How to use FSX in Single Monitor Full Screen mode (with a multi-monitor setup)

AlconburyBlues

I found an easy trick to get FSX in single monitor mode in full screen.

I also have the answer to those that are saying FSX chooses the wrong monitor as the primary. I'll answer that question first.

Note: The solution for the primary problem requires use of the "Opening Screen". (i.e. Settings - General - Show Opening Screen)

FSX will use whatever monitor the Opening Screen started on as the primary. Drag the Opening Screen to the monitor you want as primary before launching your flight. It's that easy. FSX will put the panel on that screen and the other(s) will be blanked out for you to drag panel items to. I've tried it on 2-, 3-, and even 5- monitor systems. If I have the Opening Screen the left monitor, the cockpit will end up there. If it's in the middle, there. On the right, you get the idea.

As far as the single monitor mode in full screen, so you can view external apps on the 2nd monitor or whatever else you do.....

Note: I have tested this "trick" launching with the Opening Screen and launching without it. But for some graphics cards FSX will "play nice" if you use the Opening Screen. So my example will reflect using it. But the idea of tricking FSX into thinking you have one monitor is still the same. If you DO launch FSX without the Opening Screen, don't be surprised if there is quite a delay before FSX decides to "come back".

The solution: Use the presentation mode hotkey switch BEFORE launching FSX: Windows-key + P

Hold down Windows while pressing P until you have "Computer only" selected. (For those that have only 2 monitors you can also chose "Projector only" if you want FSX on the other one, but let's avoid confusion for now.) Wait for your monitors to switch. Now you are in single-monitor mode. And launch FSX.

This works because FSX does it's hardware detection during startup. Now it thinks you only have ONE monitor.

Once the Opening Screen is up. Press Windows-P again until you have "Extend" selected. Now your other monitor(s) come up.

NOW, launch your flight and voila! FSX in FULL SCREEN in SINGLE MONITOR mode! Awesome.

Now you can use your external moving map program, or Google Earth, or view FSX websites, etc, WHILE you are simming.

Enjoy!

p.s. I discovered this by accident when I was setting up a conference room at work after hours. I hooked up one of my laptops that I have FSX on to their big 180-inch screen (cool!) to have a little fun. When the big screen was blanked out but FSX was on the laptop screen, I had realized what happened and started playing with the Presentation Mode hotkeys, and... haha!!

Archived