In Some way related to Addon Airport Thread

goldhawk

I think I am about to answer my own question. However, what would be generally accepted as too many add ons?

I ask this because my aircraft directory is now around 3.3 gig.

I guess some would say that as long as your frame rates are not taking too many hits and / or you are not having crashes to desk top you are good to go.

I guess also load time is a consideration.

However I know other hard core simmers that say if they have a few decent planes, and a runway to take off from and land on THEN all of the eye candy is really not needed.

What would you say? An aircraft directory of 3+ gig is a bit much including a bunch of AI stuff?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

.::Gateway::. i5, 8GB Memory, 2gb Nvidia Video Card, Win7, FS9, FSX, P3D

Android User. Sometimes Ubuntu User.

I don't think there is a limit, I've heard the scenery library will only display a certain number of entries, though more may be active (if there's a limit it must be over 300, I have around that many and all display). More aircraft will greatly increase loading times; my aircraft folder has 471 entries (about 70% AI) occupying 24gig ...I can go make a sandwich and cup of tea while the sim loads.

More aircraft will greatly increase loading times; my aircraft folder has 471 entries (about 70% AI) occupying 24gig ...I can go make a sandwich and cup of tea while the sim loads.

Why not move the aircraft you are not currently flying to a temporary folder? You can then move any you want to fly back to their correct place in the sim.

Dijvid

Why not move the aircraft you are not currently flying to a temporary folder? You can then move any you want to fly back to their correct place in the sim.

Dijvid

I am insufferably lazy.

Plus I frequently have no idea what I'll fly until I'm scrolling the list in the sim. My original solution was to right-click each flyable aircraft and "add to zip", then delete all but defaults (all sounds were moved to a "_sounds" folder and all aircraft appropriately aliased so I wouldn't load a plane with no sound). I then had each aircraft as a zipfile in the main aircraft folder, right-click any and "extract here" to have it in the sim and delete it again later. But I have since deleted a couple of hundred "hangar queens" so the majority of remaining aircraft are AI, and I am certainly too lazy to ascertain which of those would be pertinent to a current flight.

FWIW, the "right-click and add to zip" is how I backup fs9.cfg, scenery.cfg, the logbook, aircraft cfg and panel cfg files. Makes them easy to restore.

Guest Sascha66

I have 47 GB of aircraft AFTER rigorously cleaning out everything I haven't used in a couple of years. There is a nice freeware utility which removes aircraft from the selection menu only - they stay in the sim - which is great for removing AI aircraft from the list. It also does lots of other useful stuff for FS.

http://www.wolfgang-picheta.de/

Archived