Thread: Do European and Asian Airports restruct privet aircraft

1. Default Do European and Asian Airports restruct privet aircraft

if so is there a listing that shows which airports restrict privet aircraft?

Airspace is divided into various categories, the most restrictive being A, typically found around the busiest airspace - which inevitably means international airports. It's possible, with permission, to fly a light aeroplane into a major airport. It will cost cost you an awful lot of money and cause disruption to scheduled services, so the controllers will likely insist you go elsewhere unless it's an emergency.

I have personally flown over Auckland International airport in New Zealand a couple of times (with ATC consent) but doing that over say... London Heathrow would probably alert not only the air traffic authorities but the local police as well.

Other restricted areas are caused by special purpose areas, military ranges and installations, areas of natural beauty, or terrain avoidance.

You can find such information from aviation maps and airport plans, available commercially (there some internet sites that give similar information). In FS2004, there's less of a problem The controllers are very accomodating and let GA operate from the busiest airports if they request it.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by caldrail View Post
    I have personally flown over Auckland International airport in New Zealand a couple of times (with ATC consent) but doing that over say... London Heathrow would probably alert not only the air traffic authorities but the local police as well.
    Not really. I know of somebody (an instructor) who has flown through Heathrow airspace in an ultralight several times - whilst a radio is technically optional he says that is a wise idea. He always calls in and nobody has ever objected to his presence although he has been asked a few times to identify his type of aircraft as they are puzzled at an aircraft on the radar proceeding so slowly. The safest place to be is right over Heathrow of course, as most aircraft are below you.

John

Mid-field crossing used to be allowed over many airports but I guess with security issues these days it is porbably not anymore.