Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: On long flights do most people go real time, increase speed of sim, or slew?

Blog Entries

Default On long flights do most people go real time, increase speed of sim, or slew?

I was talking to a virtual airline captain who told me he takes off, sets the flight director, goes and mows the yard, showers, etc., and then lands. Is that to maintain a schedule or to maintain realism? I have seen kids flying who just crank up the speed of the FSX sim, but things can go haywire quickly. I seem to remember the old MSFS had a "slew" setting to get from one place to another quickly. So, how do you guys go about a long cross country?

No acceleration, and always with ActiveSky 'real' weather. The virtual airlines I fly don't allow acceleration, either. Long flights done this way require determination and discipline, and a desire for a bit more realism, I think.

But how realistic is it to go mow your yard, etc. I don't see the advantage of real time for realism if you go do unrelated things. I don't use acceleration much on long flights, but I will occasionally go 2x during a long leg, 4x if I have a time crunch occur during the flight. I do try to keep it at real time as much as possible. Better when you are flying low and slow and have good scenery installed.

Blog Entries

I speed it up to 16x. (That's as fast you can go without losing the autopilot). I don't have a lot of time to sit at my pc for hours on end.
    Dell XPS X8300 Intel core i7-2600(3.4 GHZ,8 MB Cache) 8 GB memory 1.5 TB HDD 2 GB Nvidia 1050 ti graphics card Windows 7

And to get as unrealistic as it gets, I'm about to take the barron 58 for a spin from TNCM to TNCM non stop. I figure 3 or 4 days but I'm not really sure. TNCM to KLAX is 16 hours so it will be interesting to see what other legs i can stretch during the trip. I too will take a 777 off and set the autopilot, go mow,eat, enjoy the outdoors then come back and land the plane.

I fly strictly GA, one or two engines. I try to limit my flight time to two hours or less, occasionally I'll go for a 4 hour trip (KMRY to KAST, for example) and pause the flight briefly to get something to eat, but nothing over 4 hours. No acceleration, etc. I agree with mstang67 about the nice scenery--one of the reasons I fly VFR with photoreal scenery. If you're going to speed up the sim just to get to the landing phase, what's the point of flying at all? Just my $.02.

kingnorris

+1

Cheers,

Blog Entries

Slew? As an option to speed up time/fly faster?

I usually fly real time, but go to 4x for tubeliner flights over about 2 hours.
    One of the reasons often given for flying real time is realism.
    What is true to life about sitting in front of a computer for hours on end watching a screen?
    The only true to life aspect is the time. Everything else is simulated.
    Anybody heat up a frozen meal to simulate airline food?

Bob

Sent from my tablet thingy!

I fly GA mostly so generally always real time. Flights of up to 2 hours is about all I can handle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast