sim do not fly as expected in either 'Easy' or 'Hard' setting for realism. Set it to 'MEDIUM' and LEAVE IT THERE (speaking from 10 yrs experience). That would be one less thing you have to worry about.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

• 3 weeks later...

Archived