Thread: Article: SketchUp Tutorial Part Five

Blog Entries

Default Article: SketchUp Tutorial Part Five

Nice article.
    But I think you should explain that the biggest problem with Sketchup texturing is that it's not possible to apply multilayers materials, like any other 3D software can do. It's REALLY a big issue.
    So Sketchup is very usefull for buildings modeling, or small objects, but you can forget about aprons, taxiways and runways.

Quote Originally Posted by mehmnoch View Post
    Nice article.
    But I think you should explain that the biggest problem with Sketchup texturing is that it's not possible to apply multilayers materials, like any other 3D software can do. It's REALLY a big issue.
    So Sketchup is very usefull for buildings modeling, or small objects, but you can forget about aprons, taxiways and runways.
    Maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick, but for the placement of aprons, taxiways and runways a developer would use WED.

If you wanted to edit or change runway (or similar) textures, then that would simply mean editing or replacing the existing dds file.

Cheers

Dom
    Last edited by DominicS; 11-25-2014 at 02:13 PM.

Sketchup can be used in the Microsoft flight Simulators too.
    Cheers
    MB

Dom,
    I was not talking about the placement, but the creation of orginal ones. I develop sceneries with a friend, and we use sketchup for the modeling of everything. But if you want to have an original apron or runaway, looking close to the original, we have to use GMax or 3DSMax, for modeling AND texturing.
    Replacing the original DDS texture files is the absolute thing NOT to do : all airports in the sim will use your texture (exactly what you don't want ).
    hope i'm clearer (excuse my english, it's not my birth language )

Dom,
    I was not talking about the placement, but the creation of orginal ones. I develop sceneries with a friend, and we use sketchup for the modeling of everything. But if you want to have an original apron or runaway, looking close to the original, we have to use GMax or 3DSMax, for modeling AND texturing.
    Replacing the original DDS texture files is the absolute thing NOT to do : all airports in the sim will use your texture (exactly what you don't want ).
    hope i'm clearer (excuse my english, it's not my birth language )
    Ah...I understand now

I was thinking more along the lines of replacing the default textures for the entire simulator; runway textures for example. Yes, to create custom runways and taxiways, you are quite correct.

Maybe in future releases? We can always ask Santa

Dom

Transparent windows could be an interesting topic when combined with interior designs, like the interior of a terminal that can be seen through the windows from the outside. Free ware Houston KIAH offers an example . But most importantly, you learn texturing by experiencing, SketchUp lets you use common sense if you don't like tutorials.

Nice article.

Build with Sketchup. Texture with Photoshop or equivalent (Gimp, Paint.net). Buildings/Objects are great that way.

Custom flat work (taxiways, runways etc.). Build with WED for precise layout. Set texture to something very visible.
    Develop custom texture in PS or other.
    Write simple .pol file (overlay) and drape texture on flat surfaces required. I use Overlay Editor by Marginal (Jonathan Harris).
    In WED, make those original surfaces transparent (avoids texture issues in-sim). See only your custom textures in-sim.
    Done.
    A few more steps in the workflow, but overall, no more time to create.
    Can all be done with free tools.

bc
    Last edited by Bamboo Cougar; 12-10-2014 at 11:24 PM.