Quick Question About Creating Textures

Rex Cramer

Hi everybody

So I finished my first re texture of an aircraft in FSX, the IRIS F 15E, now I'm simply having trouble with the aircraft.cfg file & how exactly to get the texture to show up as it's own thumbnail when all variations of an aircraft are shown. I've searched around but have been unable to find criteria for this, I've done my best to replicate how I've done it in the past when I added newly downloaded textures.

If anyone knows more about how this works I'd love to hear from you and I'll be excited to upload my texture on this site :cool:

Thanks everyone

To get you started creating thumbnails look in your aircraft texture folders. You'll see the thumbnail.jpg files. Make yours the same size. More information if you need it (which I doubt) is in the FSX SDK.

...:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\B737_800\texture.1

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

It's actually easy to create a thumbnail. Select the aircraft for a flight fly it around and zoom in or out until you have it as you like it, then take a screen print by holding the Windows key and hitting the Prt Scr key. Then use Irfanview or other image-processing application (Irfanview is small and free) to save the picture as thumbnail.jpg and put that in the texture folder.

Jorgen

To update the aircraft.cfg with your new paint details is easy, copy & paste the [fltsim.x] details of an existing aircraft in the aircraft.cfg & change the [fltsim.x] (change the "x" to the next sequential No. after the last fltsim entry) then edit the "title=" line so that it is different to any other fltsim entry, also make sure you have your new texture name in the texture= entry, finally make the "ui_variation=" different to any other entry.

As for the thumbnail, take a flight with your newly painted aircraft & take a screenshot using the "V" key, which will save a bmp in the "Flight Simulator X Files" folder in your pictures library, open the bmp screenshot with Microsoft paint & resize to 256x128 & save as "thumbnail" jpeg & place in your new texture folder.

You can also take a screenshot with the print screen key and simply open any graphics program and paste. No need to go looking up a file somewhere this way and your HD isn't filing up with images you don't need.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

Or you can use the Snipping Tool which saves as a .jpg by default, no need to convert.

Save it to your Desktop as thumbnail.jpg and drag it to your texture folder.

Bob's yer uncle.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Archived