Thread: Fly- by-wire airbus

Default Fly- by-wire airbus

I am learning and I have some doubts about the FBW system, Airbus, thanks to help!

Wikipedia: " *Fly-by-wire* (FBW) is a system that replaces the conventional manual flight controls
    of an aircraft with an electronic
    interface. The movements of flight controls are converted to electronic signals transmitted by wires (hence the fly-by-wire term), and flight control computers determine how to move theactuators
    at each control surface to provide the ordered response. The fly-by-wire system also allows automatic signals sent by the aircraft's computers to perform functions without the pilot's input, as in systems that automatically help stabilize the aircraft "

1) So the signals of the various movements of the flight controls are sent to "computers". Is it sent to the DMC computers?

2) How does A/P comunicate with the plane? Does the A/P also send his data somewhere?

3) If we would lose FADEC, we have to gravity feed, right?

Wikipedia: The Airbus A320 and its fly-by-wire brethren are protected from dangerous situations such as low-speed stall overstressing by flight envelope protection

4) Do the AoA senqors send their data to the flight envelope protection?

5) Are their very sharp bank angle sensors? If yes, where does it send it's data? If no, how does the plane calculate it?

6) There is a mechanical back-up for pitch trim in alternate and direct law, what is that mechanical back-up?

7) If anyone could add something or precise something, it would be really helpful for me!

Thanks a lot!

2. Default

Is difficult to answer in a few words anyway I ll try to keep it as simple as possible.
    -The signals from the sidesticks and pedals are sent to two ELAC (elevator and aileron computers) 3 sec (spoiler and elevator computers) and 2 FAC (Flight augmentation computers) all this comp. talk to each other and also to approximately 100 others that contrlol and monitor all airplane systems including of course A/P and Autothrust.
    -If you have a total FADEC fault the engine will shut down.
    -The AOA sensors are part of the several data received by flt control computers, and they are used in the envelope protection
    -The airplane attitude (including the bank angle) is computed by 3 ADIRS (air Data and Inertial reference system)
    In direct law, autopitch trim is not available and can be manually set by the trim wheel in the pedestal. It's a normal trim system as found in almost all airplane, with the only problem that there is not force feedback in the sidestick so it's a little more difficult.
    The "total" mechanical back up is the last chance to control the airplane when both sidesticks are inoperative. The airplane is manually control through manual trim for the pitch and rudder pedals for yaw and roll, of course throttle is also used.
    I've been flying the MD11 for the last 14 years so I'm sorry if inadvertently said something not fully correct, my last landing on the A321 was in January 2001!