FSX acceleration will not install due to cyclic redundancy check

01Beaker

Hi,

I have had FSX gold edition for a long time and just got a new laptop and decided to download it on here. It downloaded well the first time, and everything was fine, but the textures were blurry. I decided to uninstall and re install it. I uninstalled it using "uninstall a program" from windows, and uninstalled both. I was able to successfully install the FSX deluxe and authenticate it. But when I attempted to install FSX acceleration, it loads fine, saying "updating component registration" and showing 2 stunt planes racing (as it should) but eventually it stops and says "Data Error: Cyclic Redundancy Check"crc error.PNGcrc error after ok.PNG These are the popups that, well, pop up! I have no idea what to do. Is there a way to download the files so that i could install them and activate using my code? I really need help. Thank you in advance!

"...got a new laptop and decided to download it on here. It downloaded well the first time..."

What is the "IT" you downloaded?

"everything was fine, but the textures were blurry. I decided to uninstall and re install it."

Reinstall WHAT?

"and uninstalled both"

Both What?

What are your system specifications?

Possibilities:

There was nothing really wrong and instead of fixing the real problem properly, you panicked and uninstalled FS which you should not have.

Installing from invalid media.

Installing from damaged media.

Installing to damaged HD or partition.

Previous FS installation was not removed properly.

Your computer is too slow to run FSX properly and you are not waiting long enough for FS to load completely when it starts the first time after installing.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

Cyclic Redundancy Check. (CRC)

To be honest, first time I heard of it, so bear with.

CRC is a way in which raw data that is read from a drive/disk/network is checked for errors.

The following is not completely true, but it gives an impression of what happens. The data is read, and then read a second time. Both these should give the same result if the data is fine and is being read ok.

If the data is not being read correctly because of a damaged disk or drive, the results will be different. That's when you get your CRC error.

Now what's happening to you.

CRC errors can occur when you try to read from a broken harddisk, DVD/CD, or when the CD/DVD player or harddisk itself is broken and reads the CD/DVD incorrectly. (It's also used to check ethernet data, not important here.)

From what you wrote I can't make out when the error occurs exactly. Does it happen when you run a file from the FSX-DVD? Or when running something that is already on your PC?

If if it happens when running a file from the DVD (the installer) it could be a simple fix. Clean the DVD. Greasy fingerprints can mean the data on the disk can not be read correctly.

If if it happens when running a file from the DVD (the installer), it could also mean the DVD reader is broken. A little harder to fix I guess.

If it is happening while running a file from the Harddisk it means the harddisk is busted. I would look towards replacing it.

Windows has a built in 'disk check' utility, which may help temporarily. But use with care, it 'repair' things by deleting corrupt data!

I came across several suggestions of what to do in case of CRC error on a harddisk/external drive. Didn't read them all, some said it could be a windows error too, and a format+reinstall windows could help. So read up on it before throwing that Harddisk away:).

The complex part of this is that during install, the files on the DVD are checked for integrity, but the files that are installed on the HD are also checked to see if they were copied correctly. This means I think that your first error does not make clear which device (HD or DVD) is causing the issue (is damaged).

But.. to me it looks mostly like a read error from the DVD. I would try cleaning it (Give it a quick wash with fairy liquid and a quick dry, do not rub the surface with anything rough. And do not leave the DVD soaking in the water, just a Quick Soap-Rinse-Dry Affair.).

If that still does not help it may be the DVD player. You could try to use another computer to copy everything from the DVD to a USB stick. Then install from the usb stick. (That only works for accleration, since it is on one DVD.)

I found most of this by searching google for: cyclic redundancy check

Found a long wiki explanation (for nerds I guess:))

And some fixes on Tom's Hardware Forum, mostly questions about CRC errors from busted External Haddisks.

As I said, first time I heard of this error, so use your own brain too.;) Hope it helps.

il88pp.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

the hole time I was talking about the acceleration expansion pack. I have FSX vanilla installed and it works fine. the blurry textures were caused by the default graphics settings, as they were too low. I have recently tried to run the install program in compatibility mode for vista sp2, 7, and xp sp3. none worked. as the program is working correctly, it loads up until it says "Updating component registration. I have no idea why the load stops there. (acceleration x pack install.)

From what you wrote I can't make out when the error occurs exactly. Does it happen when you run a file from the FSX-DVD? Or when running something that is already on your PC?

il88pp.

so I have been trying to load it from the disk. I will attempt to copy the disk files to a flash drive, but I really do not want to mess up the disk by attempting to clean it as I do not have all of the things that i would need. thank you for the help I will get back to you once I have attempted the flash drive install method that you mentioned.

I have tried to load all the fsx acceleration files to a flash drive, but it cannot copy " product.cab" it says "Can't read from the source file or disk" is there a way that I could download the files of FSX acceleration so that i could install it and use the verification code? thank you for all your help so far.

For all the hassle you are dealing with, why not go to Steam and get it for $5?

Then you would not need to worry about bad discs or drives.

Just my 2 cents worth.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

"...way that I could download the files of FSX acceleration so that i could install it..."

No. That would be illegal.

"I have recently tried to run the install program in compatibility mode for vista sp2"

Complete waste of time. This has never solved any FSX problems for anyone.

My best understanding from you is the Acceleration upgrade disk is damaged, or dirty and/or unreadable:

"Can't read from the source file or disk"

Cleaning:

This is not hard, but if scratches or dirt is the problem (you can easily tell this just by LOOKING at it in a bright light) you can fix this yourself with common home tools but you have to be careful. If you do not see scratches or finger prints or dog slobber, don't do anything to the disk. Instead, contact who you got it from and pursue shipping it back and get a replacement disk/money back.)

All you need is a clean soft cloth (not wet) and silver or brass polish.

Place a VERY small amount of polish on the cloth and wipe the disk GENTLY from the inside to the outside in STRAIGHT LINES (NO CIRCLES!) If you wipe in circles like you do polishing a car, you will damage the disk. Continue to wipe GENTLY in STRAIGHT LINES from CENTER to EDGE until the scratch/cat poop fades. It's not necessary to completely remove scratches. Lasers and DVD drive software is designed to overcome minor defects. If the data on the metal imbedded INSIDE the plastic of the disk is bad, there is absolutely NOTHING you can do.

Use an uncontaminated portion of the cloth to wipe away all the polish (straight lines from the inside of the disk to the outside of the disk (No CIRCLES!)

If this does not fix your problem, you have a damaged DVD drive or a defective DVD disk.

"I have FSX vanilla installed and it works fine"

You probably have "Deluxe." If you cannot get an Acceleration upgrade you are not missing THAT much. Deluxe is a fine product and runs as fast and looks as good as Acceleration. Just about every FSX add-on works with it (probably over 99%.)

When you install Acceleration, you need to remove SP2 from Deluxe first if you updated Deluxe to SP1, then SP2.

You can try purchasing a Steam installation but I don't know if they offer it as an Acceleration upgrade to Deluxe.

Note:

"got a new laptop and decided to download it on here"

When you seek assistance, you'll get help a lot sooner if you use correct computer terminology: "Installed Deluxe and Acceleration upgrade onto my laptop"

"Download" means get a file off the Internet.

"It" means nothing unless you define "it."

"here" means nothing unless you define "here."

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

Copying from an old install won't work.

If I understand correctly you tried to copy everything to the usb on a different computer, and that also failed with a disk-read error. That makes me think even more the disk is dirty/scratched.

Again, I would try cleaning it.

I was just as scared of cleaning the DVD as you at first.

A while ago I had the same problem.

I googled -howto clean a dvd- and found several methods. 'alcohol', rub with clean cloth', 'soap and water', etc, etc.

Fairy liquid or cloth seemed safest to me.

I then googled: -never use liquid on dvd- just to make sure I wasn't missing something. I found many saying: "never use alcohol to clean...", "never rub the surface of....". But not a single hit on google about not using fairy liquid.

Since I kept getting the error whaen installing I decided I had nothing to loose.

First I tried a clean cloth. I normally do that with misic CD's, however, when I tried it on a DVD it immediately caused scratches.

Then I tried the fairy liquid. The disk came out spotless. It had even removed some sticky goo that had gotten on the disks somehow.

And I mean spotless, shiny like new.

No install problems since.

What I did in steps:

Lay down some sheets of thick tissue paper on a kitchen towel, to later dry the disk.

Fill a sink with lukewarm water.

Dip the DVD in there to get it wet. Keep holding it.

Drop some fairy liquid on the shiny side.

Spread it around with your fingers.

Hold it in the water and gently rub the surface with your fingers to remove the fairy liquid.

Lift out of the water.

Drip dry by dabbing the edge with tissue paper (side on)

Lay the disk down on the tissue you prepared.

Lay some tissue over it.

Make sure no paper is stuck to it while it dries.

The first disk I ever cleaned this way was the fsx-disk. I since cleaned most of my music-CD's this way also and they all still work.

But I can perfectly understand you are hesitant to try this.

I can't guarantee it will help wih installing of course. And I can't guarantee the disk wont get damage from cleaning.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"All you need is a clean soft cloth (not wet) and silver or brass polish."

Sound advice. I've also had good luck on minor scratches with toothpaste. YMMV.....

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

"All you need is a clean soft cloth (not wet) and silver or brass polish."

Doug

Ah.....reminisant of the good ole days of polishing the scratches in the copier's Selenium Drums! Yay Brasso! Boo Selenium.....deadly poisonous!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

FTR, the Steam version is FSX Deluxe + Acceleration.

You cannot use it to upgrade from Deluxe to Accel, it would be a separate, complete install of FSX.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Just so this doesn't get buried in case the OP only reads the last post:

"oh well, I might get the stem edition if it goes down again as it is back to 25, anyway, I will then be able to do multiplayer again! "

Multiplayer works fine in Deluxe SP2.

"FTR, the Steam version is FSX Deluxe + Acceleration.

You cannot use it to upgrade from Deluxe to Accel, it would be a separate, complete install of FSX."

-Pv-

Archived