Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Got my first ever RC helicopter

Blog Entries

Default Got my first ever RC helicopter

for Christmas. Gotta say, it's a lot of fun, but I wish the battery lasted longer than a few minutes. It's an indoor/outdoor small sized one, like this one:

how to do a screenshot on a pc

Mine is blue in color. Anyone else fly these? Besides FSX, I found my new hobby!
    Dell XPS X8300 Intel core i7-2600(3.4 GHZ,8 MB Cache) 8 GB memory 1.5 TB HDD 2 GB Nvidia 1050 ti graphics card Windows 7

They are fun but can be addictive and expensive. I had a little heli like that a few years ago and it quickly escalated into fixed pitch, then the more expensive collective pitch, then bigger and even more expensive collective pitch helis.

There are quite a lot of different simulators you can get. Discussion forums like rcgroups and helifreak are good places for resource and info. Take it slow and have fun.
    Last edited by Stepolano; 01-08-2015 at 06:37 AM.

Have one. Been sitting on my bookcase shelf for the last 2 years!
    Mr Zippy Sent from my keyboard using "Whackamole", NudgeAKey + 2 Fingers

No flight Sim installed until I get a new computer.

Those are neat, but I was soon frustrated by the lack of control, so I went to a fixed pitch single blade -- took some getting used to, to say the least, but fun, even though I spent a lot on replacement parts while learning. Now, as Stepolano has, I've gone to a collective pitch unit, so another learning curve, and more replacement parts.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:
    Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

5. Default

I've been looking at these quad copters for two months, I don't have the i-phone that it down-links to though and I don't really want one but I think you can buy VR goggles instead. Oh yeah, also the price tag is a bit of a stumbling block, lol.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...sion_plus.html

I've all but talked myself out of it because the public consensus seems to be that they should be blown out of the sky with shotguns because they obviously have no practical use beyond spying on your neighbors. I can sorta get that because I'd be a little concerned too if my neighbor bought one and started flying over my place at 200 AGL. People don't get that the camera is your "windshield" and you use it to fly. Still, if you have to load it up and go somewhere so you're not near someone's back yard to fly it, well that pretty much ruins it for me because I'd want one to fly right here on my own place.

Here's a top notch video made over Norway with one, stunning if you have the bandwidth to see it in 1080p (I don't unfortunately). This is the sort of thing I'd like to do with one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkJwQsR9rsw

Couple more vids:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlXGU20F-ME#t=32

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfxdeRx2fLA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30HDdocMyAk

Blog Entries

I can see how this can become an addiction, lol.

I'm slowly mastering the controls and already feel I'm ready to "step up" to something bigger!
    Dell XPS X8300 Intel core i7-2600(3.4 GHZ,8 MB Cache) 8 GB memory 1.5 TB HDD 2 GB Nvidia 1050 ti graphics card Windows 7

7. Default

You must resist!

I have a nice variable collective, variable tailrotor bird, about 4 1/2 feet long overall I use on warm summer afternoons...they ARE addictive! Beware the addiction...MUAHAHAHA!!
    ahem
    pat☺

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!
    Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now

Blog Entries

Probably goes back to when I was a kid. We used to attend the local RC plane shows. I was always amazed at just how big and detailed those planes were. (Helos as well!)

Talk about taking a hobby to the extreme!

And I'm sure like me, they started small. Lol

I've been looking at these quad copters for two months, I don't have the i-phone that it down-links to though and I don't really want one but I think you can buy VR goggles instead. Oh yeah, also the price tag is a bit of a stumbling block, lol.
    You can go to much less expensive quads, without the FPV part, and smaller, that can be used indoors. This one comes with or without a camera (RTF = Ready To Fly, meaning with transmitter): http://www.horizonhobby.com/180-qx-b...camera-blh7485

I have the version with a camera, and the video is decent, but not super.

This little Proto X quad is about the size of a saltine cracker, is very controllable (even outdoors, somewhat) and is a blast. And this little Hubsan X4 H107 is a little bigger, is fun to fly (even outdoors at night), and is still inexpensive.

There are, of course, lots of others.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:
    Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast