London > Winnipeg - Would it work?

Mrlift35

Hi all,

I was wondering if a twice weekly service from London-Winnipeg would work?

Of the following aircraft, which would work best on the route?

Aircraft possibilities:

- Boeing 787-8/9

- Airbus A321neoLR

- Airbus A330-800/900

I am also looking at other possible routes from London Gatwick and Manchester which currently do not have much competition but would be large enough to run profitably on any of the aircraft listed above.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Max

No, it's not going to work. Not enough paying customers to generate a profit, thus inhibiting route incorporation of flyable aircraft.

If I'm not mistaken, the same goes for Gatwick and Manchester. In fact, I'm removing all of those airports from FS9 due to low passenger loads.

I hope this helps clear up your inquiry at this time. Please report back if you should see an upturn in the economy and/or terminal crowding.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No, it's not going to work. Not enough paying customers to generate a profit, thus inhibiting route incorporation of flyable aircraft.

If I'm not mistaken, the same goes for Gatwick and Manchester. In fact, I'm removing all of those airports from FS9 due to low passenger loads.

I hope this helps clear up your inquiry at this time. Please report back if you should see an upturn in the economy and/or terminal crowding.

Thanks for your response!

I am a little confused as to what you mean when you say 'In fact, I'm removing all of those airports from FS9 due to low passenger loads' because Gatwick and Manchester are the second and third largest airports in the UK.

I understand that Winnipeg may not be the largest market in Canada but it is the seventh largest city in Canada by population (663,617) and there are not many other large cities for some way around with routes to Europe. Even Newcastle, United Kingdom with a population of just 279,100 will soon have a direct route to New York!

I am not sure the route would attract many tourists from Europe but I think that people of Winnipeg would appreciate a direct route to Europe rather then having to make a connection.

I know it must sound like I am defending the route but I really don't see how it could not support an Airbus A321neoLR, seating 164, once a week seasonally.

Regards,

Max

Max, I am pretty sure that Tom is pulling your virtual leg.

His way of saying, it's a sim, do what you want.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Some Great Circle navigation info London -> Winnipeg:

Distance 3405 nm

Initial bearing: 310

bearing at 1/4 distance: 293

bearing at midpoint: 268

bearing at 3/4 distance: 244

bearing at arrival: 228

midpoint: N61:34 W49:38

furthest north: N61:35 at W47:07

Steve from Mudgee.

Steve from Murwilllumbah.

Some Great Circle navigation info London -> Winnipeg:

Distance 3405 nm

Initial bearing: 310

bearing at 1/4 distance: 293

bearing at midpoint: 268

bearing at 3/4 distance: 244

bearing at arrival: 228

midpoint: N61:34 W49:38

furthest north: N61:35 at W47:07

Steve from Mudgee.

Where should I stop to refuel? My GMC truck doesn't have that much range on a tankful.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Here's a lo-res image of the Great Circle path, done in such a way that it is shown as a "straight line". The midpoint is indicated. Sanity check: because the two places have very similar latitudes, the midpoint is very close to the most northerly point, at which of course the bearing is 90/270.

Credits:

Calculations: Ed White's fabulous avform.xls spreadsheet.

Image: GCMWin, a great freeware mapping program.

Data Manipulation: me

Steve from Mudgee.

london-winnipeg.jpg

Steve from Murwilllumbah.

The November edition of Airways magazine [http://www.airwaysnews.com] has an interesting article on Winnipeg. In it it states:

"On the international front, Air Canada used to operate a nonstop flight to London in the 1990s, but this was scaled back due to economic reasons. The airport hopes that the new terminal building and traffic growth at YWG will convince the national carrier to return."

Dijvid

Archived