Nvida GT Titian Black DDR5 6gb video card and FSX?

hey guys um so yeah my friend offered me a Nvida GT Titian Black DDR5 6gb video card for free, yes i said for free he is giving me a $1'1999.00 video card for $0. but my question is that will this Video card massively improve my FSX FPS

my current pc specs are

RAM 12gb DDR3 1333 ADATA

Video ASUS Nvidia Geforce GT 610 2gb DDR3

CPU AMD phenom II 3.20ghz Six core am3 socket

7200rpm 1TB HDD 1 secondary 1500gb HDD 5200rpm external

OS Windows 7

Ultimate 64bit SP1

link to video card new and my old one

new http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-titan-black/specifications

old http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-610/specifications

but how is my CPU bottle necking my FPS it shouldn't its a 6core 3.20 ghz how will that bottle neck it how do I fix that with out spending a whole lot and my old CPU was a Amd athelon x2 255 3.1 ghz dual core.

This a little frustrating.

Frame rates in FSX are heavily dependent on the CPU, how fast the CPU can process the data and feed the result to the video card. This is what is meant by the CPU being a bottleneck. The number of cores don't make much difference either, FSX is not going to be using all of them. I have an Intel i5 at 4.2Ghz with an EVGA GTX650Ti, and while FPS are nothing to write home about, it is smooth which is all I want out of it.

...This a little frustrating.

Imagine the frustration ACES(the MS FSX development team) went thru.

When ACES started development on FSX, the CPU trend was Single core chips that were getting faster and faster. It would't be hard for them to project that we should have 5+GHz CPUs available by RTM time:

Early 2003 we had 3.0GHz chips available. Mid 2003 3.2GHz was hitting the market.

February, 2004 the Pentium 4 HT 3.4 @ 3.4 GHz was the top dog. In June 2004 Intel released the Pentium 4 HT 560 @ 3.6GHz. By late 2004 P4 Extreme Editions were only running 3.46GHz, but accommodated the 25% faster 1066MHz bus. November 2004 brought the Pentium 4 HT 570J screamer at 3.8GHz. That trend continued into early 2005.

By then FSX development was well on it's way. The ACES team had no idea that the CPU mfgs. were going in another direction: Slower Multi-core chips. Bang! April/May 2005 AMD and Intel both released Dual Core chips. By early 2006 the dual core had a foothold, in the mainstream market, and the fast single core was on it's way out.

AMD's architecture moved further, and further, toward a multi-threading environment. To the point that their single-threaded processing suffered.

That's why Intel chips are prefered for FSX. Superior single-threaded processing.

Bottom line? FSX is primarily a single threaded app. SP1 and SP2 helped a little.

64bit code and multithreading would have virtually constituted a complete rewrite.

Fast, unlocked, Intel chips, overclocked, are virtually the only way to max performance.

Expensive? Only relative to how much your simming is worth to you.

Example:

My system is at 4.875GHz. Fast, but, using settings that give me 25FPS minimum, at High Def Airports, I'm only using around 55% of a GTX 970.

Upgrading from an AMD HD 7970 gave me a whopping 1.5FPS gain.

The biggest performance increase I got was a memory upgrade from DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24-1T to DDR3-2400 @ 2333 10-12-12-31-2T. Another 3-4FPS. That kind of RAM speed is generally going to require a pretty hefty overclock.

Class Dismissed! :pilot: ...Don

HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW

16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)

WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

Active Sky Next, Rex4 TD/Soft Clouds

but how is my CPU bottle necking my FPS it shouldn't its a 6core 3.20 ghz how will that bottle neck it how do I fix that with out spending a whole lot and my old CPU was a Amd athelon x2 255 3.1 ghz dual core.

FSX is largely a single threaded application and gains more from increasing clock speed than core count. It will use more than one core when loading scenery, but the main flight sim engine, AI and ATC etc. all run on one core. And, unlike most games, it does not make full use of GPUs.

A dual core or quad core intel @ 4 ghz or higher will run circles around that.

For FSX, core is king (even single core), and intel processors do far better than AMD.

I've seen quite a performance jump from my stock 3.4 Ghz vs overclocked 4.3 Ghz i5, using an NVidia GTX 660.

How do I get access to the Source Code

With commercial software like FSX the only people with access to the source code are the application's developers, and anyone they sell a licence to. In this case Microsoft has the source code, and have recently licensed it to Dovetail Games. However, if you make the right offer, I'm sure Microsoft would be happy to let you access the source code too. At that point you would need to get into some pretty heavy development work to make the sim fully multi-threaded.

well... Deep Pockets... um... yeah... what deep pockets and yeah if i can get dove tail to sponsor my display team maybe they will give a source code but i highly doubt that they would do that especially if they are building on FSX. I hope they make it less crappy then FSX. and i also need other help here aswell that is some what related to video cards. Nvida inspector. what are the optimal settings for FSX in Nvida inspector. And i also got this software called FSdreamteam addon manager http://www.fsdreamteam.com/sa-addon-manager-setupx what are the recomended setting for that one too.

You'd be better off by paying $20 dollars and licensing the Unreal 4 engine with it's source code.

And how does that help FSX run on all cores?

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Because Unreal 4 is at least possible to license and you could build a sim from it. FSX isn't? It's called being realistic, and not living in a fantasy world.

It still isn't going to help with the OP's current questions about running FSX.

You'd be better off by paying $20 dollars and licensing the Unreal 4 engine with it's source code.

And how does that help FSX run on all cores?

Because Unreal 4 is at least possible to license and you could build a sim from it. FSX isn't? It's called being realistic, and not living in a fantasy world.

Thanks for not answering my question.

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

It still isn't going to help with the OP's current questions about running FSX.

And your solution of finding the source code, and having a single developer maintain it was somehow actually useful? Perhaps I'm actually mocking the entire idea?

But please tell us what he could do that ESP and P3D teams haven't been able to manage to do in the past 8 years! You think it might actually be hardware constraints that make it single processor heavy like every other game from the last generation?

And your solution of finding the source code, and having a single developer maintain it was somehow actually useful? Perhaps I'm actually mocking the entire idea?

But please tell us what he could do that ESP and P3D teams haven't been able to manage to do in the past 8 years! You think it might actually be hardware constraints that make it single processor heavy like every other game from the last generation?

At no time was I trying to suggest the OP, or anyone else here, actually try to get the source code and re-write the sim. He wanted to know what was needed to make FSX use more cores, and then how to get access to the source code. The overall gist of my responses was to get at the fact that there is no way for those of us in this forum to change how the sim runs.

Hi

fsx is just about CPU. i run my fsx with a titan and it only helps a bit when in heavy weather and with detailed clouds.

my cpu is at 4.7.

you will only have a chance of gaining frames by eliminating or downgrading other settings. it´s just about your taste. what you need to have in your sim and what not.

http://flightsimex.blogspot.com/2014/12/ultimate-experience.html

check my settings. maybe they work for you

Ben

Wow! this thread ran off a cliff in a hurry. Anyway, as has been stated, That titan is certainly a massive improvement over the 610 but will be hamstrung by the rest of the system. Pair that bad boy up with an overclocked Hazwell, and you'll really be hauling the mail LOL! Anyway good luck and regards.
I7 3770K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus Z77pro, NVIDIA 670FTW, 2 Samsung 840 pro 256 Gb, 8 Gb Corsair Vengeance 1866 Mhz . Corsair 850W modular

Archived