iFly 747 FMC

cavalierjan19

Hi everyone,

I downloaded the iFly 747 a while ago and I've got one problem with it.

When I want to type in the flight origin and put it into the correct place, the comes a communicate saying not in data base. I have heard about similar problem s with the 737 made by this company, but haven't found a single solution.

Anyone in here knows how to fix this? If yes, then how?

My Blog:http://thebadpilotsblog.blogspot.com/ My PC: i7-3970X up to 4.0GHz, Gigabyte GTX970 OC, Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme, Kingston HyperX Beast XMP 16GB, Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD, Western Digital Black 2TB, Noctua NH-D15, Thermaltake SE Smart 630W, Cooler Master CM690 III, Windows 10.

I am typing in the origin of the flight (egll) and the FMC replies not in data base. Same think with kjfk, epwa, lemd,eddf and any airport.
My Blog:http://thebadpilotsblog.blogspot.com/ My PC: i7-3970X up to 4.0GHz, Gigabyte GTX970 OC, Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme, Kingston HyperX Beast XMP 16GB, Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD, Western Digital Black 2TB, Noctua NH-D15, Thermaltake SE Smart 630W, Cooler Master CM690 III, Windows 10.

• 2 weeks later...

I am talking about the freeware.

I searched for a similar problem in the Ifly support, I got redeirected to avsim. I found out that I need the AIRAC, I found this one http://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids3.html, but I am not able to install it. Anyone know what to do?

It's been a while since I flew the Ifly 747 freeware, but I think you can't load navdata in that FMC. At least, not airac's.

I do think it's possible in the payware version. ( I never had that aircraft though.)

Try Google for more info.

I remember playing with the FMC a lot, and eventually I got it to follow lateral navigation somehow I think, but maybe that was by loading a normal flight plan. Some FMC's require you to load a flightplan through the default fsx flightplanner.

I remember it was pretty cool to finally engage the lnav on the autopilot. maybe even vertical navigation (climb descend), but I don't think I got that working well.

I think I eventually gave up and removed the FMC or the clock popup panel, and replaced it with a default GPS.

I hope that helps a bit, as I say, it's been a while.

It is a cool plane though. Lots of systems. Cool TCAS. Ever tried opening the door at 30.000 ft? Such fun!

il88pp

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You know what, I barely use this plane due to this issue. However it is a very nice one, the liveries are cool, it has got a better feeling of the weight and size of the airplane. The panel is a little bit flat, however that is acceptable. I am going to try out the default flight planner thing, and see if it works. :rolleyes:

Ok, I checked it and it didn't work at all. I couldn't type in the reference airport, because it isn't in data base. :p

I saw that the FMC does not have NAV DATA. Well, interesting. If you cant load it, then you can't fly, so you won't use the airplane.:(

Maybe I spoke to soon. I just installed the ifly, and it does place a folder 'navdata' in a folder 'iFly' in the main fsx folder. The readme says it can be also updated.

Also, in the folder 'iFly'. In there is a manual. It explains the FMC.

But how, or where to find navdata for this particular aircraft, no idea.

If I ever find an answer I'l post it, but I won't make a mission out of it.

il88pp

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It seems it is possible to use the FMC, as long as you have the navdata folder installed.

I installed it in the \Microsoft Flight Simulator X\iFly\747-400\Navdata folder.

(I installed the aircraft to a seperate folder for safety, then moved everything over.)

These guys say it may be possible to update the navdata even.

(they mention a different folder to install in initially. Putting the navdata directly in the aircraft's folder. I just tested and that is not correct. The iFly\747-400\navdata\ -folder has to be in the main FSX folder.)

have a look here:

http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=61000

links on to here:

http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=34143

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

managed to enter a origin and destination.

one waypoint ( a vor enroute ) and a airspeed and flightlevel to fly at that point.

So there is definitely a working database with the freeware version.

Haven't tried if I can make the autopilot follow the plan, and setting up is slow. Landing....

Sorry if I made you delete it.:(

il88pp

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks,

The problem with navigraph is that it actually needs some subscription (payware), so that you can download the Navdata. Therfore it looks to be payware, despite being freeware.

Maybe there is some ifly 737 ngx navdata for free.

I have not given up, I will try to fix this one.

Anyway I am having a busy day with the suprunov yak-40 too, trying too start it up. Russian planes are tricky.

Yes, the updates (from the 737 perhaps) would be payware.

But a free database is included. (I think I saw 2005 as the date of the database in the FMC.)

It has waypoints. I just created a plan: HECA-LGAT-LOWW-KIR-EDDF.

But, I found no way to load a SID/STAR so far.

For departure it was no problem. A bit of a steep bank, but it followed the flightplan nicely. Takeoff RW05 then turning north towardw LGAT.

Climbed to FL290 as requested, at ok speeds.

I could manage speed while LNAV was on. And when I reengaged VNAV that took me to the speed in the flightplan (310 kt)

At LGAT another turn to the next waypoint, and a slight change in speed and altitude as programmed in the fmc.

Didn't do much apart from pressing TOGA on takeoff.

So, basically it works.

I expect if I leave the PC running I will end up near EDDF, at 4000ft as planned. Without any further input.

I did not manage to find Star's or select ILS. But, in the \iFly -folder in the main FSX folder, is a folder 'SIDS' and a folder '\STARS', so it's probably just me.

For now landing manually though.

The manual is 300 pages long, Learning to use the SID's and STAR's may be just a matter of reading it all. :)

Each waypoint has to be entered into the FMC manually. With ocean crossings that will probably mean entering coordinates. (no VOR's there.). Or you would have to fly "direct" but then you can't step-climb.

It's quite the project!

Thanks iFly!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I uninstalled it and installed it again and there is indeed a folder called navdata, still the fmc replies that the airport is not in data base. Why????

I managed a full flight with the iFly, including ILS landing. I'm completely knackered now, it took a few tries. First starting back at takeoff. Then continuing from saved flight. Every time the FMC needs to be set up again. (mid flight!). Then it took two go-arounds before I got it down. Was not able to load a STAR, but I did find a straight-in-8NM-final-setup.

Fun.

About the navdata.

I don't have much energy left. Doing a relexed flight now in a different plane. So I can't do any testing now.

From memory.

First, are we using the same file. I'm using fly74711.zip (fsx version)

(There is also a FS9 version, 74710.zip)

Then the install. I created a seperate working folder, "..\ifly_unzipped".

Then I ran the installer, and pointed it to "..\ifly_unzipped".

( I don't like installers to place files in the fsx folder themselves)

In Ifly unzipped were then four folders.

\gauges (contains one gauge)

\effects (contains 3 effects)

\Simobjects\airplanes\iFly747 (contains the aircraft)

\ifly (which contains -->)

\ifly\747-400 (which contains -->)

\ifly\747-400\Manual

\ifly\747-400\Sound

\ifly\747-400\navdata (which contains -->)

\ifly\747-400\navdata\FLTPLN

\ifly\747-400\navdata\SIDS

\ifly\747-400\navdata\STARS

\ifly\747-400\navdata\ --also contains seperate files:

airport.dat - fmc_ident.txt - wpNavAID.txt - wpNavAPT.txt - wpNavFIX.txt - wpNavRTE.txt

At first I forgot to install the ifly folder, I had assumed it would only contain the manual. Effects, Gauges, Aircraft I installed.

When I loaded the aircraft, I looked at the FMC and saw "FMC" in the display at the top. I pressed the button next to it and got to the FMC main page.

That got me to the "IDENT" page. At the top left it said:

"MODEL"

iFly747-400

below that it said:

"NAV DATA"

but nothing given for that.

I closed FSX.

Then, I looked again at the "..\ifly_unzipped" folder, and fond the navdata.

I copied the entire iFly folder. (with in it \747\navdata etcetera)

And pasted it in my E:\\mygames\Mycrosoft Flight Simulator X\ -folder.

I then restarted FSX. Loaded the plane. When I got to the page in the FMC now it shows like the pic below.

If it does not show the airac number in yours, the navdata is not loaded.

In case the airac IS loaded:

There could be another reason for your "airport not in database" message. I got the message a few times while the navdata was there.

why? Not sure. may be because of not choosing a Pos Init (you need to enter the airport you are at as first step when using the fmc)

It may also be because I chose the airport I was at, as the next waypoint. Then it is trying to say, can't fy from "A" to "A". Or similar programming errors.

I will test later by removing the navdata and testing the effect.

I just realised I also have a copy of the "ifly" folder with the navdata etcetera, in the aircraft folder. (so in airplanes\iFly747).

As I said a few posts ago, I did test earlier, with the "ifly" folder only in the aircraft's folder and not in the \Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ -folder and that did not work.

Now I'm thinking that maybe it needs to be in both locations.....

I'll test later, could be a few days. It's an interesting plane, I'm starting to like it. But it's also very tiresome. both setting up, and monitoring the FMC in flight. I don't feel like getting near it for a few days now.

Fun, but not for every day.

In the mean time, read the manual. The part about the FMC starts at page 178. After an extensive introduction, it takes you through setting up a flight from start to finish. Not an easy read, but if you load up a flight, just try things out, reading as you go, you can get through it.

here's how it should look when the navdata is loaded. (navdata as included with the aircraft.)

FMC iFly.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It does not show the navdata, even though I followed the steps you have given me. I tried copying the Navdta folder into the simobjects/airplanes/ifly 747-400, and it didn't work. I have got the Ifly folder both in the Microsoft games/Microsoft flight simulator folder and simobjects airplanes.

There ismt any airac in Navdata, when I open the FMC up. Just blank space.

Ifly2.png

IFLY.png

• 2 years later...

Apologies for not responding again sooner. Must have slipped my mind.

The folder that the "Ifly" folder with the navdata goes is:

(in my install)

C:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X

(or if you use the default install location C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X)

In other words, same location as the fsx.exe file is.

I thought you did that, but now that I re-read your last post, and see the image, I thought I should describe that location more clearly.

I thought I should look through my folders to see if it were anywhere else as well, but it is not anymore.

So I don Not have it in the folder:

airplanes\Ifly 747-400

I loaded the Ifly 747 freeware, and the navdata showed fine.

I also checked my fsx.exe file. I do not run it as Admin.

My fsx is not installed in C:\Program Files (x86)

but in a separate folder on C:\

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived